Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic to host Ireland matches at Parkhead?

• 02-01-2004 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0102/soccer/celtic.html
    Celtic have told the Republic of Ireland they may be able to use Parkhead for their World Cup qualifying matches.

Plans to revamp Lansdowne Road have been put on ice and that could mean the Irish looking elsewhere to play their home games against France, Switzerland, Cyprus, Israel and the Faroe Islands.

A Celtic spokesman told the Scottish Sun: 'We have already made it clear to the FAI we'd be delighted to discuss the possibility of hosting future Irish international matches at Celtic Park.'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I hope to GOD the FAI approach the GAA and try agree renting Croke for our home games, travelling to Britain (even if it is celtic park) to play home games would be a disaster and a shame, that as far as Ireland has come we don't have the facilites to allow our National team play at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Not sure if this is true or not but I heard somewhere that the Northern Ireland team have a similar problem as us - were offered Ibrox - and turned it down because of the message it would send out.

Ireland playing at Parkhead is not good. Ireland and Celtic are two separate entities - despite what some Celtic supporters think.

I'm referring to the ones that wear the Celtic shirt to Ireland games and boo foreign players that a) play for Rangers b) used to play for Rangers c) knew someone whose brother's friend supported Rangers d) had a bet on Rangers to win a game e) played a match against Rangers etc

You can't claim to be an Irish club AND the first British club to win the European Cup.

:(

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth

You can't claim to be an Irish club AND the first British club to win the European Cup.

They don't claim to be Irish they claim to have been setup by the Irish and have close irish links.

As for the Irish people booing Rangers players I think its all blown out of proportion. Irish people who support Man United players would boo Man City players if they thought evryone would follow. The only difference is that most Irish people support Celtic in the SPL, if they played in the Premiership they probably wouldn't.

Have you ever been to an Enlish league game because then you'l see real booing in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Parkhead is a beautiful stadium! I wouldn't mind making the trip!

Even so they should stop f*cking about and push for Croker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It would be a great shame if we had to move across waters to play our "home" games while Croker is lying Idle. The last time there was a vote in the GAA for foreign sports to be played in Croker it failed by 1 or 2 percent, they have to vote on this again in a few months and I'm sure some of those voters would have changed their minds.
    I'm referring to the ones that wear the Celtic shirt to Ireland games and boo foreign players that a) play for Rangers b) used to play for Rangers c) knew someone whose brother's friend supported Rangers d) had a bet on Rangers to win a game e) played a match against Rangers etc
    Why do so many boards members hate Celtic fans just because of what happened in Lansdowne Road. If you like it or not Celtic fans are an ambassador for Ireland, Every away Celtic match is absolutely crowded with Irish flags which are seen from around the world. Celtic fans were given an award by both FIFA and UEFA for their good behaviour in such large numbers and a large percentage of them were Irish. The people that boo at Lansdowne probably haven't got the money to travel to Scotland for the matches so it will only leave the real Irish/Celtic fans at Ireland matches.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    The people that boo at Lansdowne probably haven't got the money to travel to Scotland for the matches so it will only leave the real Irish/Celtic fans at Ireland matches.

Thats a very ignorant remark.

Originally posted by irish1
    Thats a very ignorant remark.
    OMG You can't win either way. If you pick up for the booers you get the head bitten off you and critisize them and you still get slated. It wasn't meant to be taken serious, its just most of the booers I see are under 18 so wouldn't have the money to get over.

OMG You can't win either way. If you pick up for the booers you get the head bitten off you and critisize them and you still get slated. It wasn't meant to be taken serious, its just most of the booers I see are under 18 so wouldn't have the money to get over.

Well if you were referring to their age rather than there Class then I apologise, I just picked it up that you referring to their class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It just wouldnt work!!!

All the Irish supporters would have to fly over to Scotland! Just to see their team play!

Originally posted by |.Murderer.|
    It just wouldnt work!!!

All the Irish supporters would have to fly over to Scotland! Just to see their team play!

But Hundreds go over every week to see celtic play on buses/ferry.

Its actually reasonable enough if you don't mind the long trip!
    Although i'm sure if the FAI are organising this thing the money will go up!:mad:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Gilly2003

We'r talking about 40 - 50 thousand here mate.

I understand that Irish but I still think it won't put that many out!?
    What do I know! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I dont think it would be the same oplaying ''home'' matches in other countrys no matter where it is.

I think that the only two matches that would have to be played outside the country would be the France and Switzerland games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Not sure if this is true or not but I heard somewhere that the Northern Ireland team have a similar problem as us - were offered Ibrox - and turned it down because of the message it would send out.

Ireland playing at Parkhead is not good. Ireland and Celtic are two separate entities - despite what some Celtic supporters think.

:(

The Celtic charter says the Celtic fc are a Scottish club with proud Irish roots!

If we have to play our home games outside of Ireland then I hope it will be in Parkhead.
    The stadium will be packed to the rafters with genuine football people (not those who jumped on the 'soccer" bandwagon during Italia 1990) who know more songs than "ole ole" and have a genuine effection for Ireland.

Bring it on I say
    :D

Its actually reasonable enough if you don't mind the long trip!
    Although i'm sure if the FAI are organising this thing the money will go up!:mad:

Its actually several thousand!

Was talking to some local members of a Celtic supporters club who said that if this happens they will be doing trips and using the same hotels that they use for Celtic games and that the only change in price would be whatever the FAI are gonna charge for tickets!

I would imagen many supporters clubs around the country will do the same.

I wasn't sure so I said Hundreds.
    U gotta be very careful what you say on Boards if your an Irish Celtic fan it seems!
    Or maybe its just me?

I wasn't sure so I said Hundreds.
    U gotta be very careful what you say on Boards if your an Irish Celtic fan it seems!
    Or maybe its just me?

Personally Im quiet enjoying it, the hostility here is if anything funny.

Hard to imagen a place with more misinformation in Ireland apart from the Dail of course!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

This shouldn't go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

No matter how great Celtic Park is, or how much the GAA are afraid of their own shadows, its still an absolute disgrace that Ireland aren't playing this year's matches at Croke Park. Its a f*cking disgrace. :mad:

wearing the jersey of a foreign club to your national team's games is wrong
    either wear an Ireland jersey or no jersey

and I daresay not done anywhere else in the world - maybe I'm wrong

• Advertisement

perhaps Rangers shirts in Windsor Park but that's wrong too

and I daresay not done anywhere else in the world - maybe I'm wrong

I'd say you are bet you'l see loads of real madrid Jerseys at any England game from now on and who are you to say people are wrong to wear a celtic jersey to and Irish game????:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Manchester United have released a statement saying they have held informal talks with the FAI and would be delighted to host some or Irelands home ties. apparently Celtic and Livepool have also been approached.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Manchester United have released a statement saying they have held informal talks with the FAI and would be delighted to host some or Irelands home ties. apparently Celtic and Livepool have also been approached.

I would'nt mind playing in Old Trafford its a big tadium,there would be a big crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally posted by kmart6
    I dont think it would be the same oplaying ''home'' matches in other countrys no matter where it is.

You stick to your principles well, don't you?

Originally posted by Exit
    You stick to your principles well, don't you?

Ah but you see,I was making Old Trafford an exception to wgat I had said earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

It would be a great shame if we had to move across waters to play our "home" games while Croker is lying Idle. The last time there was a vote in the GAA for foreign sports to be played in Croker it failed by 1 or 2 percent, they have to vote on this again in a few months and I'm sure some of those voters would have changed their minds..]

1 or 2 percent thats very interesting considering they would need 60% for the yoke to go ahead.(the president of the gaa said this in some interview when he was supporting other games played in croker.he still is supporting that. )

this would mean that a majority of 58% to 42% wanted soccer to be played there.Its a little ****ed up that majority dosent rule .:confused: :eek: :( :mad: :dunno:

Sure for that last vote,aload of the G.A.A. officals avoided voting by staying in the toilets

Brian Kerr said tonight at the R.T.E. Sporting Moments thing that the whole thing is a shambles and that the F.A.I. And the I.R.F.U. need a proper stadium which the goverment shouldhelp with

He was'nt happy about the situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The people that boo at Lansdowne probably haven't got the money to travel to Scotland for the matches so it will only leave the real Irish/Celtic fans at Ireland matches.

Ah, the real Irish/Celtic fans. Would they be the ones who drowned out the pre-match discussion at Pittoderie on Sky Sports a couple of seasons ago with a rousing rendition of "Go On Home British Soldiers"? Salt of the earth...:rolleyes:

Great choice of tune in British city Aberdeen...

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Ah, the real Irish/Celtic fans. Would they be the ones who drowned out the pre-match discussion at Pittoderie on Sky Sports a couple of seasons ago with a rousing rendition of "Go On Home British Soldiers"?
    No, they are the fans that one an award by both FIFA and UEFA for their behaviour, the ones you mentioned are the ones that boo at Lansdowne because I see few Irish/Celtic fans at Parkhead that would act like that.

Originally posted by Big Ears
    1 or 2 percent thats very interesting considering they would need 60% for the yoke to go ahead.(the president of the gaa said this in some interview when he was supporting other games played in croker.he still is supporting that. )

this would mean that a majority of 58% to 42% wanted soccer to be played there.Its a little ****ed up that majority dosent rule .:confused: :eek: :( :mad: :dunno:
    Big Ears you didn't understand what I said. The vote needed 66% in favour of the opening but it lost by 1 or two percent which would mean only 64%-65% were in favour. I have looked this up and I found out that it actually failed to open its doors to foreign Sports by one single vote.

From: http://www.eleven-a-side.com/offthefield/story.asp?newsid=8816

The prospects of an Irish senior soccer team playing in front of 65,000 spectators at Croke Park looks set to move a step closer after Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) chief Sean Kelly revealed that he wants to reduce the majority required in order to implement association rule changes.

Under present regulations a two-thirds majority is required in order to bring about a change to the GAA rule-book, which currently outlaws the use of Association grounds by foreign sports.

But Kelly would like that reduced to 60%, which would result in a major shift in the balance of power at Congress, meaning in theory that a motion could be passed with 20 less votes than it would take at the moment.

Kelly said: "I have always thought [a two-thirds majority] to be too high. The Irish people can amend the Constitution with a simple majority, yet we need two out of three votes to change a GAA rule. Our education system regards 60 per cent as an honours mark, but it’s not enough to bring about rule changes in the GAA. There’s no logic in that.

"People may feel that if there is to be any change, the two-thirds rule should be replaced by a simple majority, but that might bring its own problems as a close debate could be repeatedly settled by a few votes one way or the other. By seeking a 60 per cent majority, I believe we would have a fair compromise."

Had the 60 per cent rule previously been in place, a motion to open Croke Park to other sports at Congress two years ago would have been passed by a comfortable 20-vote majority, instead of failing by a single vote.

Ireland’s home games for the forthcoming World Cup qualification campaign are likely to be played outside of the country after Uefa announced that temporary seating would not be permitted at Lansdowne Road in future campaigns unless there was a firm commitment on the national stadium issue. Anfield, Villa Park and Celtic Park in Glasgow are the possible options for the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

No, they are the fans that one an award by both FIFA and UEFA for their behaviour, the ones you mentioned are the ones that boo at Lansdowne because I see few Irish/Celtic fans at Parkhead that would act like that.

You're contracticting yourself now. You said the ones that boo at Lansdowne haven't got the money to travel to Scotland, now you're saying they're the ones singing provo songs in Pittoderie? Which is it?

As for the lack of that behaviour at Parkhead, I am reliably informed by an avid Celtic fan that this is due to a zero tolerance at Parkhead for any provo/political chanting, on pain of being banned from the ground. Care to comment?

I'll take this opportunity to congratulate the authorities at Celtic for that measure. I'll also congratulate the football fans who travelled Europe in support of Celtic during the UEFA Cup campaign last season. They are indeed a credit to their club. Its just a pity a vocal minority of cretins have to give them a bad name.

Hmmmm

there are some people who would prefer if Ireland could play all their home games at Parkhead

Hmmmm

there are some people who would prefer if Ireland could play all their home games at Parkhead
    I don't think anyone would want to play in Parkhead if Croker was opened, Parkhead is a last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Big Ears you didn't understand what I said.......................

He'll wear his finger down if he has to read all that.:D

Originally posted by The Muppet
    He'll wear his finger down if he has to read all that.:D
    :D:D

wearing the jersey of a foreign club to your national team's games is wrong
    either wear an Ireland jersey or no jersey

That sir is the most childish statement Iv yet seen posted on this board!

PLease explain the logic behind it if you will?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

after the comments combat 18 have been making, the fai would be extremely stupid to consider playing home games in the uk

death threats towards fans are not to be taken lightly, and im sure there arent many of us who would put it past combat 18 to carry them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

According to the news this morning, Ireland at Parkhead wont happen because:

a) Scotland could be playing at Hampden on the same day or weekend and the
    city council / police woudnt agree to having 4 sets of supporters in glasgow at the same time

b) Traditional Catholic/Protestant 'rivalry' could be further inflamed if there were a
    couple of thousand Irish supporters wandering around places where they shouldn't necessarily be.....

Anfield is mentioned as most likely other option. What capacity is on the ferry crossing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If Ireland were to play their home games at Parkhead (and in all honesty that’s a huge “if”) well then it would be unbelievably embarrassing for Ireland. I think Tom Humphries puts it best in his article in the Irish Times today…
    Remember us? We were going to host Euro 2008 with you? Yeah, that’s right. Well there’s this crowd called the GAA...

He also goes into great detail why he reckons the GAA won't open up Croker!

Also, can somebody answer these questions for me?? As I understand it, UEFA won't let the games go ahead because of temporary seating behind the goals in the Terraces?
    But the seats in the Stands are ok? If so, why don't they only open up the Stands? I know the loss of revenue would be a killer but surely it's better than playing our "Home" games in a foreign country?!?! And besides, how many people would actually travel to see Ireland play? Match tickets, Plane/Boat Tickets, Accommodation, spending money, time off work!! It wouldn't be a cheap trip.

B

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    Also, can somebody answer these questions for me?? As I understand it, UEFA won't let the games go ahead because of temporary seating behind the goals in the Terraces?
    But the seats in the Stands are ok? If so, why don't they only open up the Stands? I know the loss of revenue would be a killer but surely it's better than playing our "Home" games in a foreign country?!?!
    I've often wondered this aswell but maybe it has something to do with the Lansdowne Redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mr Grumpy

I agree with Baz. There's nothing to stop the FAI using just the stands at Landsdowne - the athmosphere would be crap but then again it's been crap for years - just the FAI being greedy and wanting to maximise gate receipts (and who can blame them). So whether they sell their soul to Parkhead, Old Trafford or Croker is pretty irrelevant in the short term provided that they do actually use the gate receipts to build a proper stadium. It doesn't have to be huge. It doesn't have to be fancy. Just stick it near a motorway and a railway line. If Wales can build the MS in Cardiff for a couple of hundred million why are we being told it's going to cost a billion for a stadium in Ireland?

Hmmm I've rambled a bit here. Sorry.:)

Originally posted by AmenToThat
    That sir is the most childish statement Iv yet seen posted on this board!

PLease explain the logic behind it if you will?

Celtic = foreign club

not Irish
    not the same as Ireland
    two separate entities

yet huge numbers of people wear Celtic shirts to Ireland games.

I find it annoying and I'm not the only one.

I believe if you want to wear a jersey to an International game it should be the one of the team you are going to support

Otherwise don't wear a jersey

you are not going to see Celtic playing you are going to see Ireland playing
    likewise booing Rangers players while they represent their country is wrong
    keep that for old firm games

people can wear what they want - it's just an opinion

Stop your anti-Celtic rant. The reason people wear Celtic jersey's to Ireland matches is because of the colour not because of the Irish connections. What would you prefer to see, a green and white jersey or a black bloody jacket. Don't be stupid.

jaysus calm down - it's just an opinion

Shamrock Rovers have a similar jersey - would much rather see someone wearing one of those - at least they are Irish:D

It is just an excuse to give out about Celtic. Why can't people just accept that a lot of the Irish fans support Celtic, most of them didn't just support them because of their Irish links but because their father did, and his father did and so on. Celtic are owned and managed by an Irishman, I want(ed) to see Carlisle do well for the same reason but they haven't had the same fortunes.:(

the way Carlisle are playing lately they might just survive

although it's two to go down now and can't see Darlington giving up their league status for a second time without a fight

Shamrock Rovers have a similar jersey - would much rather see someone wearing one of those - at least they are Irish:D

Calm down?
    I havnt seen you post one constructive comment in the time Iv been on this board!
    I dont think anybody minds consructive criticism but your simply rephrasing the same negatives in different threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Remember lads,

reason theres no pitch = government and fai

NOT the Gaa.

Gaa have not even been asked for use of the pitch!

Make sure ye know what yer talking about before fireing around remarks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement