Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A couple oof questions about ign

Options
  • 10-02-2000 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

well with a few posts here about server im just curious

1. where are the ign servers , ie are they in the indigo offices???? are the in the indigo subnet???

2. what are the servers , ie is there a seperate web server and maybe 1 or 2 games servers????

3. lets say i wanted to set up a q3 server on eircoms servers or any isp for that matter and talked to them ( ie a clan server ) would it be difficult to talk them around and would it cost alot??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

IGN servers are in the eircom net offices in Temple Bar.

We have 5 server boxes, Quake (QW servers), Kali (Kali and Web), Vishnu (Q3), Horsebox (Tribes and HL), Eddie (Q2 and UT).

As for getting your own server into eircom, I'd say the chances are easier of going to the moon. Plant a flag for me too!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You would have to pay Eircom for the privilege. Approx 20,000 for your box to be installed on a decent enough (read: 256-512K) line.

The IGN lives on sufferance, good will and ignorance of our existance for the most part.

With the cataclysmic changes happening in the Irish net (from our fish eye view) we have to face the possibility that, just like Indigo and IOL servers before, we can be cut off with no grounds for complaint.
    In that instance, we'd have to have somewhere to communicate developments as the boards would go too.

The likelyhood is that we could renegotiate with someone else but that could take weeks if not months and how do we inform everyone of our new home?

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that the IGN has some copper fastened contract and has Globex Corporation style funding. It just isnt so and with one flick of a switch, we just cease to be a community.
    Indigo did it before and IOL did it before that too, so it can happen unfortunately...

Dont despair, thats the reality but there is no reason to think anything is going to happen, at least not before we become partly self sufficent.

Tom.

[This message has been edited by DeVore (edited 10-02-2000).]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sonic get up here and fix my pc!!

Never fear, my patronage will last forever.

--
    Just don't call me Mr. Scorpion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭FurY

Any1 ever thought of approaching Esat regarding games servers??
    [ps]SéaN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 samresh

I DIDNT POST THAT

it must be some crook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

spot the boredom.
    haha

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

thanks john and tom , hmm 20k looks like ill be saving for another few century's

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

Is their any need for TWO quake2 servers, their both always empty. At least can we put it down to one server (war1) and free up some resources for the ut servers which are used regularly.

Just a sugestion, sorry if I sound *****y.

[This message has been edited by Spoonman (edited 10-02-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yeah Slap up a UT Headhunters Server instead of those Q2 ones.

Gandalf the weird mod lad smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ack!
    i tried to get cloud to take down one of the q2 servers before and he didnt..naughty john

speakng of isps.
    what ever happened to the dna onjes
    remember they used to run a few games servers but everyones pings were just so goddamn crap we never played there..could be worth looking at in the case of a catastrophy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

there is no need for 2 q2 servers.

Okay I'll see what I can do.

J.
    --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

Please, could everyone just stop talking about UT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Isn't UT great.

Okay I've taken the Q2 servers off thut box and testing 1 UT Assault server there instead of the 2 Q2 servers - if the box is overloaded and / or players are finding it laggier we can just leave the box with the 2 old UT servers. Posted on the UT board about it anyway. I guess if I mention UT any more times that guy who doesn't like UT might explode or something like thut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

Whats UT anyway? smile.gif
    Is UT good?
    biggrin.gif
    UT, UT smile.gif

quake2-2.ign.ie gone.

quake2-1.ign.ie moved to another box but with same settings and latest BWAdmin.

Cloud's IGN Server List

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

So what about those Qamex servers, what's the deal with them? Are they financed by IOL?
    (I only ask so that UT can be mentioned again)
    thats - U.T.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

when i said we didn't need 2 q2 servers, i sortof meant that 1 would be enough. there are plenty of folk using them to justify 1 q2 server smile.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement