Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iol Anytime

Options
  • 31-12-2003 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

i useually connect at (40 000bps) and now i only get (24 000bps) i am with IOL
    ANYTIME is there a way to solve this i was think of getting rid of iol anytime but i read in the contract i have to use it for a year and then i can get rid of it is there anyone in the same situation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Could be a wet line or any number of other things (including something at the ISP end - I onyl get 33.6 with Eircom but 49.2+ with everyone else). Have you tried dialling up to another ISP to see if it's a wiring problem at your end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Thats an unusual speed to get and usually signifies either a problem at IOL's end or a poor connection to the phone line.

Do you get this speed everytime you connect ? Have you added or changed anything on you home phone system, like an extension lead or something ?

I had a problem at a customers home recently where the said that since I repaired their PC they could only connect at about 24000 baud.

Turned out they had moved the machine and bought one of these roll out extension lead thingies where most was still on the roll !!! Replacing this cured the problem - 48,000 bps again.

Set up a temporary connection with eircom - the dial-up number is 1892 150150 and use any password you like ! If this improves matters then call IOL if not then review your connections.

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

thanks for the help i think it might be the wetline i get 40 000bps at rare times ill try eircom thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Ask Eircom to send a Seal Current down the line it should blast the oxidation off the line if theres anything. Remember disconnect everything from the line or it will be frizzleville.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by nellieswellies
    Ask Eircom to send a Seal Current down the line it should blast the oxidation off the line if theres anything. Remember disconnect everything from the line or it will be frizzleville.

Eh?? Could ye elaobrate a bit on this Seal Current? I can only connect at 28000bps to AOL and my free eircom a\c. Would this Seal Current be able to improve it any bit or is the copper just total ****e?

• Advertisement

Well if its a wet line there will be oxidation(rust) on the line, the Seal Current is a high voltage current sent down to blast the rust off the line I know for a fact its done on DSL so I can see no reason why they can't do it on the analogue line.

I doubt the biddies will know what your on about either but give it a go, best of luck.

Sorry never answered your question......
    Eh?? Could ye elaobrate a bit on this Seal Current? I can only connect at 28000bps to AOL and my free eircom a\c. Would this Seal Current be able to improve it any bit or is the copper just total ****e?

Depends, its worth asking for the current to be sent down if it dosent work then the copper is prolly a big pile of turd.

i got 46,000bps last night but tonight iam only getting 24,000 most be all the rain that affects it thanks nellieswellies for the info ill Ask Eircom to sent a Seal Current down the line lets hope they dont think iam a nut job

:D:D:D:D:D:p

Rang up Eircom the line is fine according to them and they never heard of a Seal Current stupid stupid Eircom fools

• Advertisement

Take screenshots with time stamps and send the complaint to comreg

Well if its a wet line there will be oxidation(rust) on the line, the Seal Current is a high voltage current sent down to blast the rust off the line I know for a fact its done on DSL so I can see no reason why they can't do it on the analogue line.

have to say after thinking about it for a minute i'm a bit skeptical about this "Seal Current" you are going on about. Would you care point me to some place where i can get information on this? If not i will just assume you are either trolling or a talking through ure arse.

And what might you know about transmission, ignorance is a dangerous thing it makes an idiot out of you, I am an ATM transmission engineer I went on the DSL installation and build training in Ericsson, part of which included the Turnstone Crossworks Back Office Managment System, look for the documentation yourself although I have the documentation on hard copy from the training.
    A seal current is a commonly used technique in order to improve complaints of speed and packet loss etc on DSL faults proven not to be hardware related on the client end.
    As is said if this can be applied to a DSL line I see no reason why this cant be applied to a normal PSTN. If you call the Eircom helpdesk you will get a biddy if you call the OLO desk you will get an engineer, an engineer will know what you are asking for.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A seal current is a commonly used technique in order to improve complaints of speed and packet loss etc on DSL faults proven not to be hardware related on the client end.
    Googling for "dsl seal-current" returns no matches. Do you have an online reference?

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    Googling for "dsl seal-current" returns no matches. Do you have an online reference?

exactly why i said i was skeptical and asked to be give a source of info on this "Seal Current". Probably should have said i had googled for it and found nothing but there ye go.
    And what might you know about transmission, ignorance is a dangerous thing it makes an idiot out of you,

I know quite a bit about transmission actually. More so on the wireless side, particularly GSM as thats the area i work in but i also studied ATM and other fixed line based networks. While i admit i dont have as much knowlegde as a person like your self working in the field i'd harldy call myself ignorant.

Arrogance is also a dangerous thing, worse that making an idiot out of you it makes you an asshole.

According to Ohms law the current flowing in a circuit is relative to the potential difference - i.e. voltage - applied accross it and the resistance in the circuit. This implies that a high(er) voltage must be applied across the subscribers line to overcome the resistance caused by corrosion in order to get sufficient current to flow to "blow away" the corrosion in question. This sounds pretty logical until you realise that there must be a circuit in order for this current to flow in the first place.

Earlier in this thread it was suggested that all appliances must be disconnected in order not to cause damage from this sealing current - so my question is - If all the appliances are removed from the subscribers end - what constitutes the Circuit ???

I could see this idea working if an engineer visited the subscribers premises and placed a short at that end and then applied the "sealing voltage " at the exchange end - but that raises more questions -

the capacitive effect of the long cables to the subscriber would couple thie initial charge to all adjacent lines in the multicore cables used - would this not have the potential (pardon the pun!) to cause damage to other subscribers equipment?

- These cables have insulation that would breakdown if too high a voltage was applied how is this prevented ?

I too am scepticle of this idea (for the reasons outlined above) perhaps a better explanation of the procedure is called for !!

Tinky

Anyone have any joy clarifying this ? Just curious!

Tnky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Now to all you skeptics in this thread...i give you this...
    The CPC1465 provides a polarity-insensitive DC termination for wetting current and a recognizable signature for MLT systems. The part has excellent linearity to minimize the harmonic distortion associated with its AC impedance and well-controlled turn-on and turn-off characteristics to minimize impulse noise and possible in-band signal energy into the DSL channel. Since it interfaces to the tip/ring pair, it is rated in excess of 300V to handle power cross and lightning transients. The part will be manufactured in Clare's proven 320V SOI process and packaged in a 16 pin SOIC. The CPC1465 is pin-compatible with the Agere LH1465AAE, the only other silicon solution available in the past

Wetting current, also known as loop sealing current, is a low-level DC current (usually less than 20 mA) applied to a loop for the specific purpose of maintaining cable splice integrity by preventing the build-up of oxidation. The wetting current mainly addresses all-digital services on dry loops, unlike services with underlying POTS (ADSL for example) that inherently provide wetting current by means of off-hook loop current. With many service providers recently completing field trials for SHDSL, the symmetrical high-speed service with data rates up to 2.3 Mbps is poised for significant growth in 2003.

Source: http://www.clare.com/Newsroom/2002PR/PR_Dec102002.htm

Search for Wetting current or loop sealing current in google does return a few results, so what he says is true ;)

0wn3d :D

Advertisement