Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with CHAP authentication

• 31-12-2003 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I'm having problems getting the netopia modem I got from Eircom authenticated via CHAP. I am using the user name and password which Eircom gave me but it fails every time. The computer itself succeeded in getting it's Ip address from the netopia gateway and the configuration pages show up fine but the only time that dsl comes up is when I set it to act as a bridge, but still no access to outside web. Anybody have any ideas on how to sort the PPoE out or how to correctly configure DHCP, DNS etc so that it works successfully as a bridge?

It's connected by Ethernet to Mdk 9.1 Computer.

Would appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I'm not familiar with Mandrake or the Netopia, but I am using a DSL/ethernet bridge myself with Smoothwall. Assuming Mandrake includes a PPPoE client, at the very least, you will need to configure it with your username and password. You may also need to specify DNS server details, or else DNS auto configuration.

If you have only one PC, DHCP will not be required. If you need DHCP from the Netopia, I'd imagine you won't be able to use bridge mode - that's the way my setup works, anyway.

Hopefully, someone with more direct experience of your setup will add to this.

Advertisement