Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic-v-Rangers(Scores)

• 03-01-2004 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

Have missed the first half,all I know is it's one-nil to celtic

Is anyone watching it?

Is it any good?

Who scored?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

Fairly intense like most of these games. Klos has been forced into a few good saves. Mostly Celtic in the first half, Rangers only briefly came to life when they went 1-0 down. Petrov scored with a diving header (went in via Klos's finger tips to one post then onto the other and in) after about 19 minutes following prolonged Celtic pressure.

Varga scores Celtics second after 59 minutes. Another great flick from Larsson which hit the post and was then turned out for a corner by the Rangers defence. The corner came in to the back post, Balde headed it square and Varga powered home from close range directly in front of goal.

Mols just flashed a shot past the post. Could have turned things around a bit.

As it stands, Rangers are being outfought, outpowered, and out-classed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

3-0

Great goal from Thompson

Direct from a free into the top right corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Men and Boys, no wonder Celtic are walking the League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

at least everyone got to see the real Bobo Baldé today. I still stick to my word that he is the best defender in Britain. Without a doubt he is the best header of the ball in Britain and I am just waiting to see if anyone disagree's. He is also extremely fast and totally underrated with the ball at his feet (what a long ball to Hartson today).

Thompson is guaranteed an England callup with todays performance but Sutton didn't impress. Sutton is a lot better up front than midfield.

The league is all but won already.

• Advertisement

A couple of utd mates of mine who watch celtic more than I do have been raving about balde for quite a while now. On the few times iI have seen him lately I have w been impressed, hope fergie's watching but he is cup tied for europe so would not be the short term answer.
    (what a long ball to Hartson today).

Phil Mitchell had a good game today.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    at least everyone got to see the real Bobo Baldé today. I still stick to my word that he is the best defender in Britain. Without a doubt he is the best header of the ball in Britain and I am just waiting to see if anyone disagree's.

So you expect someone to disagree? That would suggest there is quite alot of people out there who think ur talking out of ur arse. He is a decent defender and is being made look better by the donkeys around him. Mind you, he is excellent in the air. I would be off the opinion that Alan Shearer is that incy little bit better at heading the ball. All said, he had a good game. Best defender in Scotland, maybe, best defender in Britain, ur taking the piss!

I dont normally like watching Scottish football and its normally crap, yes including the old firm matches. Today was different however, there was some excellent football played and Celtic really did out class Rangers.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    So you expect someone to disagree? That would suggest there is quite alot of people out there who think ur talking out of ur arse.
    So you are the first person to disagree and the reason I knew someone would is because I posted about his ability already and I had a lot of critics because he plays in Scotland. Can you not give a normal reply without saying something like "talking out of ur arse"? You may disagree with me but there is no way I am talking out of my arse in saying he is the best header in Britain. you may have noticed that nearly every corner went to his head, he always knows exaclty where the ball is going to land. Please bring forward the day when Celtic will hopefully move to the premiership so he can show his real worth.

BTW from what you seen of him today what attributes does he lack that other centre halfs in Britain are better at?

To Be fair to JTG he is well qualified to recognise Donkeys when he sees them.:D

Does the hair pulling ever stop on this board?

Balde is a very good defender. He is certainly of the old-school type, big and very strong, imposing in the air and very aggressive. Strong tackler. Still don't like to see him taking too much time on the ball and playing about with it, but then there are few centre-backs I wouldn't say that of. And that's not what he is there for.

Then we have a great comparison where none can be made, who is the better in the air, Balde (a defender), or Shearer (a striker)? Well what exactly are they heading at?

And if ever there was a way to prove your ignorance then claiming the Old Firm games are usually crap was it. For sheer entertainment nothing consistently provides like when these two meet. Well, at least I'll know to take everything else you ever post with a bucket of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

To Be fair to JTG he is well qualified to recognise Donkeys when he sees them.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Tinky

Originally posted by bugler
    Does the hair pulling ever stop on this board?

Still don't like to see him taking too much time on the ball and playing about with it,

Nope,the hair pulling never stops here its 24/7 365

Ah that really reminds me of Silvestre on many an occasion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Come on Celtic 11 point clear and I think the SPL is going to Park Head.

Ah dont think my friend

It's a certainty,they have the league wrapped up

They should consintrate on keeping this wimming strek going all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

No one will ever (Balde included) be regarded as the best defender in Britain by playing in Scotland. He needs a real test. Its all very well playing well against a poor Rangers side but how would he cope against a top class strike force? No one really knows the answer so for that reason alone he can't be called the best in Britain.

Also he does make his errors and it was his stupidity that cost Celtic their champions league place if we're being honest.

Originally posted by James R
    Also he does make his errors and it was his stupidity that cost Celtic their champions league place if we're being honest.
    That is another I have been hearing recently, every bloody centre half in the world makes mistakes and against Rangers (who can't be THAT bad if they beat Stuttgart who are flying in the German league) he didn't make a single mistake. Cambell was sent off at the start of the season, Ferdinand played shyte against Stuttgart, No central defender is 100% consistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

ive always thought since amoruso and ferguson went, we would see the collapse of rangers. at home, they have fanatical support which gets them through most matches. away, they now struggle to sides and no longer can control matches like celtic can.

the league is over, finished, celtic are the champions. o'neill and the players will say theres a long way to go etc etc... its all rubbish, they know as well as we do its over now.

as for balde, i agree he is very poor with the ball at his feet and in a team like manu or madrid he'd struggle simply because everyone gets so much of the ball. at a team like celtic, birmingham, liverpool, blackburn, somewhere along those lines he'll do well because all defenders have to do is defend and move up for the odd set play.

Originally posted by smemon
    as for balde, i agree he is very poor with the ball at his feet
    I think he just tries to do too much, he is no worse than anyone else with the ball. Against Rangers yesterday he had the ball but there was nobody up forward and he was under pressure, while most defenders would just wack it up the field, he took it around the Rangers player and passed it. He got away with it but it was very risky. He still has about 5-6 years left in him and defenders only get better with age. People just assume because he is a big man he is going to be sloppy.

I don.t watch celtic very often but on the two occasion I have seen them Lately, yesterday and against Lyon in the CL Balde has looked a good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Originally posted by smemon
    ive always thought since amoruso and ferguson went, we would see the collapse of rangers. at home, they have fanatical support which gets them through most matches. away, they now struggle to sides and no longer can control matches like celtic can.

the league is over, finished, celtic are the champions. o'neill and the players will say theres a long way to go etc etc... its all rubbish, they know as well as we do its over now.

Its actually quiet bizarre just how far Rangers have fallen!

I seriously think at this stage that Dunfermline and Hearts may end up giving them a real run for second place this year as away from home in recent times they have proven to be very vunerable indeed!

As for Celtic are concerned I just hope they can go one better and actually bring home a european trophy this year.
    It would be a great way for O Neill and Larsson to say goobye........the one fly in that ointment is the fact that Valencia are in the uefa cup this year and are going well in the Spanish league!
    :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I wouldn't mind rangers beating Stuttgart it was a big european night in Ibrox (the first in a long while) so it shouldn't have been too hard for the Rangers boys to be up for it.

I'll admit Balde has certain potential but until he plays against the best strikeforces week in, week out (and lets face it Rangers are weak up front, Mols was never the same player since he was injured in Holland a few years back) then he can never be considered best in Britain.

Advertisement