Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewall Needed?

• 02-01-2004 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Not sure if this is an appropriate location for this, so ignore it if it isn't.

I've got some PC's connecting through to ADSL using a combo Linksys ADSL Router/Modem/Switch. Linksys seem to claim in their blurb that this negates the need for a firewall to some extent. However, I'm inclined to take that with a grain of salt.

So anyway, my question is do I need to get set up with a firewall on the pcs with this setup in place, or not? I've been trying Zonealarm, but it causes issues with certain games, and it resets its permissions whenever the machine crashes.

Can anyone reccommend any other free firewalls? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

'Tiny Personal Firewall' is what I'm using. I've also used zonealarm but I recommend TPF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by qwertyup
    Not sure if this is an appropriate location for this, so ignore it if it isn't.

I've got some PC's connecting through to ADSL using a combo Linksys ADSL Router/Modem/Switch. Linksys seem to claim in their blurb that this negates the need for a firewall to some extent. However, I'm inclined to take that with a grain of salt.

So anyway, my question is do I need to get set up with a firewall on the pcs with this setup in place, or not?
    The Linksys is a better firewall for inbound packets than anything you can install on your PC. Your PC has an IP address of 192.168.something - it's simpley not accessible from the internet. The only inbound packets reaching your machine are one that you "pull in" by sending a request out to the internet (a HTTP request, or a POP request to read you mail, etc).

The only advantage of a software firewall is that it will allow you to block outbound requests, so that if a trojan gets installed, you might (if you're paying attention) get an alert to tell you baout unauthorized outbound traffic. But most people just seem to disable the alerts, which effectively makes any software firewall behind your hardware a waste of CPU cycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Afto agree with Ripwave there is no real need for a firewall once you have a router setup like the one you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Thirded, and if your running windows you can get yourself 2 extra layers of insulation, first by decombobulating, which will stop all blaster-style viruses forever. And secondly, if you're running WindowsXP, you can put up it's firewall, under connection settings, but there's really no point in this whatsover with a router.

To DCOMbobulate, you'll need the DCOMbobulator.

http://www.grc.com/files/DCOMbob.exe

Civilian_Target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

first by decombobulating

That must be the most useless app I have seen in my life. An entire executable file for changing one registrykey.

... and... if you turn off DCOM by disabling it in the registry, the "test" is pretty useless, as DCOM is disabled.

Seriously, do this instead: Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\OLE in the windows regisitry. There, you'll find a key called "EnableDCOM". Doubleclick on it, change the value from 'Y' to 'N', reboot and DCOM is disabled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement