Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Error 678 = Remote Computer Not Responding

• 31-12-2003 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

I got DSL enabled yesterday with IOLBB. However I'm getting Error 678,

I have the crappy usb Zyxel modem. (actually I have two). Both give a solid green light and the icon on my computer shows a green too.

I verified that my username and password are correct and the line seems ok too, yet no matter what I do it just throws up this error.

I plugged everything out of the extensions and plugged the computer and modem into where the line comes in and I still get this error.

Any idea what could be going wrong ?

(I expect a "Serves you right for going with IOL" speech from Adam )

Damien.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Happens to me a fair bit on UTV DSL too, usually connects after 2 or 3 retries. Try setting it to retry every 1second and go watch a movie? :)

Sometimes it seems to help if you type in a deliberately wrong password, let it reject and then type in the proper one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

i know someone on Eircom (with the extremely ****ty manta stingray modem) who was having that problem a lot at a lan at his place. it seemed to help if we ignored it for 5 mins, and then retryed.

I think i am also experiencing the same error from time to time, i have an Ethernet style modem, and it doesnt like to go into specifics about why it wont connect. rebooting it usually works tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I've never successfully connected. I always get this error. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Regardless of green light, all proper connections etc i get this problem too - if you dont succeed after the 3rd try - reboot. Always works for me.

seems to be a glitch of some sort, just restart your computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ya what Ancient1 said works for me when that happens as well

• Advertisement

Tried those suggestions. Nope. :( Still being a bastard.

Wonder is it the quality of the line ? Odd though cos I past the line tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

Have you confirmed that they've actually switched your account on? This happened to me when I first got it. I rang them up and they activated it in about an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭P3nfold

Call up technical support and ask them to give you the details for the IOL woosh test and give them the DUN error code: 678. it may need to be escalated to the eircom staff.

Yeah, rang tech support who got on to Eircom. Waiting to hear back now.

Eh, whats the woosh test ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭P3nfold

It wouldn't actual be a woosh test, we tend to miscontrue certain terms. It is a DUN/RAS test to check for any client or server side error messages. There are about 10 well known server-side error messages, and a 678 is one of them. In my experience it's usually either that your username is ghosted on the server which can be suspended and resumed or there are technical faults.

• Advertisement

Well after going through every single suggestion tech support gave me and lugging my comp downstairs I got tired and just rang Doreen Stephens in Complaints who got someone with a clue to ring me.

And I was told that with all the details in the ticket they should have known it was a server side issue besides getting me to try all the other crap.

I did a few simple things like logging in with an unknown username and they checked their logs and saw that I wasn't getting to their authentication servers.

Seems my signal gets to the exchange and the eircom equip and doesn't get passed on to the IOl equipment.

Eircom are now investigating this. I'm not the only person this is happening to. Others have this issue too.

Advertisement