Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who should United buy?

• 02-01-2004 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Well,the transfer window has opened and I would like to know who you would like to see Man Utd buy and who you think that they will buy.Some players who have been linked:Louis Saha,Alan Smith,Liam Miller,Arjen Robben,Kezman and Van Buyten.Fire away!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Wow,wonder where you got the idea for this

United have been linked to every player thats playing well or is scoring goals.

I dont think Saha is good enough for United

Smith is'nt needed,to much of a hot head at times

Celtic,if they have any sense wont let Miller go

Hav'nt heard of Robben so can't comment

Kezman would be a good buy,but would'nt he be club tied for the CL

van B,would be a good solid buy,but they dont really need him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

Robben is the next big thing, 19 and world class one day without doubt, more a midfielder come forward than an out an out striker, been in holland till recently so have seen PSV quite a bit!

As a supporter i would say only buy somebody that is good enough and not a stop gap. Rio's ban will determine who we buy, obviously a striker anyway but don't be surprised if we never heard of him or barely know anything about him. ferguson is famous for it!

If i could have anybody who has been linked i would go for Smith, because he is running Leeds Utd on his own with guts and sheer loyalty. he has been bill in midfield for them, chasing all day long but will a die hard leeds man come to bitter rivals i think not!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

they will need to get a good solid striker . Saha would be a good buy for united if he was to gel with the team. united were great up forward and then solskjaer got injured they had to put up midfielders to a forward position . They need at least a backup for RVN if he gets injured. If he gets injured who do we have to put up forward .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I agree smith would be a typical united player with that edge that fergie obviously likes and rival supporters loathe. Viduka is also a player I rate highly and if a replacement for RVN should he get injured is what Fergie is looking for i think he is the player most like RUUD. Its not that long ago that the foregin clubs were repotedly offering hugh money for him so he could be a snip at 5m.

I have read a bit on robben since he was mentioned and he is very highly rated but is not the finished article yet and I would not be sure he could replace ruud should the unthinkable happen.

IMO Utd need to bring in someone to replace Rio, Van buyten seem to be the one getting the most media but I read somwhere ethat he's a bit slow. Mexes and Kezman are also linked but I think it depends on how Browns health really is , if Fergie thinks he will last the rest of the season he may not buy a defender and for that matter with Ole back in full training he may not buy at all until the summer.

BTW nice Squeezbox Brian , do you play?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

take a look. its about united bringing robben to manchester to have talks

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1117626,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Could be a good move that. I know hes cup-tied from the Champions League but it allows him to get used to life in england playing against the likes of Wolves etc while Ruud gets a break to concentrate on the likes of Real Madrid.

Will be a pity Utd are going to lose Ronaldo for 3 weeks but hopefully he'll come back from holiday fresh and ready for the championship run in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Smith is a piece of piss and i dont want him anywere near United. We need someone who can score goals and i dont like Vidukas work rate at all. Saha is the only player playing in the premiership that i would consider but i dont think we will get him now with Fulham doing so well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by kmart6
    Celtic,if they have any sense wont let Miller go
    If Miller wants to go, Celtic have no choice. He is out of contract in the summer so United should get him for a decent price at the moment.

I read today that Kanoute is unhappy at Spurs because they don't like his decision to play for Mali and he is in the best form out of all the players linked.
    He got a hattrick today too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by phenom
    they will need to get a good solid striker . Saha would be a good buy for united if he was to gel with the team. united were great up forward and then solskjaer got injured they had to put up midfielders to a forward position . They need at least a backup for RVN if he gets injured. If he gets injured who do we have to put up forward .

United will not buy Saha because the manager of Fulham said that he will not leave Saha go from the team bcoz he is running it on his own, in the forwards.

Also I do not think Viduka would be a good player for United after what he did to Reid in the tunnel.

It would be a good buy for United to get someone off Leeds after what the chairman said about "anyone who is not willing to play should get out of the club".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

united dont need any more players their alrady a perfect team in every way.
    Ruud van nistelrooy is to strong a player to get injured it wont happen. (it happend while he was at psv but not while at united it wont ).smith may be the biggest leeds fan but deep down arent we all united fans i mean if he didnt want to go to united he needs his head examined.Any of the players mentioned are noth good enough for united's quality. MAN UTD RULE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I don't think Viduka would be a good buy. He seems to be only in it for himself.
    If Utd do get someone it probably won't be anyone mentioned. Ferguson usually pulls off a shock or too. I'm just surprised Samuel Eto'o hasn't been mentioned!?

Big Ears I'm afraid you're just delusional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm praying it's going to be Raul, just cause that'd be just great :)

Advertisement