Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunnes Stores Idea of a Sale

• 31-12-2003 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Here's a new one. Friend goes into Dunnes Stores , pre sale, sees item of clothing marked down 33% off Tag price. This was Christmas eve.

Goes into Dunnes Stores on sale day, 2 days later and finds the same item marked down 25% off Tag price. In other words it was MORE expensive in their Sale.

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Is their sale officially on yet or are only certain items discounted ?

I bought a jumper at 33 percent off before Christmas but seriously considered waiting until it was reduced further. Wonder if the price has gone up. :p

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

ahhmm.. I don't think its actually Dunnes Sale.

On Christmas eve they had a good lot of stuff at 33% off which was great - got a few lastminute pressies that way. They later had a few days at which all non-grocery stuff was at 25% off.. just like in December they had 20% off on groceries - none of these are their sales - they are not - in fairness - advertised as sales they are just days with x% off and God knows we could do with them rather than so-called sales such as some places have..

I don't know why Dunnes are cutting prices so much (though I see milk is at 1.10 now rather than the 99c and 1.01 it was at) these few weeks but its good news. only problem is when they have their sale they'll have to be giving quite large discounts !

Happy New Year to you all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Ahhhhh OK, its not "a sale" or "the sale" then.

Sorry :(

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

it was not a sale, just rather slick way of making people think that it was 'the sale' ..... 'the sale' i believe will start early in jan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Dunnes for Clothes? my oh my...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Dunnes for Clothes? my oh my...

You might want to revisit your opinions - Dunnes clothes have come on leaps and bounds (believe it or not) ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

mens have improved a helluva lot since 2000 and thats whether there is a sale on or not. They had perfectly decent jeans (cut and material ) for €10 recently which is absloutely nuthin . These are ideal for work if there is a good chance they will get dirty .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I work in Dunnes and its fun in night clubs these days because the amount of Dunnes threads i see is unreal[you would expect them to be flashing other labels].I have no problem with them either. They look alright and are really cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Originally posted by parsi

I don't know why Dunnes are cutting prices so much (though I see milk is at 1.10 now rather than the 99c and 1.01 it was at) these few weeks but its good news. only problem is when they have their sale they'll have to be giving quite large discounts !

I work in dunnes and i can tell you why the price of milk went up. They started getting milk in from Northern Ireland cheaper, the irish farmers wouldnt stand for that and started their own protests. Basically what they would do is they about 200 of them (maybe less its hard to tell) would all go into a specific Dunnes and they would block up all the isles, they would stand their with trolleys with one or two items in them and talk in the isles in groups of three or four. Then they moved up to the checkouts and blocked them up instead. It was actually pretty funny and even most of the managers took it in good humour except the store manager.

They couldnt kick them out because 1. they could say im not protesting against anyting im just doin my shopping and 2 it was too much hassel trying to get rid of all of them. They stayed about 5 1/2 hours in the shop im in (blanch). They actually got Navan to close down and a few days after they left we were told they were no longer gettin in milk from the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How come they aren't blockcading Lidl or Aldi who get all their milk from the north or are they just too thick to notice?

They couldnt kick them out because 1. they could say im not protesting against anyting im just doin my shopping and 2 it was too much hassel trying to get rid of all of them. They stayed about 5 1/2 hours in the shop im in (blanch). They actually got Navan to close down and a few days after they left we were told they were no longer gettin in milk from the north.

Dunnes Stores is private property which the public are invited onto. Dunnes can eject anyone who they dont want on the property. "The management reserve the right of admission." If they refuse to leave the Gardai can be called and those farmers can be arrested for public order offences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

That'd be the day when a farmer gets arrested in a supermarket doing un-supermarketly things :D
    Lets hope the milk cartels will be broken just like what is happening right now to the petrol cartel when tesco slashed their petrol in their Finglas branch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond

Dunnes Stores is private property which the public are invited onto. Dunnes can eject anyone who they dont want on the property. "The management reserve the right of admission." If they refuse to leave the Gardai can be called and those farmers can be arrested for public order offences.

On the day i asked a member of security about it, he said it wasnt worth the hassell the Gardai were down but thetre wasnt really any trouble. With so many people whats to stop them walkin back in an hour later, they cant remember what they all look like. If they did try to eject them all how would that look to customers, there would be full scale riots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I thought that the whole idea of the EU is to open borders and trade to all of Europe?!?
    You see Italian and German products here and they are far superior as well as cheaper (well until places like Dunnes mark them up).
    Isn't the dairy industry here also subsidized?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Far superior?

I was under the impression that the far-east swet shops the likes of Dunnes Stores use to produce goods are of exactly the same slave-labour standard, that Nike, Adidas and (random european company(x)) are prone to use.

hmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Typedef
    Far superior?

I was under the impression that the far-east swet shops the likes of Dunnes Stores use to produce goods are of exactly the same slave-labour standard, that Nike, Adidas and (random european company(x)) are prone to use.
    I think you'll find that the Italian and German stuff sovtek referred to was in the Food and Drink category. (You know, they kind of stuff that farmers would be concerned about?)

If you like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No the Italians use Albania or other Balkan countries for their cheap labour rather than the far east. Local and similar langauges etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by Ripwave
    I think you'll find that the Italian and German stuff sovtek referred to was in the Food and Drink category. (You know, they kind of stuff that farmers would be concerned about?)
    Yup that's what I meant.
    Everyone exploits the sweatshops for the clothing industry now ('cept in Germany and Italy they would be cheaper :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    No the Italians use Albania or other Balkan countries for their cheap labour rather than the far east. Local and similar langauges etc.
    Who do you think picks Irish mushrooms?

But there aren't too many Latvians milking Irish cows, working in Irish bakeries and dairies, etc.

Yes, some of my 'favourite' theories, concerning 'distortion' in the labour market come from our friends over in Stormfront (they have the neck to use a .org).

www.stormfront.org - White pride, world wide etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Why the link to those sad morons? I don't think its necessary.

Originally posted by Nolimits
    I work in dunnes and i can tell you why the price of milk went up. They started getting milk in from Northern Ireland cheaper, the irish farmers wouldnt stand for that and started their own protests. Basically what they would do is they about 200 of them (maybe less its hard to tell) would all go into a specific Dunnes and they would block up all the isles, they would stand their with trolleys with one or two items in them and talk in the isles in groups of three or four. Then they moved up to the checkouts and blocked them up instead. It was actually pretty funny and even most of the managers took it in good humour except the store manager.

Thanks for that info... now the next time I see unbelievably slow people in front of me when I'm doing the shopping I'll know they are protesting farmers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Wow. Way to bump an old thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Wow, not even a cobweb in sight!:D

we're better, because we're irish
    You don't dare say that north of the border. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

dunnesfan1 wrote: »

we're better, because we're irish :D

quote]

In Rugby maybe?

Can you elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

damm your milk!!

HOW DARE YOU

i have worked in dunnes for over twenty years! the price of milk is fine!

i am a loyal worker, in the drapery if you please, and i am not impressed with this ghastly forum!

people of ireland!

STAND UP FOR DUNNES

also, loving the new price drop signs! anyone agree?

Zombie Thread revival aside, Dunnes sucks a$$.
    Thye're Irish? So what? All their products aren't and they haven't the cheapest prices either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Em if your dunnes number 1 fan is it not...The difference is, we are Irish.??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

I wonder what slogan they will use when Asda take over :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Whats with all the old threads being bumped,this is the 2nd one ive seen today...

• Advertisement

I would love to know where in Ireland you are getting your Irish bananas from? :D

Advertisement