Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ginger Snaps

• 31-12-2003 12:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

Hey! Have any of you seen Ginger Snaps? I haven't seen it myself but i'm told it is one movie to totally scare the ****e out of ya! I think it's about werewolves.

:ninja:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

wouldnt call it a v.scary movie really , well I didnt find it too scary anywho but I didnt give it 100% attention , I was kinda distracted , Also I wasnt alone and films never ever scare me when theres company ,

when im on my own in the dark with the surround sound turned up its a different matter though ;)

[edit] from what I did see of it , it looked quite good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's a brilliant film, but not exactly scary at all I thought.
    Have it on DVD, and it's gotten a few spins.

I think the reason it was so cool, is because it takes what is essentially the only cool thing about werewolf movies, and elaborates on it. eg, the transformation scenes. I mean, look at American Werewolf in London, and tell me what scene emediatly comes to mind? Ditto, the Howling... Or just about any other decent werewolf film, which there aren't many of tbh.

So Ginger Snaps is basically about a girl slowly turning into a werewolf in plenty of gorey detail. Does kinda bottle out near the end I must say, but it's utterly fantastic other than that.

The sequal looks pretty damn good too, which should be out soon enough... I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

Not scary but i think i'm immune at this stage :)
    It is very strange though and dark... IMO

Pretty gorey though ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It was on the Sci-Fi channel there a couple of days ago (Thursday night I think). Didn't see it from the start but it seemed kind of crap.
    I dunno, you probably have to see the whole thing, but the end was nothing special anyway.
    Also when she turned into the werewolf it reminded me of Splinter from the Turtles films.
    Actually it also reminded me of Tom Savini when he turned into the rat in From Dusk Til Dawn. More so of this than Splinter but still more rat like than wolf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Is it a very old film because i was in xtravision last night enquiring about it and the guy never heard of it.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

A few years... its bound to be in some video shop near you... I've seen it in mine...
    tis an alright flick... I've watched it twice ... it isn't scary... more unusual .. cause its bout werewolves ... but you know the characters pretty well

worth a watch ... I'd put it in the same lines as Carrie 2 .. the rage one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

i thought it was absolutley brilliant, and im gonna buy it as soon i can find it.

it could have been a brilliant film on its own without even having the werewolf thing at all.

the writer obviously wanted to express her feelings on high school, the whole first period thing and and the popularity issue thats coupled with sexuality. but then lycanthropy is thrown in the mix and instead of a alternative version of "thirteen" we get Ginger Snaps. fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Ginger Snaps isn't an old movie, but because its Canadian indie, it wasn't as big as it should have been. Its not scary, the Wolf isn't at all convincing, and the editing means that some of the sub plots just vanished.

And yet, its one of the best films I've ever seen. Its nasty and funny in all the right places, and Ginger Fitzgerald is one of the coolest movie characters ever. and though it does get a little silly, I think the ending was good.

Besides, as a piece of propaganda for little sisters everywhere, I have to support it.:D

Theres a prequel and a sequel on the way, but I don't know when if ever they'll hit over here. I've actually taken to judging people by whether they've seen this and Donnie Darko...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Rented this in 2002. Like Jill said, the individual parts aren't much by themselves, but it somehow managed to be entertaining all the same.
    Not one of the greats, but worth seeing, since there isn't that many modern werewolf movies. 'Underworld' doesn't count ;)

I was kinda looking forward to Van Helsing after hearing the premise including all the various movie monsters. After seeing the trailer though, the FX, in particular for The Wolf Man, are a bit on the shoddy side. I looked it up on IMDB, and saw that it's the same director that did the crappy ' The Mummy' & ' The Mummy Returns'. So much for a decent werewolf on the big screen in May :(

• Advertisement

'Underworld' doesn't count

God, I've never wanted to stab my own eyes out more than when I sat through that film. And the dialogue....I think I'm going to cry again. Awful. Painful.......wouldn't...bloody...end....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

God, I've never wanted to stab my own eyes out more than when I sat through that film. And the dialogue....I think I'm going to cry again. Awful. Painful.......wouldn't...bloody...end....

So very true. Don't know anyone that actually liked that movie. The werewolf FX were crap, but man that hybrid thing towards the end was the pits.

I actually thought the wolves were the best part. It...was just...dire...My friends haven't forgiven me for making them see it. It had a kickass trailer...I was tricked! Tricked I tell you! I think the lowest point of my entire filmgoing adulthood was the

"They...(Grits teeth) ...forced you ....to watch (squints at prompt card?) her... die..."

Yes, you f*cking idiot, we all caught that 20 minutes ago or so, and I'd imagine he already knows. AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Luckily there was all that fantastic screen chemistry.

Sorry, I went insane there for a minute. I think I'm alright now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Finally saw it there but don't understand the deal with the whole period thing.

Advertisement