Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Chronicles of Druss the Legend

Options
  • 30-12-2003 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Just finished this book the other night (by David Gemmell). Have to say that it was quite possibly one of the best books I've ever read, and I've read a lot of fantasy/sci-fi in my time. The ending was just so perfect, its amazing. And the bucketloads of violence in it too seemed to help also.
    Anyone else here read it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

I most certainly have, my favorite author in fact. If you havent read anything else by Mr Gemmell try Legend, his first book and it also features the man himself - Druss. Brilliant books, theres also the Legend of deathwalker and White Wolf for more of Druss adventures. Ahh just read em all, they're all excellent in my opinion but i am biased as i love his style of writing and the core of all his stories.

To anyone who hasn't read any Gemmell........ you should :D Legend or Waylander are probably the best to start with. I'm going to stop now before i babble all day about the excellence of Mr. Gemmell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Always perfered the Waylander series - legendary assassin and all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Waylander is cool alright. Jon Shannow is also well worth a look if you get a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

I love the first Jon Shannow books and the 3 Waylander books are excellent as well. The first one is the strongest book of all, but the end of the third book basically makes the series. The 2nd and 3rd Jon Shannow books ain't great, worth reading if you like the character at all, but they feel slightly off, and the ending of the 3rd book tries to hard to be character perfect and comes across badly. Still good books, but not as good as they could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Originally posted by MarVeL
    Waylander is cool alright. Jon Shannow is also well worth a look if you get a chance

Thanks - I'll certainly pick it up next time Im by Easons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

In less than 2 months, I've read all the Drenai novels (Legend, King Beyond the Gate, Quest for lost hero's, Waylander I & II, First chronicles of Druss and the Legend of Deathwalker). Have to say that they were all class, some brilliantly created characters in all of them (Ananais, Chareos, Druss, Waylander, Angel, Pagan, Sieben etc.). Some great bittersweet parts too, like the way Rowena seeks out Druss on the battlefield as she is dying.
    Think I might start on the Jon Shannow books next, or pick up a copy of White Wolf. Some of Gemmell's books contain a pair of twins and they are supposed to be a good read - anyone any idea which books these are?

How can you read Waylander I and II and not finish the series. Its the end of book 3 that makes the series so great basically. He's a **** cool hero, and you like his story, but it's only when you finish book 3 that you get closure. I've never finished a series and been so happy and so sad at the same time as when I finished that book.

Hero In The Shadows

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Are you sure the series is over though? Seems to me that there is still the possibility at the end

If he has any sense it is finished. He'd have to destroy the point of the ending of book 3 to make a sequel tbh.

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    How can you read Waylander I and II and not finish the series. Its the end of book 3 that makes the series so great basically. He's a **** cool hero, and you like his story, but it's only when you finish book 3 that you get closure. I've never finished a series and been so happy and so sad at the same time as when I finished that book.

Hero In The Shadows

Didn't know that there was a third book in the series. Picked it up in Hoggis Figgis yesterday though and am on my way through it. Its got a lot more humour in it than the other one's, which is great. Hope its as good as the others.

• Advertisement

Just finished 'Hero in the Shadows' a little earlier. Ye were right, feckin' class book, probably the best of the three.....although thats a hard one to call. Great ending.

Advertisement