Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Question?

Options
  • 09-02-2000 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Athlon 600 or P3 600.
    Don't laugh, I'm only going using it for games, so which one. I know I shouldn't have to ask this question, but, like the video cards, I need to be 100% sure. It is after all, my (parents) money sunglasses.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Hello? sunglasses.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

hi

Go for the 600mhz one

Rofl sunglasses.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭BugBlaster

THE athlon one mate....
    In most 3Dmark tests they knock the socks off the pentium III
    ask anyone... oh you did... ummm yeah athlons the one. its the one im waiting for too. smile.gif
    mon sutty smile.gif
    u da man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

www.overclockers.co.uk , get a nice athlon on the cheap

Tnx 4 de site there Sonic & Tnx Bug 4 lettin me know. I just needed 2 be sure. Better sfe thn sorry, or something. nywy, the first letter key hs stopped working so I'll type this & only use it once. I prob would've gone 4 the thlon n-e-wey coz they're erm, less deer. Heh, see? told u i could do it sunglasses.gif

[This message has been edited by Steven (edited 09-02-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Just one piece of advice...Make sure it is a copper-mine athlon, the other is a piece of **** in comparison, although stil a decent chip

www.csn.ul.ie/~osiris

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You mean .18 Micron Copper Interconnect Athlons.

"CopperMine" is the core of the latest Pentium III's (And no copper in sight....)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

error: AMD incompatibility detected, exiting program.

The athlon might be the better chip on paper but games like quake 3 are more optimized for the p3. ie they run slightly faster on a p3 and you get to support Irish industry. Also the athlon chip might be cheaper but the motherboards are a lot more expensive and unstable and you have to get a 300 watt high quality power supply. So take that all into consideration, if you want. Thats my 2 cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

In theory since the Pentium 3 has special "3D" instructions it should way out-perform the athlon. The fact is no-one takes advantage of these instructions and the Pentium comes second on price AND performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i knew someone from athlon, bit of a git, i'd go for the intel

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

athlone = westmeath
    intel = kildare

athlone + intel = boggers

go for the home made jobbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

But Intel is in Leixlip which is basicly just a suburb of Dublin.

Umm.... SO its LESS bogger like.

ive overclocked my watch. it now tells the time 20% faster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

So does that mean you have an advantage over other players when playing? since your living in the future, your allready at red armour and railed me twice in the head. In the mean-time, Im only respawning.. Deadly!! I gotta set my watch!

eassy eric, its not that great, i have to have a 20 gallon water cooler to keep the thing running.
    but its true about the railgun.
    btw, where is the red armour?

Yup, but the Athlon has 3dNow (Which is used a fair bit) and 3dNow2 (Not used outside of 3dmark2000 as far as I've seen).

They don't run on BX boards. AMD 750/751 chipset or a hybrid AMD 750 and VIA.

Rambus does help with high speed graphics when you're dealing with High-res textures. Then it's bad latency isn't a prob. and it's bandwidth comes into it's own. Also the Hub architecture on the I820/40 helps keep the system from being clogged by providing multiple dedicated routes between some of the hardware.

Ps. Everyone knows you'd need to increase your armour voltage to use the rail gun twice in advanced reality mode...Sheesh...

I wasn't suggesting that the athlon runs on a bx board. That would disable the cross modulation feature.

I should've mentioned bout it being p@rt of @ g@tew@y system. No bo@rds necess@ry. I would've gone 4 the @thlon, but ure @ll @fter confusing me now. B@stids smile.gif. C@n't ye just give me @ str8 @nswer smile.gif? Just @ 1 word post next pleez. Yes or no?
    P.S. P@l@din, When I s@y one word, I me@n either the word yes, or the word no, No sm@rt@ss @nswers sunglasses.gif

• Advertisement

yes

no

yes

no?

*sigh* I s@w th@t coming @ mile @w@y sunglasses.gif

Yay, "A" buttons workin again, only needed a new keyboard sunglasses.gif

But, they are more stable, better overclockers. And you get to support the underdog.... smile.gif

If you get the latest BIOS for an Asus K7m it's grand. And it's a great motherboard feature wise, if a little more expensive than your average BX board.

And bear in mind most of the P-III Cu benchmarks nowadays are done on I820/40 RamBus systems. With Rambus sticks that would set you back the cost of a couple of CPU's. The boards themselves are nearly as expensive as Athlon boards.

Athlons trounce P-III Klamaths and Cu cores using SDRAM.

The only major incompatibility you have nowadays is having to use a Geforce card in AGP 1x mode. Though benchmarks have shown this not to be an issue.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 10-02-2000).]

Rambus actually slows the p3 down. If you look at a coppermine 500@750 on a bx board compared to an athlon 750 it will have better graphics performance and better quake3 performance

Can I take ure silence as a yes or have I somehow inadvertently locked out all relevant post only allowing spam and Ultra-Paladin-Spam in? sunglasses.gif

• Advertisement

Sssssssshhhh. Be quiet.

Yes/no u cant take that to be it. It means I know ure gonna get the athalon regardless of what anyone says. But not for a few years at the rate u seem to decide. It was the video card u asked about last week. The chip this week. If this continues , ram, bios, motherboard, monitor, mouse, keyboard, soundcard, modem. Thats another 7 weeks. Just close ure eyes, put a dart in an ad page for pc's, and BUY IT! It cant be worse than ure 15 fps and 300 ping one at present.

And as the monty python crew say: "we got spam, spam and more spam! Spam 'n sauseges, spam 'n eggs, spam 'n spam."
    smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Advertisement