Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc wont boot

• 30-12-2003 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

i just installed a new sound card in my pc, and when i turn it on, windows doesn't boot.. the computer goes on for bout 7seconds, then it reboots and does the same thing for about 3 times and then my monitor goes off..
    i was tryin to get into the bios, but when i press the delete key the bios opens up but i can't navigate through the bios (as if my keyboard wasn't responding)..
    i am sure that all of my parts are working properly, as i didn't damage or remove them.. ive even removed the soundcard and still the same problem
    i think the problem might be the motherboard..
    any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

is your CPU fan still working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

ye, the cpu fan is working, and everything else seems to be in order...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

try it with the new hardware removed again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

put you old soundcard in see what happens then, how many beeps are you getting the post

i was usin on board sound before and i dont get any beeps when i load the comp up.. it just reboots 3 times :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Sounds like IRQ problem.What motherboard is it?Have you tried resetting cmos?Most motherboards have escd reset where you say yes and it reassigns irqs in system after reboot.Did you try unplugging system from mains for few minutes to let things settle?regds kmb

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Are you using a usb keyboard? If you are try with a ps2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by kmb
    Have you tried resetting cmos?

That's the first thing I would try. Locate the cmos jumper on the motherboard and reset it for a few seconds. If you can't find it, check your motherboards manual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭leonlafrite

Try to disable the onboard Soundcard, it should either be done from the BIOS or moving a "jumper" on the mainboard.

L.

i've already reset the cmos.. and yes i was using a usb keyboard, but i plugged in a ps2 one and still, the same problem..
    and i had the onboard sound disabled before putting in the new sound card (which is now out)

my motherboard is in the MSI MEGA PC Barebone PC Socket 478
    SIS651

• Advertisement

Just in case check if ps2 mouse and keyboard are in opposite ports as it has happened before to the best of us!!! .it really sounds like IRQ problems!Also your board has onboard vga so enble this and take out all pci and agp cards.Often your agp slot shares a irq with a pci slot which i think is slot 5?Try this and report back.regds kieran

ive reset the cmos a few times now.. the rebooting has stopped but still my keyboards (ive tried 4 now) wont work..

however, when it asks me to press "delete key to enter bios or f1 to continue" it allows me to press delete key and enter bios which is strange.. but i cant acutally navigate in bios because no other key is recognised
    its really annoying, my computer has been down for a week now.. should i resort to sending it away for repair/replacement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

OK heres what to do, in order.

1. Take out the sound card

2. Reset the bios using jumpers

3. Connect the Power, monitor & PS2 Keyboard only

4. Start PC, Press Del enter bios setup and load optiomal settings, if u know what your doing then change settings to meet your hardware e.g. FSB / Mem etc.

5. The keyboard should work make sure your using the arrow keys to navigate.

6. Save settings and restart.

How this helps joePC......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Is the keyboard PS2 or a USB pluged into a PS2 adaptor if so it wont work.....

Originally posted by joePC
    OK heres what to do, in order.

1. Take out the sound card

2. Reset the bios using jumpers

3. Connect the Power, monitor & PS2 Keyboard only

4. Start PC, Press Del enter bios setup and load optiomal settings, if u know what your doing then change settings to meet your hardware e.g. FSB / Mem etc.

5. The keyboard should work make sure your using the arrow keys to navigate.

6. Save settings and restart.

ive tried that, taken out the sound card, and only connectedd the power, monitor and ps2 keyboard and still i can't navigate.. as if the keyboard isn't recognised in bios

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Random inexplicable problems? try another powersupply... the amount of hair-tearing and completely mindnumbingly weird problems that I've seen caused by a flakey power supply defies all reason. Give it a try, if it doesn't work then you have a spare PSU for those 5pm on saturday occasions when powersupplies usually choose to depart this world...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

bump
    thanks but any other suggestions
    (scrappy here, logged in as my brother:eek:)

Did u try the onboard vga like i said?Another thing to try is to press insert key while booting or turn on -off your computer 3 times in quick succession each time you hit the problem.This has worked previously.regds

I suppose you tried replacing bios battery?Never seen one go but maybe?

try another powersupply... the amount of hair-tearing and completely mindnumbingly weird problems that I've seen caused by a flakey power supply defies all reason.

well the computer doesn't seem to be lacking power as it boots up fine until the computer doesn't recognise my keyboard to navigate bios

I suppose you tried replacing bios battery?Never seen one go but maybe?

nah.. i can get into bios ok, but just can't navigate, so i doubt its the battery
    - also kmb, i tried to reboot 3 times in quick succession but to no avail... thx though

any other suggestions people?.. before i have to splash out on a new case/motherboard - {307euro from komplett}

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Latest BIOS?, if that doesn't help strip your comp to pieces - TOTALLY - and put it all on a table plug in only neccesary equipment and test; try and change one component at a time.

Advertisement