Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDowell closes Spike and Curragh jails

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Redleslie

Originally posted by capistrano
    You're comparing apples with oranges. The figures I gave are the cost of keeping one prionser for a year in Ireland and in the USA. You're figures seem to be the cost per taxpayer of supporting the entire prison service.
    Yes that's right. For someone who's going on about privatisation, it's strange that you don't seem to be able to grasp the basic fundamentals of economics, namely that mass production results in lower unit costs. The product in the case of privatised prisons is the prisoner.
    And when you bear in mind that the USA imprisons a much higher proportion of theire population then the difference in the costs of the prison service seems very small.
    It wasn't always so. There are 5 times more prisoners now in the US than there were 30 years ago. Reflect on that for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Two are to close permanently: The Curragh will shut on January 19 and Fort Mitchell, on Spike Island in County Cork, will close on January 31.
    These are the two smallest and presumably least efficient in the service. They were even thinking of building a €10m bridge to Spike Island to cut down on costs.
    Originally posted by dahamsta
    Here's what Victor specifically asked about
    No I didn't, no one saw me do, I didn't do nothin'

Advertisement