Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking 2.5ghz P4 533mhz to 2.8ghz with normal fan? Safe?

• 01-01-2004 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Have MSI 648 Max motherboard. Fuzzy Logic is some software which comes with it which overclocks your pc. I have the normal cpu fan which came with the p4 2.5ghz and i have the fan which is on the side of my chieftec dragon full tower case. Not into overclocking but saw this auto feature on the fuzzy logic which safely* overclocks the processor and it can do it up to 2.8ghz. Is this safe?

Cheers people...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Its perfectly safe as long as the temps are OK, and its stable..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

whats an acceptable temp? Cheers man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

I would say if its going to 60C then thats the limit...

Try keeping it @ 45 --> 55C should stay stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Maybe mine is an odd one.
    I have a 2.8ghz P4 800mhz chip which i overclocked by 20% to 3.36 ghz so far.

Using Kinston DDR 3200 Ram clocked at 400mhz, it had no affect on temps nor voltage yet, still at around 26C idle, 37C load and voltage max at 1.68v.(no change from being at 2.8ghz)

According to x-bits a P4 2.4ghz chip can be overclocked to 3.3ghz without any real massive tweaking occurring.

How far can a chip be overclocked, assume just to watch rising temp and voltages with good RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

If it works and the magic smoke isn't getting out then use it!

Hell I had a P4 1.6A which ran happliy all day at 2.5Ghz with the stock cooler... brilliant value for money! I think the stock P4 coolers are pretty decent... they're nice and quiet too... wish the same could be said for the Athlons...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the 800mhz pentium chips are very good overclockers, i don't know much about temperatures for pentium systems but i try to my overclocked amd under 50c

how do you know if the overclock is stable? download a program called prime95 run it for over 8 hours or so and make sure you don't get any errors, also run a few games on it.

check out the forums on www.overclockers.co.uk for a overclocking guide by users called tesla and nf7 sorry i couldn't pull it up straight away.

data

Advertisement