Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB and ActiveX internet explorer component

Options
  • 01-01-2004 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I working on a project in Vb. The application must interface with the serial port, grab a unique number from a serial device. I'm using VB's MSComm for this.

The number grabbed from the serial hardware is used for a key for a database. (the database is an SQL database with a web-page based front end)

Now I am also using the VB activeX Internet exploroer component. Is the any way of passing the number to a text field in the web-page automatically, so the system will automatically check the database for the number in question?

I dont want the user to have to read the number from the vb app and then have to type it into the text field on the IE web-page manually, if ya get what I mean....

hope you guyz can help,
    thanks,
    king

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I assume that your assignment requires that the user must interact with this data via a Web Interface. If so you might send the value of the number as a querystring parameter when you execute the Navigate method to the Web form and pre-filling the relevant text box.

If not I would just POST the data directly emulating what the Web form does. You can do this again with the Navigate method (AFAIR, it’s an optional parameter) of the Internet control; otherwise it can easily be done with the MS XMLDOM or, for true geek value, using the Winsock control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

If so you might send the value of the number as a querystring parameter when you execute the Navigate method to the Web form and pre-filling the relevant text box.

Sounds like the solution man, but could you explain it in more detail, Im new to VB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by king_of_inismac
    Sounds like the solution man, but could you explain it in more detail, Im new to VB.
    Send the number out as a parameter to the web form:
    WebBrowser1.Navigate ("http://www.foobar.com/webform.asp?number=" & sNumber)

Then grab this parameter (for the sake of argument I assume that you're using ASP on the Web site) and prefil the number in a manner such as this:
    <INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="number" VALUE="<%=Request.QueryString("number")%>">

Of course, this assumes that you have development access to the Web site in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Thanks man,

really appreciate the help!!,

Best of luck,
    King

Advertisement