Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physchem/Chemistry and books

Options
  • 01-01-2004 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I need to do leaving cert chemistry to prepare me for a second degree i'm planning on doing. I did nearly a year of chem in 5th year and then switched to another class, so i'm planning on learning on my own where possible. Can anyone recommend a good, easy to follow chemistry book? Back when I did it (5 years ago) the books were terrible!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

The course has changed since then, it's a lot less mathsy.

Chemistry Live seems to do the trick, then again, it's the only chemistry book I know of :) . It's a good book.

Would be better to actually do a course in Leaving Cert. Chemistry though. It's not so easy without an objective examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by CuLT
    The course has changed since then, it's a lot less mathsy.

Chemistry Live seems to do the trick, then again, it's the only chemistry book I know of :) . It's a good book.

Would be better to actually do a course in Leaving Cert. Chemistry though. It's not so easy without an objective examiner.

Oh, didn't know the curriculum had changed. Hmm. Thanks for the book name :)
    Actually, is there a practical component to your final exam grade? I know in the UK, A-Levels include a practical as part of your exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Actually, is there a practical component to your final exam grade?

Nope, it's an entirely written exam, but a considerable portion of it is based on the experiments on the course. There're about 28 mandatory experiments, I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Has anyone here done leaving cert physchem? I know not many schools offer it, and I don't need chemistry or physics for matriculation purposes, more for the purpose of re-aquainting myself with both subjects. But are the elements of physics and chemistry that are covered in that LC subject much more elementary or are they at the same level as regular LC chem and LC physics?

Advertisement