Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin O'Neill OBE

• 31-12-2003 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

Can't wait for the reaction from certain sections of the Celtic support:rolleyes:

already heard two guys discussing it on the bus earlier "O'Neill is a traitor/British bastard" etc

Probably the same people who called St Patrick's Athletic supporters "Orange bastards" because they weren't shouting for Celtic - Tolka Park 1998. These guys were Irish by the way - the Scottish Celtic fans were fine.

oblivious to the fact that St Pats had 10 Irishmen in their line up that night (and are an Irish team) and Celtic as far as I remember had none (and are a British team).

From the BBC

On the sporting list, Glasgow Celtic manager Martin O'Neill is to receive an OBE for services to football.

The 51-year-old Kilrea-born former Northern Ireland international enjoyed a glittering playing career, winning First Division and European Cups titles with Nottingham Forest and playing in the 1982 World Cup finals.

He has since developed a successful career in management, leading Wycombe Wanderers and Leicester to promotion as well as winning the Scottish league with Celtic and taking them to the UEFA Cup final in 2003.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth

already heard two guys discussing it on the bus earlier "O'Neill is a traitor/British bastard" etc

They obviously were unaware of his citizenship then, eh? Ar*eholes.

I'm delighted for him to be honest. He's an excellent ambassador for his sport for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by therecklessone

I'm delighted for him to be honest. He's an excellent ambassador for his sport for a start.

Fair play but it can't have been for his contribution to punditry! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I agree! He deserves totally deserves it! He's the Second best manager in all of Britain!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

His comment about accepting it on behalf of all the people involved at Celtic over the last couple of years suggests a diplomatic way of distancing himself from the whole occasion though, doesn't it? Think he might have preferred an equivalent honour from a footballing body? Kind of an awkward position to find himself in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Originally posted by Steve_o
    I agree! He deserves totally deserves it! He's the Second best manager in all of Britain!

I agree with Steve_o,he definatly deserves it,he is a great manager and is binging Celtic places

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Off the football topic for a moment. I know you have to be Brithish to get one of these awards but didn't Niall Quinn and Tony McCoy get one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Off the football topic for a moment. I know you have to be Brithish to get one of these awards but didn't Niall Quinn and Tony McCoy get one?

Thats true, they got honorary awards like Bob Geldof, who is a KBE rather than a "Sir"...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

If O Neill wants to accept an OBE thats his choice and he wont be the first person involved in Celtic fc to get one btw, .
    If people think hes a traitor surely thats their right in a democracy or am I missing something?

Personally I would have no objections to someone accepting an award on the grounds that it was from an English/British source I do however have objections to accepting an award from the Brittish monarcy which represent everything I despise.

Originally posted by AmenToThat
    If O Neill wants to accept an OBE thats his choice and he wont be the first person involved in Celtic fc to get one btw, .
    If people think hes a traitor surely thats their right in a democracy or am I missing something?

:rolleyes:

Exactly what treachary is he guilty of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Its a bit of Metal he's getting, he doesn't have to swear undying allegiance to the crown or anything and even if he did its his choice. Grow up FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth

Probably the same people who called St Patrick's Athletic supporters "Orange bastards" because they weren't shouting for Celtic - Tolka Park 1998. These guys were Irish by the way - the Scottish Celtic fans were fine.

there really is some right gobshìtes over here....

so what he took an OBE, good on him... i dont support the queen and think personally that the royals should be abolished, but no doubt the people who say these things over here probably support liverpool/man utd/enter premiership team here who are english teams...

hypocrits would probably be the appropriate term i think, besides since when was racial abuse/secterianism in the republic unheard of......

Mate from derry came down a few weekends ago with his company car with belfast plates, parking outside the house a few drunken baboons come out the pub and walk down and see and proceed to call us orange bastàrds and how we are from "prod ville"..

My mate goes to mass every sunday and is the only person i know with as much faith as that and yet some àrseholes feel the need to give unwanted abuse for something they probably know fùck all about.

same with racial abuse ive seen over here, so many ignorant fùckwits its unreal (im not saying everyone here but there is more here than ive ever seen in any other country ive been in..)

Anyway, soccer forum isnt the place for this rant i suppose apologies..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Delighted for him.
    Fair Play. As someone said its not like he's swearing alligance to the crown or anything. Nice of him to mention the Backroom staff too.

Originally posted by Big Chief

so what he took an OBE, good on him... i dont support the queen and think personally that the royals should be abolished, but no doubt the people who say these things over here probably support liverpool/man utd/enter premiership team here who are english teams...

Lets not forget their "support" for Scottish (part of Great Britain for all those knuckle draggers out there) team Celtic.

:rolleyes:

Exactly what treachary is he guilty of?

If you take the time to read my post carefully, apart from the spelling mistakes youl see I never accused him of anything!

As Iv stated early in the thread I have no objections to him accepting the medal on the grounds its being given by the English/British aristocracy I do however have objections on the grounds that its from an aristocracy period!

BTW the queen gave her Christmas speech infront of Challenger tanks this year to show support for the troops in engaged in their illegal occupation of Iraq.
    Hardly the act of a neutral establishment and as such she/the monarchy are open to criticism in my opinion.

Its also worth noting that while the majority of British people are still in favour of the monarchy there is a growing minority of republicans within Britain who see the monarcy and indeed the honours list as nothing more than a relic from imperial times where the wealth of much of the world was raped from its peoples so that the Windsors can have their oversized holiday homes and get transported around the world in ocean liners!

Now Im sure there are some Celtic fans who will see the acceptance of this honour by O Neill as an act of trechery but alot of people will see it purely in terms of being wrong from a political, and in my case political left standpoint!

To ingnore this fact so a cheap point can be scored against Celtic fans because two guys stated their opinion openly on a bus tells me as much about the narrow minded right wing thinking on this forum as it does about the guys in question.

same with racial abuse ive seen over here, so many ignorant fùckwits its unreal (im not saying everyone here but there is more here than ive ever seen in any other country ive been in..)

Agreed racism is a massive massive problem in Ireland and if anything is worse among the older generations whom almost to a man seem to be against people of ethnic minorities comming to Ireland!

That said, having been to thw West of Scotland on several occasions in terms of secterian/racism I dont think we compare!

I lived in London in the late 80s when the IRA were active but the hostility is nothing to that in the west of Scotland in relation to Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

You mustn't have been in Glasgow recently Big Chief, there may be a lot of Racial abuse, but it's not the worst. Northern Ireland is a lot worse too try the Garvaty road for abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by irish1
    You mustn't have been in Glasgow recently Big Chief, there may be a lot of Racial abuse, but it's not the worst. Northern Ireland is a lot worse too try the Garvaty road for abuse.

I was including N.Ireland into this apologies i shouldnt have said republin as i ment up there aswell, been up to belfast a good few times and it isnt much better than down here.

I'm from glasgow, was born and bred there and i dont think its anywhere near as bad as over here ?

[edit - apologies shouldnt have brought most of this up, was just in a foul mood this morning and shouldnt have went on a rant when the whole point was over martin o'neill]

I was including N.Ireland into this apologies i shouldnt have said republin as i ment up there aswell, been up to belfast a good few times and it isnt much better than down here.

I'm from glasgow, was born and bred there and i dont think its anywhere near as bad as over here ?

[

Ah you never said N. Ireland, it sure is bad up there, I don't think the majority of the Republic is that bad, except maybe border areas like Dundalk and Carrickmacross etc

[edit - apologies shouldnt have brought most of this up, was just in a foul mood this morning and shouldnt have went on a rant when the whole point was over martin o'neill]

No worries mate!

Might be worth your while doing a bit of reading on the subject of Scottish peoples and indeed the Scottish establishments views and attitudes to Irish people who have immagrated to Scotland, might open your eyes to a few things!
    Also and you can correct me if Im wrong but doesnt the Orange order have in the region of 60,000 members in Scotland?, an organisation not noted for its liberal thinking or fondness to things Irish by all accounts................

Is this still the soccer forum or has it been merged with politics on the QT?

• Advertisement

If you take the time to read my post carefully, apart from the spelling mistakes youl see I never accused him of anything!

As Iv stated early in the thread I have no objections to him accepting the medal on the grounds its being given by the English/British aristocracy I do however have objections on the grounds that its from an aristocracy period!

You didn't accuse him of anything, but you have a problem with him accepting it. Not much difference is there?

And leave the politics out of this. If you want to discuss the political aspects of the honous system, try the politics board, or humanities at least. There you can rail against the right wing agenda of boards.ie to your hearts content.

I'll repeat my original question. What treachary is he guilty of? Are Celtic a football club, or a political cause?

Are Celtic a football club, or a political cause?

Whatever you wish them to be, and everyone is entitled to their opinion even if it doesn't sit well with you.

I personally don't see why the **** the Queen offers awards to some of the people she does, I mean is she trying to stir **** or what???

Originally posted by irish1

I personally don't see why the **** the Queen offers awards to some of the people she does, I mean is she trying to stir **** or what???

She doesn't choose who gets the awards, the government of the day do.

She doesn't choose who gets the awards, the government of the day do.

That makes even less sense, ah well that British politics for ya.

I dont see why you're so surprised about this one after all Martin O Neill is one of her subjects.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I dont see why you're so surprised about this one after all Martin O Neill is one of her subjects.

Well I'm sure who ever picks them is well aware of who he manages and their traditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

well done martin ... i think he already has a mbe as well he got some thin in 1982 ne way !!
    well done martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well I'm sure who ever picks them is well aware of who he manages and their traditions.

I'd imagine they wouldn't give a **** about stupid old traditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

And leave the politics out of this.

/B]

Shouldnt there be a please in that statement somewhere?

On a thread such as this surely by its very nature polotics is at the heart of the topic?

Until the moderater of this board says otherwise I will continue to reference polotics on this particular thread where necassary and untill you can discuss this topic without making demands Im afraid I cant be bothered answering your question!

and untill you can discuss this topic without making demands Im afraid I cant be bothered answering your question!

Thats fine, I haven't exactly been wetting myself waiting for your reply. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Fair play to Martin O'Neill and all he has done for Celtic Football Club.
    For those who disagree just think of the OBE Standing for the League been
    OVER BEFORE EASTER !!! :)

Advertisement