Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying an iPod

• 01-01-2004 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey,
    I was thinking of getting an iPod. Problem is that the prices in the shops around dublin are a bit crazy. Already have broadband or i might have took eircom up on there offer. Anyway my question is, does any of one guys know a reliable and cheap site that sells them and ships to Ireland.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

komplett.ie or elara.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I've never seen an iPod selling for less than Apple's list price. Get it from the Apple store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i got my 20gig ipod in pcworld liffy valley for 429 euros cheaper than the apple store and komplett and elara.

* komplett only do the 40gig models and our priced at 560 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭fcukme

cheers, i'll check out those sites.

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    i got my 20gig ipod in pcworld liffy valley for 429 euros cheaper than the apple store and komplett and elara.

* komplett only do the 40gig models and our priced at 560 euros.

Two totally different products. Hey I both this car for 60 grand, yea well I bought this bike for a hundred euro. What's your point. Pcworld didn't sell the same product cheaper, they sold a substitute product cheaper

• Advertisement

the 20 gig is the version most people go for cost they 10 gig doesn't have the dock, case,remote etc whereas the 20 gig does.

now i know it was pcworld i bought it off but they were the cheapest for the 20gig version from anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

i suggest u try out amazon.com
    i lookin for one too, i tryed amazon.co.uk, it works out at 410 euro for the 20 gig
    amazon.com it works out at 318. Bit of a discrepancy there i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by L5
    i lookin for one too, i tryed amazon.co.uk, it works out at 410 euro for the 20 gig

Yes but amazon.com can't ship electrical goods outside the US/Canada. And if they did, you might get hit with a hefty import duty bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

why go for an ipod?

the iriver ihp-120 is far superior and cheaper available on amazon.co.uk for 244.

havent heard anything about that iriver but the customer reviews seem to certainly suggest its a lot better than an ipod.

• Advertisement

oh big time...the ipod is a fashion accessory. Dont take me word for it. Go to google and get a review on the ihp-120. Every site rates it so highly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Don't listen! iPod is so wonderfully pretty! Buy one!

Are you in school or college? The best price you'll find is on the Apple Education Store website... I got mine for 100 yo yos less than retail!! :D

Originally posted by Duffman
    Don't listen! iPod is so wonderfully pretty! Buy one!

Are you in school or college? The best price you'll find is on the Apple Education Store website... I got mine for 100 yo yos less than retail!! :D

DAMMIT.

where is this site that u speak off got a link.

and the ipod isn't a fashion accessory, sure it looks the best but doesn't mean it doesn't pack a fair bit of punch.

when i first saw the ipod for the first time i was amazed at how small it was, no picture made it look at small as it really is.

the ipod even has games, calender, notes, contacts to name a few things.

only downer i hate with it is the case you can't access the controls with it on! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/IrlInd

Still cheaper on Amazon.co.uk though.

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    DAMMIT.

where is this site that u speak off got a link.

and the ipod isn't a fashion accessory, sure it looks the best but doesn't mean it doesn't pack a fair bit of punch.

when i first saw the ipod for the first time i was amazed at how small it was, no picture made it look at small as it really is.

the ipod even has games, calender, notes, contacts to name a few things.

only downer i hate with it is the case you can't access the controls with it on! :mad:

no im afraid it is just a fashion accesory. Sure it has punch. But just not as much as the iriver ihp-120. That is a beast and beats the ipod hands down.

congrats. you've just convinced me on a iriver ahead of an ipod. ipods for girls *ducks*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i just got an ipod with the 3G offer and its fantastic but i'd never pay the type of money they look for it.

i'd pick up an iriver or a creative jukebox zen, i'm pretty sure you can get the creative one that has 3 times the storage of the smallest ipod for cheaper, i know its not as small and not as nice but it is in your pocket most of the time

now all i have to do is convince my mother to give me her credit card so i can buy the ****ing thing...even if i pay her in cash, she wnt give me the card because she hates me getting things that wont make me pass exams! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

I'm waiting for the Dell DJ. The reason? A combination of Battery life and price. It's supposedly being launched in Ireland in the Spring, but I have got no confirmation of the exact date. Anyone else have further info?

See: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/dj?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Rumour has it there's a new cheaper iPod (lower capacity, maybe smaller form factor) on the way at the next MacWorld show a week from now. Probably worth waiting to see what comes of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Anyone thinkin of gettin an ipod should beware of its 8hr battery life. Ordered my iriver today from amazon and I can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The Dell DJ looks like crap - the iRiver is even more expensive then the iPod:eek:, but if I had the money I'd go for the iRiver :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Id rather the Jukeboz Zen Xtra!.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Rumour has it there's a new cheaper iPod (lower capacity, maybe smaller form factor) on the way at the next MacWorld show a week from now. Probably worth waiting to see what comes of it.

according to Yahoo! it looks like its all lies....
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1620&ncid=738&e=12&u=/sv/20031231/tc_sv/appleunlikelytoreleasesmallercheaperipods

although i wouldnt believe yahoo, they are a bunch of tools that are always for sale to the highest bidder.

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i heard about the smaller cheaper ipods also, for example a 2G capacity for a hundred dollars or something, is the battery life on the ipod considered short?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Originally posted by L5

it's 412 euro converted from amazon.co.uk but that is without shipping, which would be another 10 euro i reckon??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

10 euro for shipping!? Not a chance. Shipping is the main reason i dont buy stuff from abroad.

I was just going to buy an Ericsson phone from this other american site, and the shipping turned out to be over €100. It really hikes up the price. Insurance and all that has to be included in the shipping cost. Its a bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

I just got a Sony Atrac3 Plus CD player for Christmas. I think it was e120. Using Atrac3 Plus you can fit roughly 2000 minutes of music onto a single CD, and it quotes battery life as being 95 hours off a pair of AA batteries (I've had the same pair of batteries in it since christmas day, playing MP3 and audio CDs). And it plays MP3s aswell.

Originally posted by sci0x
    10 euro for shipping!? Not a chance. Shipping is the main reason i dont buy stuff from abroad.

Komplett.ie do shipping ofr 10 euro last i checked, might be 15 euro, but I'm pretty sure it was 10/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea komplett will ship for €9.99 to ireland but this is far from the norm..... komplett have an irish dased website and have a special agreement with the delivery companies so they get very cheap rates.

The american companies ive seen dont depend on exports to keep their business going so its just a bonas if someone is willing to pay the extra. Overclockers.co.uk prob get a decent ammount of irish business but there shipping is still un-natural (£25 or more)

I found an american company that will deliver <2lbs <$150 for $12 to ireland. I know this definetly limits you but the prices are fantastic and its good if you need light stuff like ram or a cpu. Would like to know more companies in the USA that do this ??

Btw its www.excaliberPC.com , shipping is pretty fast and they use paypal (good company). Alot of overclocking stuff etc.

Advertisement