Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hidden warez on pc

• 02-01-2004 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

not sure if this this is right place to post this tread but anyways..

the problem is there's hidden stuff that keeps spaming on my pc when i use the net my homepage automaticly gets change every so often.
    and when searching using google and click on something some crap pops up, instead i have to press back and click again
    its not ads its the same thing over and over again and really p*ssing me off
    i used ad-aware 6 and registery first aid and did a complete clean and still the same b*llox pops up
    and no program is running i used msconfig and turned all usless programs off
    so any help would be nice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Try downloading and running Spybot Search & Destroy. It seems to catch more stuff than ad-aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

ok thx i'll give it a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Also kill crappy IE, and get a decent browser like Mozilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

yeah spybot search and destroy is great for getting rid of just about everything! give adaware a try too, it picked up one thing before that spybot didn't when i was doing scans a couple of weeks ago, i'm sure spybot has caught that now but having two works :) plus on spybot install the "bad page blocker" this prevents sites from further loading their crap onto your pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    Also kill crappy IE, and get a decent browser like Mozilla.

It's againts Boards.ie rules to suggest to anyone to get a better browser - like say Firebird - than Internet Exploder, this is your last warning!:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

OfflerCrocGod tries reverse psychology:D

"Don't install Firebird"
    "OK I will then"

"Don't use reverse psychology..."
    "OK, I... ah the point is made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Dunno if its illegal to link to a Mozilla Firebird installer : http://downloads.us-east3.mozdev.org/seb/MozillaFirebird-0.7-setup.exe

From http://seb.mozdev.org/firebird/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

spybot done it for me :) my brower was hijacked by orther random urls
    cheers for ur help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Use Spybot and Ad-aware. Between them they find 99%~100% of all the spam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    It's againts Boards.ie rules to suggest to anyone to get a better browser - like say Firebird - than Internet Exploder, this is your last warning!:D.

Against rules? Thats a joke right? :dunno:

Matt

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    Against rules? Thats a joke right? :dunno:

Matt
    Well seeing as how he's not a mod for this board or any other - I'd take it as a joke :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

i have spybot n addaware, all updated blah blah but i still have this CRAP www.coolfreesoftware.com homepage which i cant get rid of:/

the last time one of cousins were down i think they put it on,

what will get rid of this, i miss the boards homepage everytime i clikc on ie

Check msconfig to see if anything unfamiliar is lurking around your startup items.
    Also search your registry for references to said website and kill/replace 'em all.
    Check "c:\windows\downloaded program files" for anything out of the ordinary.... again, kill at will.
    Clear your 'temporary internet files'.
    You should also be careful with the permissions IE has for activex and java, as the defaults allow a lot of sites to run malicious crudd like what you're experiencing now.
    Also run a free virus scan from the symantec site, which is usualy good for telling you what you've contracted, but useless for removing it... either way, you can look it up and find out exactly what you're dealing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by cartman
    i have spybot n addaware, all updated blah blah but i still have this CRAP www.coolfreesoftware.com homepage which i cant get rid of:/

the last time one of cousins were down i think they put it on,

what will get rid of this, i miss the boards homepage everytime i clikc on ie

You require CWShredder ->here ... :)

Advertisement