Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum request: GalwayLAN

Options
  • 01-01-2004 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to request a board for GalwayLAN.
    I've considered setting up a phpBB forum, but I simply don't ahve the time at the moment and most of the patrons of GalwayLAN are already on Boards.ie

(Lads and ladies, show your support etc.)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Seconded!

CHAMONE*

*apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

i *heart* galwaylan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I dont think GL should get it's own forum. It's always kept to one thread for each LAN anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

It has been kept to one thread however that has been one extremely messy thread with game recommendations date organisation competition organisation etc all being thrown in together the board would allow much clearer expression of these matters over multiple threads and allow queries by new attendee's to be seen and not lost in with the 200 other posts.

[Edit] I support this board. [/Edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The reason I suggested a board is because as Asok explained, there's a myriad amount of stuff that we talk about, and ideas I want to get feedback from, but if it's all in the one thread (which have often grown to tremendous sizes) the SNR gets nigh-on unbearable.
    Of course, the LAN announcements will still be posted up on LAN Parties.

I'd accept it being a private board, but that might be a double-edged sword in that while it allows the Old Guard etc. to have a place to discuss GL-specific topics and ideas, new people may not know about it, and it would also be a pain in the arse to ahve to go giving access to anyone who happened to want to comment on a topic/express interest.

I hope it's created, but at the end of the day it's up to the BOFHs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cyan

I support this request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭KinSlayer

I think its a good idea and if there are any doubts it can always be worked on a trial basis to see what interest there is in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I wholeheartedly support this new board suggestion!

It's definetly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Please think of the Spam.

Thirded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

fourthed, just look at the mess of the gl8 thread, and thats only been up a few weeks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

Id support it - As asok posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

I endorse this product and / or service. The threads are always full of game questins and the like. A boards would just make it nice and easy to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

i also support this request

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Go for it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

GalwayLan ate my hamster, it should have a board of it's own

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I'm thinking of withdrawing my vote, i feel i'm being spammed into accepting it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

I'd have to agree, a separate board for GL is warented at this stage. getting way to hard to track all the separate topics as they do tend to end up discussing about 6 different topics in the same thread.

personnally I'd like to see a collection of individual boards for the long running and repeating LANs underneath the Games->Lan Parties. would make it easier to discuss things like adding new hardware, buying/getting loans of switches, specing dedicated servers and the like. Instead of having to go to a couple of different boards on the Sci/Tech section just to keep discussions on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Do it, or I'll ****ing kill yeas all.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Jaden
    Do it, or I'll ****ing kill yeas all.....

well, that's sold me
    give the man what he wants!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'd also loike to offer my support this board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

galway should defo get the board. gwan da galway dudes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Thanks

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I HATE GALWAY

So a GalwayLAN board would make it a better place

bump.

Any call on this yet admins?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Do it or RopeDrink will rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

After much thought, I endorse this product, this service and Galway in general.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

How often are there Galway LANs? There's enough support and it's a fine cause, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how useful it would be going forward ...

(I didn't think there'd be a problem with a big lan hogging the lan parties board for a while coming up to an event).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, I personally dont see it as a problem of GalwayLAN threads hogging up LAN parties, it's just that the threads themselves do get very, very crowded, and confusing.
    There's too much to adress about GalwayLAN that just one thread can handle.

There's usually a LAN every few months, so there'd be plenty of need for it.

And dont let the fact that we are currently on GalwayLAN 8 fool you! The title doesn't seem to include the various other .5 lans or GalwayLAN 6.75 Point Release Beta Version 3.

Originally posted by ecksor
    How often are there Galway LANs? There's enough support and it's a fine cause, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how useful it would be going forward ...

(I didn't think there'd be a problem with a big lan hogging the lan parties board for a while coming up to an event).

A community board would be perfectly adequate, there's usually a lan every 3 months, there's one in exactly a week, and I'm planning for another one on the last week of March.
    I'm also looking at building a server and moving to a DNS/DHCP MAC-assigned network where people can literally plug in and have the same IP and hostname assigned to their machine (provided they've still got the same MAC address) removing the need to remember such-and-such a persons IP number for the LAN, instead just typing in their hostname :).
    This is just small selection of the stuff I'd like to have input on from the commuinity (and by that i mean Boards.ie as a whole, not just the GL heads).
    We've been using an IRC channel I setup about 18months ago, which is grand for chat and asking small questions, but it can hardly hold a long-term discussion about server specs, network architecture, funding plans etc. :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    And dont let the fact that we are currently on GalwayLAN 8 fool you! The title doesn't seem to include the various other .5 lans or GalwayLAN 6.75 Point Release Beta Version 3.
    1, 2, 2.5, 2.75, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and now 8, with 9 to follow in March and GLX in June/July :)
    Switching to Roman numerals and alpha sub-releases after that :)

Also, the codeword for this lan is "Skye".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement