Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive Temperatures

• 02-01-2004 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Im using Active SMART to monitor my hard drive temperatures.

Im wondering what temperature should the drive never go above. When my system is under load for over an hour or so i think it gets up to about 28'C, i think. Its a WD Raptor.

Does anyone know of a better program for monitoring SMART?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

I dont think 28C with a WD Raptor 10,000rpm Hdd is gona cause any problems.

Operating Temperature is between 5 & 55C

Heres the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

As for temp sensor I would stay away from software based and get a standard temp sensor with a display, stick it under the hdd and measure the temps

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Thanks, forgot all about the spec sheet. I wouldn't be letting my drive anywhere near 55'C cos the MTBF will be less than 1,200,000 hours.

Is SMART not accurate, why would ya stay away from it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Dempsey
    1,200,000 hours

LOL a mere 137 years ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

I've 3 maxtor 6E040L0s in different machines around the house.

One is in the server which is on all the time, and runs around 30C - just checked it.

Just starting up my games machine, HD0 reports 19C at startup and normally reaches ~around~ 30C during extended use.

Finally the machine I'm using here, is reporting 63C (the spec for that drive is 5-55C), and it can go into the 70s if the room temperature is particularly warm. This is in a low profile aluminium case, and I've done everything to maximise the airflow in it, round IDE/FDD cables etc. carefully routed, and the sys temp reports 20C - machines been on since 11 this morning and in use. But when the machine starts, the HD immediately reports a temperature of 48C, so I'm honestly thinking that SMART is misreporting the drive temp here.

I'd normally be in a panic about it, but I reckon there's a delta factor of 29C (48C-19C), so 63C-29C = 34C, which sounds more normal. Of course I could be wrong and the drive will melt soon :(

BTW: I've tried 3 different SMART monitoring apps, including ActiveSMART, and they all concur.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

63'C, put your hand on the drive or use a temperature probe. a bearing could be damaged on the spindle causing heat like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

WOW my Seagate reaches 46C; going to afto do something about it it's far higher then eveyone else here:dunno:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mr-scooby

It all depends on how the drive is mounted. Despite how p.c manufacturers install them, drives are designed to be mounted horizontally and never vertically due to bearing wear in one spot instead of evenly . Can you imagine flying concorde at hedge height ? because thats what the head is equivilent to doing on that disk surface and if them bearings wear and start vibrating you'll get overheating and then disk failure. Iv'e seen it happen and Seagate & maxtor would verify this.
    software temp is quite accurate but bear in mind the amount of dust that can gather inside a case and that affects the temp sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

My Seagate 7200.7 drives are at 33 deg C ...I have a fan that i could turn on for my HD's but its off for noise reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 End_Item

I have three maxtor drives in, they are normally running around 30' C but have seen them go higher, never gave any trouble though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement