Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying an iPod

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Originally posted by drane2
    I just got a Sony Atrac3 Plus CD player for Christmas. I think it was e120. Using Atrac3 Plus you can fit roughly 2000 minutes of music onto a single CD, and it quotes battery life as being 95 hours off a pair of AA batteries (I've had the same pair of batteries in it since christmas day, playing MP3 and audio CDs). And it plays MP3s aswell.

i also got one of these...mine was 80 squid (the DN511 standard model..in RED ;) )
    am well pleased with it. at the quality level i use, which sounds fine, i fit about 17 hours of music...i havent tried the lower level of quality yet. I havent got anywhere near the 30 CDs it promises ( i can't see how you would fit it even if you used the lowest quality setting) but still find it great for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    The Dell DJ looks like crap - the iRiver is even more expensive then the iPod:eek:, but if I had the money I'd go for the iRiver :D.

It's not crap, it's the best new incarnation of an existing invention since trinagularly-cut sliced bread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

P&P from amazon isn't expensive. It cost me about £8stg for the iriver i ordered. Thats €11.30. Can't beat that price.

And the iriver is not more expensive than the ipod. A quick amazon search reveals the 20bg ipod for £289 while the 20gb iriver is £245.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

Originally posted by eclectichoney
    i also got one of these...mine was 80 squid (the DN511 standard model..in RED ;) )
    am well pleased with it. at the quality level i use, which sounds fine, i fit about 17 hours of music...i havent tried the lower level of quality yet. I havent got anywhere near the 30 CDs it promises ( i can't see how you would fit it even if you used the lowest quality setting) but still find it great for the price.

The 30 albums stuff is based on lowest quality, each track being 4 minutes long and 12 tracks per album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Apple are bringing out a mini iPod, I've read about it in the Englich Indo, and The Sun.... also it returns 4905 Results ona google search. Going to cost around 65 Sterling .

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Again, Apple Education Store is the way to go. Someone said Amazon is still cheaper, don't think that's true. Apple offer free express shipping (and that's from Taiwan) and their free lazer engraving offer is still on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

No Creative rule! If not the Jukeboz Zen Xtra then go for the Creative Jukebox Zen NX. Its €332.90 compared to the iPod's €549.00.

www.creative.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i acutally think it's up to the end user.

think about it for a second

sure i'm a ipod user and a few of the things that drew me towards it were the sheer size of it, the fact it weighs the less than 2 cd's, it stores all my outlook contacts (need a program to synchronize them), when it's in my pocket i don't feel it there etc etc

it may not have other features that other mp3 players have or as much storage.

some people don't care about looks and just want the biggest hard drive.
    some people don't care about how big the hard drive is and go for features/looks.

but when it comes down to it there are three mp3 players you can buy and i can only speak for one since i'm not loaded and stupid enough to buy three fairly identical products

ipod - great size and comsumer follow up (in form of extra software etc etc)
    iriver - built in mic and radio tuner
    zen nx - bigger hard drive

also i don't like the way you guys were trying to change his mind about what to get he had his eyes set on a ipod and then you start shoving in other options it's not like the ipod is a complete flop.

also just a quick note on which i think is best.
    Which was the most sought after gadget this christmas?
    Which 20gig model was mostly sold out everywhere in the run up to christmas?

that's right the ipod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Yeah you're right.

But the main reason the person started the thread was to find out what people think about the ipod. They've probably done all their homework on the iPod now they want to know what ppl think of it. Some say its good, some say its bad. Others (me) offer alternatives to check into to give the poster an idea of what else is on the market.

I mean this is the reason we are here... to give our own opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Iriver ihp-120 - save yourself some cash. Get a much more future proof system. And benefit overall from having the best hard drive mp3 player on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I got a Creative Zen NX (30GB) for xmas, and was very unimpressed.
    The damn thing froze a LOT, wouldn't power up after going into auto-sleep, and didnt like loading large playlists (it hung, or crashed totally), i'm looking now for something else and the ihp-120 is looking pretty good i have to say.

Are amazon.co.uk really the cheapest for this?
    I have almost €300 in paypal i need to spend too, so if anyone knows of a reputable ebay seller selling them i'd be happy to hear either?

Still haven't forgotten about the ipod, but this ihp-120 is looking good. particularly like the line-in recording feature, means i wont have to download all those nasty CDs that wont rip, jsut hook this to the cd player and leave it alone for an hour :)

Advertisement