Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB Problems

• 01-01-2004 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Got IOLBB yesterday and it initially worked but I cna't get online anymore.

I'm using the USB connection with the modem IOL provided. After reinstalling everything I wasn't able to log into the modem or ping 192.168.1.1 -What ever IP it selected didn't let me log into the modem. I tried ipconfig/renew in command prompt (like it says in the manual) but that didn't work.

So in my network connections folder I selected the network and changed it from automatically obtaining a IP to selecting one manually.
    I put in:
    192.168.1.2 - As the IP
    255.255.255.0 - As the subnet mask
    192.168.1.1 - As the default gateway

After doing this I was able to log into the modem, I ran the wizard again and PASSed all the tests.
    Then I tried to connected to the internet via IE but no luck!Tried using Mozilla also and just checked if any chat programs such as icq would work but nothing (btw back on 56k right now).

On the modem itself PWR, SYS, USB, DSL lights are all green and ACT is amber.

BTW - my password is correct I can log onto the IOL usage meter. I think the problem is something to do with my LAN settings (do I need to change the modem settings here because I manually selected an IP?)

Any1 have any suggestions? thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

What message do you get when you try to connect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

For the IOL network connection make sure u set it to obtain the IP automatic,

For your username lets say "JOHN" it should say "JOHN@iolbb" with out the "".

Hope this helps joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by NóMur
    Got IOLBB yesterday and it initially worked but I cna't get online anymore.

I'm using the USB connection with the modem IOL provided. After reinstalling everything I wasn't able to log into the modem or ping 192.168.1.1
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, 192.168.* has nothing to do with a default IOLBB configuration. The IP address should be assigned by the IOL server at login, and if you manually set it to anything, it'll never work.

(I've never used IOLBB, but I'm quite sure that it doesn't do NAT, especially with a USB modem).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NóMur

The username I'm using was the one that worked before it still has @iolbb.
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, 192.168.* has nothing to do with a default IOLBB configuration. The IP address should be assigned by the IOL server at login, and if you manually set it to anything, it'll never work.

I know IOL assign my WAN IP the IP I was referring to is the LAN IP. 192.168.1.1 is the modem/router IP. In the manual it says that you can configure this IP anywhere between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254 and the default gateway I mentioned earlier.
    For the IOL network connection make sure u set it to obtain the IP automatic

I have this done for the WAN IP when I log into the modem/router. The only reason I manually selected an IP was because I wasn't able to log into the modem/router when I had it set to automatically obtain and IP so I canged it to an IP in the range 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254.
    What message do you get when you try to connect?
    When it was working all I did was complete the modem/router test and then open up IE and it connected straight away to a website. Now when I complete these tests I don't get any error message just the usual IE DNS lookup error

I have this done for the WAN IP when I log into the modem/router.
    IOLBB doesn't provide a "modem/router". It's just a modem - the only IP address is the "WAN" address. There is no "LAN" address.

• Advertisement

When it was working all I did was complete the modem/router test and then open up IE and it connected straight away to a website. Now when I complete these tests I don't get any error message just the usual IE DNS lookup error

Launch the connection manually to check what message you get.

Here is the way my network is configured that should help you.

Main pc (windows 2000 pro sp4) connected to Iol zyxel USB modem

ICS enabled

in the network panel
    - IOL broadband dialer default settings
    - Zyxel p630 modem ip: 192.168.10.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (but you can leave the default settings aswell not an issue)
    - Cnet wireless lan (the network card) ip: 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

and that's enough to get it to work on the machine it is connected to.

for the client machine (windows 2000 pro sp4)

- Cnet wireless lan (the network card) ip: 192.168.0.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 degault gateway 192.168.0.1 and I also entered entered IOL DNS but I believe that is not entirely necessary.

Originally posted by Fabre
    ICS enabled
    Unless he hasn't bothered to tell us something, NóMur isn't getting anywhere near having ICS problems - he can't get the machine that the modem is connected to to talk to the 'net in the first place.

Your "gateway" PC doesn't use a 192.168.* address to talk to the internet.

I put in:
    192.168.1.2 - As the IP

thats why I showed him my settings I don't understand why he is talking about some default gateway settings if it is not a client machine.

Sorry for seeming remedal here.

Firstly the modem they sent me is the "Zyxel 623R-T1 ADSL Modem/Router"

What I've done so far is follow the instruction book word for word. After installing the drivers for the modem the next step is to log into the modem. You can use the web configurator to do this. This is where I encountered the 1st problem. When I try and log into modem using its IP of 192.168.1.1 I get a DNS error. I went to the troubleshooting section where it then says
    Check the TCP/IP configuration on your computer.Make sure the IP address and the subnet mask of the Prestige and the computer are in the same range

Then I opened up my network connections I have.

Local Area Connection 6
    Enabled
    Zyxel USB LAN Modem #2

IP Address :169.254.155.115
    Subnet Mask :255.255.0.0
    Automatic Private Address.

In the properties under TCP/IP I have it set to automatically obtain an IP.

However 169.254.155.115 isn't in the range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 so this when I decided to change the settings here. As I mentioned earlier I entered:
    192.168.1.2 - As the IP

When I do this and then open IE I'm able to log into the web configurator. I then follow the wizard and input my IOL password etc.. The last stage in the wizard is when it tests the connection.
    My LAN connection PASSes as do the 4 WAN connections.

After passing these tests I presumed I'd be able to connect to the internet. This is where I need your help. I thought because I selected the IP myself that I might have to change some other settings within the router itself perhaps DHCP or LAN settings but I honestly don't have a clue.

Thanks again

Firstly the modem they sent me is the "Zyxel 623R-T1 ADSL Modem/Router"
    Ah. That's new. They've been supplying the Zyxel 630 up to know, as far as I know, which doesn't do any NAT stuff at all. (And only has a USB connector - according the the Zyxel site, the 623 has ethernet and USB ports!)

Did you tell them you are you a Mac user, or did they just send you this without any prompting on your part?

With regard to you problem, if you can get to the web interface on the router, then you don't need to mess with the TCP/IP settings on your PC - leave them at "get an address automatically".

In the Web interface on the Zyxel, there should be a page that will tell you your WAN IP address, and you connection status - what does it say?

• Advertisement

IP Address :169.254.155.115
    That means you machine didn't receive a valid DHCP response from the Zyxel modem (169.254.* indicates a "local link" address, assigned at random by the PC itself when it isn't told otherwise) - if you're able to access the modem with manual addressing, you should verify that DHCP is enabled.

Thanks for your replies. I've been on to esat tech support.

As far as I can tell there's a problem with the modem/router that I got, the DHCP server doesn't seem to be working on it (Also my ethernet connection isn't working). I checked all the router settings and the DHCP server should work. I think the modem went faulty somehow when I was using it on day one.

However I have managed to get the connection working by going also inputting IOLs DNS server IP, along with what I mentioned previously my manually inputting the 198.168.1.* IP.

Tech support want me to get in touch again on Monday to report on my connection and any problems I might have. They're going to get onto eircom & Zyxel also.

So far so good, downloading at about 56K/s from an nvidia site.

Tech support want me to get in touch again on Monday to report on my connection and any problems I might have. They're going to get onto eircom & Zyxel also.
    Do you know if you were given this new model for a reason, (did you tell them you're a Mac user or a Linux user, and didn't want a USB modem?) or are they going to start providing everyone with this model?

I didn't make any special request or tell them what OS I was running. From what I can gather I was one of the first to get this modem they only started sending them out this week. I would have prefered to get my Ethernet connection working but at the moment I'm just happy to be online!

I didn't make any special request or tell them what OS I was running. From what I can gather I was one of the first to get this modem they only started sending them out this week. I would have prefered to get my Ethernet connection working but at the moment I'm just happy to be online!
    Great!

The Netopia Cayman is a much better "modem" that the USB Zyxel that IOL were giving out - if IOLBB are switching to a dual USB/ethernet model, then eircom don't have that advantage any more.

Anyone know what UTV are doing on this front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I received a ZyXEL prestige 623R-T1 from IOL today. The IOL manual that comes with it mentions configuring for XBOX live on the back. Wonder how long before they start offering the discounted XBOX?

Advertisement