Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTU For IOL Broadband

• 03-01-2004 1:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

This has probably been mentioned a million times here before - but unfortunately the min word size for searching here is 4!!

Does anybody know what the ideal MTU setting is for Ireland On Line Broadband (Eircom)? I'm using Mac OS X Panther 10.3.2 and a Speedstream DSL Router/Modem.

My connection works fine and there are no problems - I'm just curious to know if anyone has experimented with this setting and what the results were like.

Regards

Tinky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by tinky
    This has probably been mentioned a million times here before - but unfortunately the min word size for searching here is 4!!

Does anybody know what the ideal MTU setting is for Ireland On Line Broadband (Eircom)? I'm using Mac OS X Panther 10.3.2 and a Speedstream DSL Router/Modem.

My connection works fine and there are no problems - I'm just curious to know if anyone has experimented with this setting and what the results were like.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1292975#post1292975

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Excellent post - thanks a million Ripwave !!!!

Dont suppose you know the link for iol download statistics do ya !!:)

Tinky

Dont suppose you know the link for iol download statistics do ya !!:)
    There's a link to it from http://www.iol.ie/broadband/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

jesus this is a coincidence :) i've just come across http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-107 that link that told me how to fix my problem with SOME sites working, but others just not doing a damned thing!

anyway, off to bed :p

Daniel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

By the way it's not a good idea to alter the MTU on a Mac !

I guess I should have realised this to be honest but my mac is attached to a LAN before it connects to the net so altering the MTU on it made it invisible to everything else on the network and therefore could not authorise via the server.

In the words of a very famous man DOHHH !!!!!!

Tinky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I guess I should have realised this to be honest but my mac is attached to a LAN before it connects to the net so altering the MTU on it made it invisible to everything else on the network and therefore could not authorise via the server.

that doesnt seem to affect windows pcs, i've 2 XP Pro machines here, one is the gateway ... anyway, my network shares all seem to work ok, is that what you're talking about or is it a "login on any pc with these details" thingy you're talking about? :)

Daniel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

MTU* ->search :S think that works somewhat, well you found what ya wanted, might be of use to you in the future.

By the way it's not a good idea to alter the MTU on a Mac !

No - whatever your problem is, it has nothing to do with MTU.

Advertisement