Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ticketmaster

Options
  • 03-01-2004 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

it such a pitty that tickmaster are so dam expensive these days i mean i cant aford to go to gigs anymore :( i mean for example metallica is over 60euro to get it thats 60 YOYOs how the fook can ppl aford that tbh:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Promoters and bands are innocent as well?

I remember a tale I heard about the Deftones a few years back. A certain promoter was interested in getting them over, but was told they wanted in the region of £45000 (pre €) to play, AND they wouldn't bring their own gear, so the venue had to have a decent in-house sound set-up. I'm told the only venue that suited was Vicar Street (capacity approx 1000).

So, before any other costs were taken into consideration (staff, security, tickets, promotion etc...), they would have to charge £45 A PERSON just to cover Deftones price.

And they haven't played here since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Crimson

still though all of most of the ticket money will go to ticketmaster ...... ooo how i hate them :(

Originally posted by Crimson
    still though all of most of the ticket money will go to ticketmaster ...... ooo how i hate them :(

Eh, no it won't. That's what they charge you a service charge for. Service chrge on one RHCP ticket through ticketmaster's website was €5 or so.

Promoters and bands. Thems the people you got your beef with.

Ticketmaster don't promote bands. They sell tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Crimson

dude still waht im trying to say is that they get most of the money that comes out of the cost !!!!

And what I'm saying is NO THEY DON'T!

Take the example I gave above. Add in security costs, staff for the venue, promotion and the like. Thats all money ticketmaster won't get. Now by your reckoning, they get most of the cost of a ticket, yes? So they'd have had to charge £100+ for that to happen in the case I mentioned. See something wrong with the picture?

I'm not saying ticketmaster aren't rip off bas*ards, I'm saying you're blaming the wrong people for the price of the ticket for Metallica. Metallica, Jim Aiken and the RDS are the people who are to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Reckless is perfectly right... It's mostly down to promoters and bands.
    MCD being a prime example or rip-off promoters.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

and now mcd have exclusive rights to Whelans and (most probably) The Village too. no more Emerald Promotions gigs in Whelans anymore........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Originally posted by nesthead
    and now mcd have exclusive rights to Whelans and (most probably) The Village too. no more Emerald Promotions gigs in Whelans anymore........
    You sure about that Whelans thing? Where'd you hear about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

The problem is mainly with the bands. MCD have Kris Kristofferson down for €45- €55 to play the Point, and them anoying little prats Busted down as €33.50 for the same venue. If you think about it who's more likely to never tour again Kris Kristofferson or Busted? The Metallica and RHCP thing, they are 1 day things not a headline act and 1 or 2 support acts so to me €60 seems worth it.

Advertisement