Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[New Forum] Engineering

Options
  • 01-01-2004 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

Board Name: Engineering
    Description: Civil, electrical/electronic, mechanical and other engineering discussion.
    Private Y/N: N

As an final year electronic engineering student, I thought that it might be a good idea to have an engineering board to discuss all things engineering.

I propose that it goes under the Science hierarchy, if approved.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I aint sure it would get enough interest to justify its own board, but who knows!

thumbs up from me anyways because electronic engineering is what i wanna do in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I've no problem with it.

Alot of maths/Physics may already account for what you would envisage there, but I'm happy enough if the admins want to create it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

I'm also an Engineering student, and I know there are several other engineers or student engineers on Boards. I fully support the creation of such a forum. While I don't feel there is a great need for it, I do feel that if you build it they will come. Especially if the caliber of discussion is of a high enough standard. This forum could be invaluable for young students of engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Why not just make a student board so that people could discuss there courses and subjects, and help each other with projects and stuff. There'd be a much more livly atmosphere in there, and a lot more discussion and diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

• Advertisement

There allready is a student Forum, College work. Just saying it would be of benefit to college students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Maybe 'Construction/Engineering'?

-> architecture, general building, etc. and what DMT said.

Under the Sci/Tech board.

Would construction not come under engineering anyway, I know I do a fair amount of construction studies, environmental studies and architecture in my course

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

What Syke said. I'm tempted to think that a lot of the discussion that would end up here is already covered by the science forums, unless you wish to restrict to engineering methods and techniques specifically?

restrict to engineering methods and techniques specifically
    Please clarify what you mean by this. There are certain areas in Mathimatics and Physics that relate completely to Engineering and construction, true, but i doubt your going to have a forum full of people chatting about eigen vectors/values,guass elimination and curvilinear motion, Maybe you will, but personally I think it would be put to much wider use. All depends on the type of people who use it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Examples of topics that would come to my mind are methods for providing fault tolerance or improving reliability in a system, also analysis techniques such as failure mode effects analysis, fault trees, etc. But essentially any discussions of how engineers engineer, from project management to the economics of it to the actual job of building the finished product.

However, I was sort of hoping that the people who want to use the forum would actually clarify it and provide answers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

architecture RTL of Sci / Tech is
    signal me : std_elec_eng;
    signal Engineering, Programming, Security, Technology : std_logic;
    signal Electronics, Web : std_logic_vector(1 downto 0);
    signal Operating Systems : std_logic_vector (2 downto 0);
    signal Nets / Comms : std_logic_vector (3 downto 0);
    signal Science : std_logic_vector (4 downto 0);
    begin
    process (Engineering)
    begin
    if Engineering ='1' then me = "happy";
    else me = "bored";
    end if;
    end process;
    end RTL;

ecksor, all fine points and I would be happy of a place to discuss those. Personally When I think of the forum I think, circuit design,pspice, electronics, com systems, Bridge design using matlab/AutoCAD, increased efficiency of systems, Material studies, Integrating electronics and mechanics, and also all those things specific to engineering but which may also be covered by several other forums individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,405 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've been thinking of this for a while and it's very difficult to come up with a clear definition. As I see it the majority of Engineering is broken down into:

Civil
    Structural
    Building Services
    Mechanical
    Electrical
    Electronic

The top end is close to my two boards (Accommodation / Property, Commuting / Transport) while the latter is the true nerd land of Sci / Tech. Something lost is hard design (Art covers "soft" design) of Architecture, Sculpture, Industrial Design, etc.

Also Construction (Civil, Structural & Building Services Engineering, Architecture, Surveying) sometimes ends up in Gardening / DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

and chemical engineers who even though i've worked with them it still escapes me extactly what they do, i suppose some of there stuff would be covered by chemistry and some of the others victor mentioned.

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    and chemical engineers who even though i've worked with them it still escapes me extactly what they do, i suppose some of there stuff would be covered by chemistry and some of the others victor mentioned.

Some would come under Civil, I don't exactly know what they do in chemical engineering, but I've been told its very different to what one would study under chemistry as a science.

Originally posted by Skanger
    Some would come under Civil, I don't exactly know what they do in chemical engineering, but I've been told its very different to what one would study under chemistry as a science.
    Ooops, how could I forget them, with 3 in the family (one sells filtration, one designs plant, the last runs a pharma company as general manager) :) They basicly put all the pipes and gadgets together to optimise the production of a chemical :) They also earn waaaay too much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Victor
    I've been thinking of this for a while and it's very difficult to come up with a clear definition..
    Victor has spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Not sure if boards.ie is the ideal place for a technical Q&A forum but if we don't try we never find out. I for one will try and do my bit to make contributions.

I've a notion that that to be a success that type of forum really needs a few extremely altruistic experts who will make regular knowledgable contributions. You are bound to get plenty of people who only half know what they are talking about. I used to suscribe to alt.sci.electronics and I remember that Winfield Hill (one of the authors of the superb reference book: "The Art of Electronics") was a voracious correspondent. As a practising electronics designer it was fantastic to be able to get a free opinion from one of the World's greatest experts but he must have spent hours every day at this.

Originally posted by Gordon
    Victor has spoken.
    PFOAD :P

• Advertisement

oh i don't think it should go under the science branch though, as though engineering contains elements of science and all that its not science its engineering put it in sci/tech

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

oh i don't think it should go under the science branch though, as though engineering contains elements of science and all that its not science its engineering put it in sci/tech

Time, I think, for for a cheesy quote:

"Scientists discover the world that exists; engineers create the world that never was." Theodore von Karman

Good Engineering is about creation not just about about discovery. Really good engineering is closer to Art than to Science. The new bridge in Dundrum springs to mind.

so your in agreement then,

with regards to engineering being art everything in the vain of science, maths, engineering has can have an artistic aspect to it, the elegance of a proof, the beauty and simplicity of certain of certain molecules etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Would be keen to see a place for electronics projects discussions as current sci\tech electronics section doesn't seem to welcome such discussions. An Engineering board with subsections for each discipline would seem ideal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thumbs up !

Genetic Engineering ?

I think we can dispense with Software Engineering & Social engineering as they are more art forms than true engineering.

Originally posted by towbar
    Would be keen to see a place for electronics projects discussions as current sci\tech electronics section doesn't seem to welcome such discussions.

i have to disagree with with this statement, usually any thread thats even remotely related to a forum is most welcome there, i'm sure there would be no problems with electronics projects discussion in the sci/tech forum

data

i have to disagree with with this statement, usually any thread thats even remotely related to a forum is most welcome there, i'm sure there would be no problems with electronics projects discussion in the sci/tech forum
    Most mods will bin a thread if it smells of "do my project for me".

he did say discussion though, i've posted stuff up before looking for help with project work no problem

Originally posted by Victor
    Most mods will bin a thread if it smells of "do my project for me".

Victor I've used your forum and many of your post to help we out with my civil engineering projects (from a traffic management point of view)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

data

I was referring only to the forum that I thought was the most obvious place for Electronics discussion because it uses that title Sci/Tech - Electronics

One would expect that to be a place for Electronics discussion but reading the sticky it both those forums seems to suggest that these are not setup for general electronic discussion.

Sticky Electronics\ Home Entertainment

* Please Read Before Posting To This Fourm *

This board is for discussing things audio/visual related eg dvd players, video recorders, amps (not you amp), and other things like that. The usual rules apply here, cant really think of anything else that needs saying...

Sticky Electronics\ HW Tweaking/Modding

Read this before Posting to this Forum *

This is the Hardware Tweaking Forum, which is about tweaking, modding, and re-engineering hardware. This hardware is not limited to computer hardware, its anything !

General technology and tech support type questions should be posted in the Technology Board.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement