Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Connection Speed Query

Options
  • 01-01-2004 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

Happy New Year

My modem used to connect to the net at speeds of between 48 and 52kbps
    but the last few days its just been 14.4kbps each time

no adjustments to the connection have been made aside from delete two internet connections I no longer use - for indigo and my old esatbt pay as you go

any ideas?

btw - the 14.4.kbps connection is not as slow as I would have thought - runs more like a 30kbps

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

had the same problem i was getting 24 000bps over the christmas but now getting 46,000bps id say it was heavy useage over the christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth
    btw - the 14.4.kbps connection is not as slow as I would have thought - runs more like a 30kbps

That's cause it's just the connection speed not actual line speed; that would still be 56Kb modem speeds around 4KB-5KB downloads - sometimes line condition affects speeds like rainy and damp weather get into cracks and interfer with cabling etc... Dont worry about conection speed you can still get proper 56Kb modem speeds at connection speeds of 14,400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    That's cause it's just the connection speed not actual line speed; that would still be 56Kb modem speeds around 4KB-5KB downloads - sometimes line condition affects speeds like rainy and damp weather get into cracks and interfer with cabling etc... Dont worry about conection speed you can still get proper 56Kb modem speeds at connection speeds of 14,400.

14,400 is a nightmare

downloads fly in at 1.5kb/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

i agree with Mossy Monk

• Advertisement
Advertisement