Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows problems

• 30-12-2003 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hope someone can help here.

1. When I right click on a link, and select 'open in new window' the page opens in a minimised size. Is there a setting I can use to get these pages to open in maximised size?

2. In order to type the '@' symbol I have to us the shift key and the " key. Its a Dell laptop bought here in Dublin.

Grateful for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dizzie Rascal
    2. In order to type the '@' symbol I have to us the shift key and the " key. Its a Dell laptop bought here in Dublin.
    This one's easy. Your computer is set to use a US keybord layout. Change it to Irish or British in control panel (depending on which version of windows you're using, on win2k you can click the input locales tab in Keyboard or Regional Options to efect the change)

With regard to the other problem it's a bit of trial and error. After opening the window, close the other instances of IE, stretch the window to the way you like it (not using the maximise button, actually stretch it) and hold down the shift key when closing that window. It should resolve the problem, at least for a while.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try using mozilla firebird - right click and open in new tab :)

You are using IE version unknown and patch level unknown - at a guess empty cache ??

2 - control panel - keyboard/regional settings/international - change language and keyboard layout to UK/British/English/Irish depending on what M$ call it in your version of windows

PS. this won't affect DOS - for it edit autoexec.bat and change or add Keyb UK (lots of variations on this for code page pfff...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Try using mozilla firebird - right click and open in new tab :)

jeez, everyone here is so anti IE ... I've found it to be the fastest and easiest to use browser. Firebird comes in second but is far to slow to start up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dizzie Rascal

sceptre/Capt'n Midnight

Both problems resolved.

Respect!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by ando
    jeez, everyone here is so anti IE ... I've found it to be the fastest and easiest to use browser.

Yes and another feature is its full of security holes :D
    ;)
    for gods sake it don't even have any pop-up blockling intergrated into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ah, I'm not anti-IE. I don't use it much (certainly not at home though I do in college) and it doesn't hurt me.

Advertisement