Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2004, and people are smoking in my local ?

• 01-01-2004 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Yeah, its January 1st, 2004.

People are smoking like mad in my local, and the best of luck to them. Whatever happened to the strict enforcement of the 'Smoking Ban' ?... MoaaaawHaaaHaaaHaa..:)

P.:ninja: :dunno:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Eh? Delayed until february or something, I thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Yeah, it hasn't been implemented yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

April 1st. :\/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

"Delayed" "Hasn't been implemented yet" ,Eh!, Are those the Minister of Healths new way of admitting defeat already ?..

Bit of a climb down. Huh!.:dunno:

P.;) :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Paddy!>!>"20?!_ You?"" are(!) such.... an idiot!?!?!.... - ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'm smoking right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Someone's not the sharpest tool in the box....

DMT,

Yes, Micheal Martin & Bertie Ahern. Oh, the irony!. I think the E.U. is magic.

Hmmm, why do I not feel sorry for all those anti - smoking fanatics who swore blind that the new smoking ban would be introduced on 1st January 2004.

Yes, true democracy, has some real benefits for the little man.

P.:) :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well way back in Summer they said it wasn't going to be implemented until April!

Just because you believe something will happen doesn't mean that it actually will.
    At no point was the ban supposed to come in on January 1st. Where did you get this delusion? Earliest I heard for it was January 26th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Yeah Jan 26th was the earliest and good enough too. Sick of ignorant people blowing smoke into my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm kinda unhappy that it isn't being brought in earlier.

I smoke, and over the last 4-6months have been smoking pretty regularly.
    I am cutting back heavily, and it would be nice to be able to go for a pint (the main time/place I chain smoke) without being able to light one up, or have to be in a smokey atmosphere.

We'll see how things go :)

Will be funny to see crowds piling out of pubs every 20minutes lighting up.
    You'll see a hell of a lot more beer gardens and marquis being setup.

DMT,

There are only about 1000 News Stories links about the introduction of a ban on smoking in the workplace in Ireland from "1st January 2004 " online if you would bother to do a Google search!.

Then again one of the years top ten threads on the Smoking Ban was, and I suppose still is on the boards.ie 'Politics' forum, if you care to have a look at that.

You, like so many others, have a very short memory for the truth, when it suits you.

Or, click on this link: http://www.irishheart.ie/news/smokingban.htm
    for the unprejudiced truth.

P.;) :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Paddy20
    "Delayed" "Hasn't been implemented yet" ,Eh!, Are those the Minister of Healths new way of admitting defeat already ?..

Bit of a climb down. Huh!.:dunno:
    See this is what you get when you don't read newspapers. It's been delayed and there are quite a few stories in the better newspapers (ie the ones without boobies) telling us why. Everyone else knew about this about two or three months ago. There were even posts about it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

From what ive read its delayed till feb/march, with specifics like the Gardai`s role in the implementation of the ban.

Another 3 months with headaches and watery eyes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Paddy20 - Get Real! What's your point? You just government bashing? It was all over the news that the ban was to postponed until all the legal aspects were covered and that they couldn't be legally challanged in any way as a result of its implementation.

See this story from the 22 October:
    http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2003/10/22/story118349.asp

and this one from 26 November:
    http://breaking.tcm.ie/2003/11/26/story123089.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Crimson

well i dont realy care about the smokeing ban... but i have more consern for the gum ban that they want to put into Ireland :O :P

krinpit,

The truth is, I am worried about how long we have before we need a license to fart, and will it be banned in public places & places of work, as it really is a stinker!, not mine of course.

How long before the fanatical anti- farting campaigners start up ?..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Farting - doesn't harm the people around you.
    Smoking - harms the people around you WITHOUT THEM HAVING A CHOICE.

That's why there's a smoking ban in effect and why all that crap spouted by smokers - "What will they ban next! Air!" - is precisely that: crap. Some still don't seem to get it yet though....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

smoking is a part of irish pub life.

my plan is to have a realy long tube and have my smoke outside, with a second tude to breath out the smoke,

it's foolproof

• Advertisement

DMT,
    There are only about 1000 News Stories links about the introduction of a ban on smoking in the workplace in Ireland from "1st January 2004 " online if you would bother to do a Google search!.
    And all of them date back to almost a year ago. It been said repeatedly over last few months that it wouldn't be introduced on January 1st, so your question "Whatever happened to the strict enforcement of the 'Smoking Ban' ?" just makes you look like an ignorant gobshite who have been listening to the news for the past eight months. If you don't want to sound like an idiot, try to stay topical...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

good discussion on this topic over on metafilter,
    Americans involved too so theres some opinions from places withthe ban already in place.
    I especially liked this rant
    It's only the first day of the new year and I've already exhausted my quota of patience for dealing with anal-retentive anti-smoking nazis. It's a trendy issue and there is no point in trying to work out a reasonable compromise because they want neither "compromise" nor do they want to be "reasonable". First, smoking is banned from most public buildings, and smokers abide by this in the name of civility and getting along in society. Then the AR's immediately bitch about smokers congregated outside (Duh!!!).
    These people personify Menken's definition of Puritanism by their irrational fear they someone somewhere is having fun. I don't trust the government to install parking meters rightside-up -- I don't want them playing political games with the local economy and I certainly don't want them to be my nanny. Free market forces can (and should) handle this imagined problem quite handily. Support and patronize existing non-smoking bars. Show the smoking bars that there's a sizeable market, if indeed there is. Most of all, stop wrapping your AR jihad in the mantel of caring about the employees. That's simple BS you're resorting to in lieu of substantive arguments. It's a cheap rhetorical tactic to make shrill fun-suckers sound noble and caring. But we all know, if employees were taken out of the equation, these self-deluded zealots would merely glom onto another specious rationalization to justify their obsession to thrust their nose into other people's life styles.
    posted by RavinDave at 8:57 AM PST on January 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

who the **** would leave a pub within 1/2 an hour of New Years, arrive home, turn on a PC and post on boards about a smoking ban which everyone knew was put back

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    who the **** would leave a pub within 1/2 an hour of New Years, arrive home, turn on a PC and post on boards about a smoking ban which everyone knew was put back
    Only a complete idiot.

[EDIT] Just noticed you're making a reference to paddy20, heheh [/EDIT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Unless he was sitting in the pub with a laptop. Which may be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

I just hope the government handles the implementation of the smoking ban the same way €ircom handled the rollout of DSL. ;)

I'm a non-smoker, and I don't feel too strongly about the issue, but I do think it is a positive move - for a number of reasons

1. Lots of people give up fags many times, but find that when they are in a pub, with a drink, they don't feel right until they light up. Perhaps the ban will me more conducive to their efforts in moving away from that scenario.

2. I often go into a pub to watch a match with just 1 or 2 pints, and I swear, the smell of my, otherwise, clean clothes afterwards is pretty wretched.

3. It's an interesting social experiment (as a semi-neutral at least). I can't wait until the ban comes into affect, because I think it's gonna be one big game, having a cigarette in a pub and avoiding the smoking police. It'll be like getting away with underage drinking all over again.

Of course, there's many negative points as well, most of which have already been bandied about, but I don't agree that it will affect businesses adversely. I would think that you will find a slight shift in the type of people who visit a pub, but I don't think that the numbers out on a Saturday night will decline. (after much scientific study by myself of course ;) )

Does this make me an "anti-smoking Nazi"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Crimson

Originally posted by ixoy
    Farting - doesn't harm the people around you.

if every one in the world farted at the same time the world as we know it would blow up :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Originally posted by Crimson
    if every one in the world farted at the same time the world as we know it would blow up :p
    that would be so cool,..... devastating but cool none the less

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

comment withdrawn. didnt read everything properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Did you honestly expect people to put out their cigs on the dot of 12:01 paddy20? not to mention the not paying attention to news thing, christ youre getting more senile by the day

This just gets better and better, and I am loving every Anti- Paddy20 post. The Craic is mighty, sheer magic.

As for smoking, well as an ex-smoker!. I stopped in November 1999. I really enjoy standing up for smokers rights. If its legal to buy them, then logically it should be legal to smoke them. Particularly, in a Pub that sells them ?..

Like it or lump it. Thats my opinion and I am sticking to it.

P.:D :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Okay, fair enough, but that isn't what this thread is about.

People are smoking like mad in my local, and the best of luck to them. Whatever happened to the strict enforcement of the 'Smoking Ban' ?... MoaaaawHaaaHaaaHaa.. :)

You're such a retard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭bugler

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Paddy20 your such a clown! You braindead clown!

ZING!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

If its legal to buy them, then logically it should be legal to smoke them. Particularly, in a Pub that sells them ?..

Like it or lump it. Thats my opinion and I am sticking to it.

You're perfectly right... :rolleyes:

And by that logic, I'm going to go into town tomorrow, buy a big bottle of gin, and sit in the middle of the shop drinking it.
    Might get a few beers aswell for the trip home.

Sure, if its legal to buy drink, then logically it should be legal for me to drink it.
    Particularly in a shop that sells it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Exactly Angelwhore.

The whole point of the ban is so non-smokers can breathe basically. I have no problem with people who smoke, thats their choice and fair enough if they choose to. But why should I have to breathe in that ****e too? and have a smell of my clothes etc?!

Its bad enough when you're out for a pint but sitting in a restaurant trying to have a meal and being bombarded with smoke is sickening

AngelWhore,

Absolutely.

P.:D :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    You're perfectly right... :rolleyes:

And by that logic, I'm going to go into town tomorrow, buy a big bottle of gin, and sit in the middle of the shop drinking it.
    Might get a few beers aswell for the trip home.

Sure, if its legal to buy drink, then logically it should be legal for me to drink it.
    Particularly in a shop that sells it.

By your logic i could say that its legal to buy a gun in a gunshop and shoot everyone in it....

Originally posted by Faust
    By your logic i could say that its legal to buy a gun in a gunshop and shoot everyone in it....

from http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=irony

i·ro·ny ( P )
    n. pl. i·ro·nies

a. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
    b. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
    c. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

People are smoking like mad in my local, and the best of luck to them. Whatever happened to the strict enforcement of the 'Smoking Ban' ?... MoaaaawHaaaHaaaHaa..:)

oh yes i love it the poisonous smoke fills my lungs, such an envigorating experience. i love this lung cancer my doc gives me chemotherapy and my hair falls out how arrousing:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

Originally posted by krinpit
    from http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=irony

i·ro·ny ( P )
    n. pl. i·ro·nies

a. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
    b. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
    c. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect.

joke ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jk)
    n.
    Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
    A mischievous trick; a prank.
    An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
    Informal.
    Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.
    An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock: His loud tie was the joke of the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

For this thread in general, but mostly for Paddy 20:

assclown.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

best thread ive read in a long time.

AngelWhore,

Luverly jubberly. I LOVE that card. Did I tell you that I am a fully addicted masochist.:D More..more, please.

P.:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭L4

I don't care if someone corrected you on this one, but are you serious!??
    When did the Government ever say they are going to ban smoking in Pubs on Jan 1st? If that were the case barstaff would leave their posts @00.01 01st of Jan inthe pubs and go around asking people to extinguish their ciggerettes. Think before you type the next time please..:rolleyes:

And by the way brains, I smoke, most of my friends smoke and some of my co-workers too, and none of them think this ban is a bad idea. You obviously haven't been going to pubs for long have you!? It may be awkward for those to go outside and have a smoke, but it's their own choice. I for one would feel alot better the next morning when I don't have to clear my troath every 2 minutes. And maybe it'll help people quit, many times I have quit only to be tempted the most when I'm in a smokey pub and everyone else is smoking. Think man, think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by L4
    You obviously haven't been going to pubs for long have you!?
    Actually I think Paddy has been going to pubs longer than all of us put together.

Originally posted by Gordon
    Actually I think Paddy has been going to pubs longer than all of us put together.

Maybe that's the problem, too much lager has destroyed his brain.

L4,

Click on this link: http://www.irishheart.ie/news/smokingban.htm
    then have another fag, and the same applies to you 'DMT' for accusing me of being delusional about the date, . :D

L4,

Click on this link: http://www.irishheart.ie/news/smokingban.htm
    then have another fag, and the same applies to you 'DMT' for accusing me of being delusional about the date, . :D

Oh my God! Thanks man, Jees, I'll never touch a smoke again! :rolleyes:
    Up until now I though smoking was good for my health, and that it
    helped me breath easier... madness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement