Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bruce college

Options
  • 30-12-2003 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

hi,, i'm 20 and want to do my leaving again as i want to go to college but i dont have the points to do wot i wanna do..

i wanna go to bruce college, can anyone give me details on the fees for full time one year repeat leaving cert.. thanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Why can't you wait a year and go as a mature student?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Mature student is over 21 if I recall correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

as far as i know as a mature student u have to be over 23, or so i've heard. plus i want to go to trinity, or dcu, and they would probably only have 2 or 3 places on the course i wanna do for mature students,

on wot grounds would a college take a mature student, wouldn't i have to have some experience in the field of the course i wanted to do??

does anyone have info on fees for bruce

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mature student is 23 and you want to have lifelong experience in the field or have another degree to do it.

Go to the institute, its much much better :)

thanx,, but does anyone have know how much it costs.there's no info on the website... i would go to leeson street but unfortunatley i dont have 5,000, please dont tell me its the same kinda price range
    for bruce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by PHB
    Mature student is 23 and you want to have lifelong experience in the field or have another degree to do it.

Go to the institute, its much much better :)

You don't necessarily need to be in that field (why would you bother getting a degree in a subject if you had years of experience in it? :)), just need to show that you have an aptitude for that kind of area, usually through another qualification. My brother for example, got accepted as a mature student for a cert in Construction Technology, a year after qualifying form FAS as a Cabinet Maker (carpenter for the lay person :p). From that cert then, he's entitled to go on to complete a degree, as is anyone in college :)

PRICES PEOPLE PLEASE!!

Mature students are gas. A load of old people sitting up the front of all the lectures paying mad attention...

BTW expect to pay the same for the institute as you would for bruce. I was gonna go to bruce for my LC and it would have cost 4000£ if I remember correctly. So your lookin at roughly 5000€ I reckon

thanx.. is it worth that much?, are they super powered teachers or somethin

I can't speak for Bruce, but the institute is worth paying the 5000 quid.

It totally breaks down the system and tells you how to get A's. It doesn't give you a well rounded education but you aren't looking for that, you are simply looking to get the points, so go to the Institute :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I go to Bruce Cork, Fee for one year is 5100euro if you pay in one go. Don't worry bout your age, a good of my friends r 19 and over

unfortunately, i wont be going to either for the simple reason, i cant afford it, i shall have to just go to cdvec college and do it there for bout 4900 cheaper,, it may not be as good but i dont really have much of a choice

What course are you thinking of doing. You could always try IOE on saturdays for one or two subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Skanger
    What course are you thinking of doing. You could always try IOE on saturdays for one or two subjects.

good idea. newground - you can also do leaving cert correspondance courses, I can't remember the name of the college that does it though :(

utility_ - yeah, and the mature students up the front will be the ones coming out with much better grades than you, mate.

Originally posted by eth0_
    utility_ - yeah, and the mature students up the front will be the ones coming out with much better grades than you, mate.

Doesn't matter, his daddy plays golf with the dean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

If it takes them thirty years to get the grades they want then yea gluck to them...

Bruce Dublin is meant to be **** now anyway, half the teachers left and the sixth year numbers are only 33% of last year and such

i was just wonderin how i would be accepted into trinity after doin a plc course..

would the course have to be related to music?

i was thinkin bout the rock school in ballyfermot, does anyone know any other course that would be relevant so i could be accepted in trin, or dit etc etc.................................

correspondance?

wots involved with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Bruce is the best school ive ever went too. The teachers were ****ing brilliant. I left there two years ago. They are fired if they dont produce results. When i was there, we went through about 3 french teachers and a few honours maths ones. It was superb cos the students have the power. Its a great school and the teachers work their absolute balls off.

The instititute is a good school if you dont need a push to do your work. I did. I needed a kick up the ass and i got it too. They sorted me out. I got 150% from the teachers whenever.

Originally posted by eth0_

/me gasps!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nobody even goes to college to get good grades. It's all about the party if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Bruce is crap. Was there for 4 years. What a waste of money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by Henry_14
    Bruce is crap. Was there for 4 years. What a waste of money

dito. was there 2 years, and didnt pay off. turns out im still a lazy git.

seriously though, it went to sh|t last year with changes in admin etc... dont know if its picked up again this year. imo it wasnt worth the money, but as far as i know they've reduced their rates by a good bit this year.

If you told us what subjects you were doing and what you're aiming for we could help you :)

If you can't afford it, which is common unfortunately :/, you could always just go their for grinds on the weekends, but if you went to grinds for 4+ subjects then you'd be paying nearly the full fees anyway.

You could always get a loan or something? Its a big investment but its your education

The people who were sent to Bruce are the ones who are saying it's crap. However if YOU want good results, YOU'll put your head down and get them. You can sit listening to the greatest teacher and not learn anything if you don't want to. I went to Bruce because I felt that I needed it and they are providing me with the means.

Bruce wants your money, you want results. It's a mutualistic relationship.

If you genuinely want to learn then you will. Sure you can get an education with a library card but I doubt many people could do that. Bruce lays the course before you and if you make good use of what they have to offer then you're sorted and it's money well spent.

Unfortunately, you shouldn't have to pay 5grand for it and for what it is, it IS steep. But that's a reflection of how stupid the education system is. The points system is fúcking retarded. The people who get to become doctors are the people who can put their head down at 18 years of age- not necessarily the most intelligent but the biggest swots who want the course for "prestige".

I regret not having put a little work in a little earlier.

well i only barely passed in the first place, so i'm lookin to do bout 7 subjects, english, maths, geog, art, and music, business and home ec, these 3 i haven't done before..

i could get a loan but i'd be payin that back all year and probably wouldnt have the money to go to trinity then..

i do agree that if you were to put your heaqd down then u can get the results, but the fact of the matter is, bruce has some of the best teachers in the country, thats most likely why its so expensive, they get the job done! i dunno wot i'm gonna do for certain yet, i'd have a mch better chance at bruce than any other college cos the teaching standard is alot higher

Well then I'd suggest approaching them. Which Bruce anyway? I think there are 4 around the country.

dublin, does the fee have to be paid up front or can ya pay in instalments, or is there less to pay if u have the med card etc.. i really cant afford 5000

You should go ask them, I'm sure they'll help you out.

Try find something you really want to do, its important. It'll give you a goal to aim for, otherwise its very hard to do the work

if u pay in one go it's a single payment of 5100, they do take instalments, but it adds about 100-200 onto the complete price

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

i do some of the friday/saturday classes in the institute. i think its definitely worth it, not too expensive for the friday/saturday stuff either, teachers are really good.

things are a lot easier and id learn more in one class than an entire week in my old school, the teachers break everything down so well and just tell you what you have to do and thats it. if you can you should try it, ive done the LC before like and just want to redo a subject or two and think its ideal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement