Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your favourite flying games and why.

Options
  • 02-01-2004 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

What are your favourite flying games and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Well if this includes Space sims. The Freespace series. Nice indepth storylines in both. A wide range of Loadouts and Ships to chose from and some very nice dogfighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

X-WING VS. TIE FIGHTER

for the main reason it rocked and it was star wars

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Originally posted by Squall
    Well if this includes Space sims. The Freespace series. Nice indepth storylines in both. A wide range of Loadouts and Ships to chose from and some very nice dogfighting.

Freespace is one of my all-time favourite games - the atmosphere, storyline and music were spot on, and came together to provide one of the immersive games I've ever played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Cool Freespace does look good. Thanks for the suggestion.

Will read up on X wing v tie fighter now to see if its my cup of tea although i did LOVE rogue squadron.

Tie fighter was excellent. X-Wing wasnt really great though. I think Freesoace can be downloaded legally now. Im pretty sure i saw iut on underdogs, but i dont know if im allowed link to there so ill let you find it yourself :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Freespace is free to download now
    theirs even a freespace 2 mod that adds a **** load of modern grapics settings

i dont know where you can download it though (i found out from a star trek bridge commander mod forum)

so if you have a link it should be fine to post it

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Originally posted by Squall
    Tie fighter was excellent. X-Wing wasnt really great though.

Actually yeah, thats going back a bit but you've just reminded me of how great Tie Fighter was... the storyline was less linear than X-Wings and definitely an improvement. The way you could talk to characters inbetween missions meant the game was as deep as you wanted it to be.

That said, X-Wing certainly deserves a mention since it was the first space-sim I ever played, and convinced me to rent out Star Wars once I found out that there were actually Star Wars films :rolleyes: (I originally played X-Wing on a 286 with no sound, I was much younger at the time!)

The main issue with the Star Wars space combat sims by comparison to the newer ones like Freespace is that the lack of an afterburner often meant that you were forced to 'cruise' towards a faraway destination for an extended period of time, which could make the game seem boring. Personally I didn't mind, but onlookers wondered how I could play such a game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Crimson Skies on PC , most fun I ever had flying , good online too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Cool Freespace does look good. Thanks for the suggestion.

Will read up on X wing v tie fighter now to see if its my cup of tea although i did LOVE rogue squadron.

Rogue Squadron wasnt a Space or Flight sim, its was an "arcade" game.
    Wasnt there a "Collectors Edition" of Tie Fighter that improved the GFX released about 1.5 years ago?

Matt

Ya i think i remember hearing something about that. Never saw it anywere though. Would be nice to have really was a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0

i won't forget that ever.

Or Sopwith Camel, the side scrolling one, that was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Pilotwings 64 on the Nintendo 64. Fond memories of flying over Little America.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

LOMAC although it's in serious need of patching (soon, please sooooooon).
    Tough game to get the hang but the gameplay is superb and graphics are 2nd to none.
    Plus, the 3rd party manual is near-essential.

IL-2
    Super EF-2000 (still brilliant gameplay)
    DID's TAW
    Strike Fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

I really loved Crimson Skies on the PC it was a great fun title.

Use to play it loads, but my new pc has XP on it and can't get it to play properly on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by qwertyphobia
    I really loved Crimson Skies on the PC it was a great fun title.

Use to play it loads, but my new pc has XP on it and can't get it to play properly on it

I'm using XP pro with service pack1 and it works no problem , and since I got BB a few months ago I have even played it online .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

I'd had to go with the X-wing series too.

my Fav being X-wing Vs Tie fighter purely for multiplayer / LAN gaming nother better and you and 5 of your mates flying head to head with a star destroyer :D

I've never actually played Crimson skies before, what time of game is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by Lyconix
    Freespace is one of my all-time favourite games - the atmosphere, storyline and music were spot on, and came together to provide one of the immersive games I've ever played.

yup and so was Freespace 2, one of the best gaming experiences there is. lots of add on campaigns, ships, mods etc to be got for it too.

Got Crimson Skies for the xbox at the weekend. really enjoying it, a good dogfighting game in a Wild Wild West type 1930's setting. much better than that film tho!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Freespace 2 definitly. Seeing the Sathanas for the first time. Man that ship was big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Defender !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Magic Carpet and it's add-on Hidden Worlds, and it's sequel, imaginatively titled Magic Carpet 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

chuck yeagers air combat: first flight sim i ever played. Great fun.

F22 ADF: best mix of arcade and realism i have ever seen in a flight sim. Never played TAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Hands down, X-Wing. The original that is. Followed closly by Tie Fighter. And then Banjo-Kazooie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

FreeLancer. A amzing game

Actually Tie Fighter is the best space game i EAVER played.

EDIT: i didnt notice we had to explain why.

FreeLancer: Very good game, decent storyline. Easy modabality brilant for online play
    Single player moderate legenth

Tie Fighter: Very VERY good game. Brillent single player, it reley made you feel like u where that pilot and that you hungerd for revenge to kill the imperial admiral who betrayed you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

Originally posted by Rev Hellfire
    Defender !

You forgot to mention why, Rev... I'm guessing here but... is it because the Time Pilot machine was broken...??? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

the part when mario gets feather in super mario world, i fly like the wind and then stamp to the ground, its great.

never was into flying games, boring ! unless there action ones i havent seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by Placebo
    the part when mario gets feather in super mario world, i fly like the wind and then stamp to the ground, its great.

Yes, that was rather fun, not a fan of flying games either me, but pilot wings was just plain old brilliant. I liked the flying in diddy kong racing too.

Advertisement