Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIRCOM or EIRCOMIC

Options
  • 03-01-2004 3:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I’m writing this as regards the Internet connection to Eircom. Or rather should I say, the lack of connection to EIRCOMIC For as long as I can remember, they’re internet has been crap to say the least .I subscribed to the fee-paying Anytime account thinking that, I would get a better connection I was much mistaken. At first the problem of having to dial 2 or 3 times before getting connected was just bearable. The last while however, the problem has gotten progressively worse.

To the extent that it now takes any thing up to 10 tries before I get connected. Which most times leads to getting disconnected after about 2 minutes. Then I have to try a further 10 times to reconnect again. That was bad enough until NEW YEARS DAY. I was unable to connect at all. Even after trying repeatedly throughout the day.

Seeing that I pay 30 euro a month for Internet anytime. I expect a proper service for my money. As the saying goes “You get what you Pay For” but when it comes to EIRCOMIC “ You Pays Your Money You Takes Your Chances”.

I am a quite and patient person but this problem is getting ridicules. I don’t know if it’s because I live in the countryside, and EIRCOMIC just don’t care about its service here in the west. But it is an absolute disgrace that in 2004 we still have these problems. And worse, we put up with it. And from what I can see on the net I am not alone.

Surely a company of EIRCOMIC’S size can see what devastating effects bad press will have on it. Referral by satisfied customers has always been the best way of bring more sales to a company. On the flip side of that, word from dissatisfied customers spreads 10 times quicker. And from what I see on the net and hear from people, there are a lot of dissatisfied customers of EIRCOMIC out there. It would do EIRCOMIC good to take heed of they’re customers. And Stop fobbing us off with lame excuses like. It’s our modems and Pc’s that are the problem. It’s not, it’s you total attitude of pass the buck.

Mark my words EIRCOMIC if you do not sit up and take heed. Your days are numbered. It would do u well not take the wrath of the monster that is the Net upon yourself. Your customers will only take so much until they cry out NO MORE, WE WILL TAKE NO MORE.

The day is coming thank god, when you will no longer have the grip on the country that you have had for so long. When we will rise up in our mass and hammer home the last nail in your coffin. And I for one look forward to that day. When I get the net connect that I pay for and deserve to have.

As so do all my other fellow cyber comrades.

:(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Eircom don't care about publicity. They have a nice stranglehold on the Independent, so very few bad articles are published about them. Even the ones in the Times (and any that happen to get published in the Indo) are buried deep in the tech or business section, where your ordinary consumer doesn't look. For your majority anyway, there is no alternative. And eircom know it. Public rep is way down on their list of priorities.

Give us a list of what errors you're getting when you dial up, and we may be able to help. Regardless of what you might think, the majority of possible dial-up errors are on the customer side. That's not to say that a lot of errors aren't on the ISP side, but of all the possible dial-up error numbers, only a handful are ISP-side issues. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

You need to give us more details if you want help if you just want to rant as I suspect you do then the Ireland offline forum would suit you better.

Now what have you tried to resolve your problem? you don't say so I will assume nothing. It may infact be a problem with your modem or computer. Have you tried to dial into a different ISP to see if the same thing happens? If it is happening with another ISP then it's either your modem software/hardware the connecting cables or perhaps an issue with your line. When your talking on the phone do you hear lots of static or cracking if you do ring 1901 and tell them to fix it.

You state in your post about you being sick of being fobbed off by excuses but in my experience most connection problems are caused by the users own hardware.

BTW Welcome to Boards.

Red

Edit Sorry Seamus I wasn't echoing you I was typing when you posted:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Redshift
    Now what have you tried to resolve your problem? you don't say so I will assume nothing. It may infact be a problem with your modem or computer. Have you tried to dial into a different ISP to see if the same thing happens? If it is happening with another ISP then it's either your modem software/hardware the connecting cables or perhaps an issue with your line. When your talking on the phone do you hear lots of static or cracking if you do ring 1901 and tell them to fix it.

You state in your post about you being sick of being fobbed off by excuses but in my experience most connection problems are caused by the users own hardware.

I was going to comment, but there's nothing much to add to reshifts's post ;)

maybe if you've tried everything above, you could try an external modem or upgrade your line to Isdn which will eliminate the dial up problem. Eircom's network is the best in Ireland, its just you’re having problems connecting. It could possibly also be that at the time you were trying to connect, it was a busy time and everyone was online at that time. Maybe there is a limit of ports on your exchange.. I dunno if that could also be it. Do you have this problem at off *internet* peak times, IE, 7am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Me thinks eircomic is just venting. eircomic if you want to get the service you pay for then do something about it. Until you do, eircom will be happy to take the 30 quid off you every month.

If it does prove to be the line at fault then seek some (if not all) reimbursement of your subscription, as eircom should have known your line was unsuitable. Its reasonable to expect to have to try a couple of times at the busiest hours, but not every time.

Also, whats the deal with the site? I'm sure you'll be hearding from eircom's legal department once it gets popular, unless you start changing some content, including the copy right notice. Is it going to be a humour /eircom-sucks site?

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

If you are sending eircom a copy of your original post, you might want to run it through a spell checker and lower the tone a bit. I used to work there, and we got 5 of those rants a day. You rarely felt compelled to help the ones who just seem to want to vent.

If you're interested in getting it fixed, describe the problem and what equipment you have. If you're interested in telling eircom to **** off, just mail customer services saying what was wrong and then take your business elsewhere. That is the only way of getting a useless corporation's attention. At best, what you've written will end up printed on the wall to give people some light entertainment.

Sorry if that seems harsh, but I think you're going about this in the wrong way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Possible reasons.

Electric Fence ?
    Pairgain
    Crap Line
    Good Line but crap internal wiring in house
    Crap modem
    Crap PC

......Not all of which are Eircoms fault although I have seen 16.8k connections (from 56k modems which should have connected at over 40k) which were ALL Eircoms fault ..... in the west of course. At least they were constant 16.8k connections albeit unacceptably slow for 2003.

In the properties for the Internet connection click the option to log Modem connections and then post some data from the modemlog.txt file back in here in a few days for some proper help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 eircomic

Yes I know it sounds like I’m just ranting but can u blame me really. When you get examples like, Eircom ringing me to ask me if I would like to have Broad Band. Only for me to have to point out the fact that we can’t get DSL here where I live. They checked again and agreed with me. That doesn’t look good for a company.

I know all to well that getting peoples backs up doesn’t work but I’m just sick of the hold they have on the whole country that’s all. I think that compotation is good.

With my work I’ve installed loads of pc’s all over the west and set-up the net on them . I’ve ran the net speed test that’s available at Modem Test
    On a lot of them and the net speeds are bad. They don’t come anywhere near what they should be. And these are brand new pc’s just outta the box onto some times brand new installed lines.

I’m just p***** at the fact that Eircom would do better at getting its ordinary internet service running good before it heads out on the DSL road which is only available to a small few through out the country.

I’m not a young kid just out for a rant. I’m a grown adult that has been online since way back in the beginning in 1992 that’s just sick of it that’s all .
    Modem Test

Thanks all

Modem Test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

eircomic set up a petition on boards ill happly sign it then email eircom **** with the link to boards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Stick to technical issues please.. If you want to complain, head over to the ireland offline board.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

having a great laugh here in east point ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement