Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell cdrom on toshiba laptop

• 02-01-2004 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is possible but sounds like is should be - basically I have a spare external dell laptop cdrom and cable. I want to plug this into my toshiba satellite laptop, but when i do the cdrom isnt recognised. I guess that dell and toshiba uses differrent pin configurations in their external cdroms.

So does anyone know of a way to do this or if there is any type of converter or universal cable that will allow me to use the dell cdrom ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Dell, Dell, Dell they make it so hard to change your hardware, Anyway im sure there is a cable for the Hdd try getting a standard 2.5" cable and see if it works if not ask dell whats the ******* story I cant put in a different CD-ROM????????????

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At a guess you are plugging it into the parallel port of the Toshiba. If the tosh already has a built in CDROM then they probably didn't bother adding in the extra circuitry 'cos it doesn't need it.

Also a lot of Dell inspirons were OEM'd so no standards across the range - try and swap removable drive bays or get docking stations for them :mad:

Advertisement