Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What composition are you currently listening to?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Puccini- La Rondine
    Gheorghiu/ Alagna
    LSO/ Pappano

A glorious recording of a wonderful opera. Lovely way to spend a saturday evening.

Mahler Symphony No.1
    The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra/ Bernard Haitink

Going to try to get through the complete Mahler Symphonies in order this week. 'tis a while since I sat down and listened to them properly.

Today is going to be a difficult day- mentally, emotionally and physically. I am steeling myself for an experience that I know I will mull over time and again in the coming months. So I am listening to a piece that I always listen to when things get difficult- the Liebestod from Wagners' Tristan Und Isolde. An absolutely sublime piece of music.

Anyway, I have listened to two recordings of it this morning in an effort to steel myself for today:

1952/ Bayreuth/ Von Karajan- Martha Modl as Isolde
    and
    1975/ Bayreuth/ Kleiber- Catarina Ligendza as Isolde

Truly sublime music. If this doesn't get me through today, nothing will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Beethoven's piano concertos 1-5, with Murray Perahia on piano, conducted by Bernard Haitink.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

beethoven's 9th symphony; an old favorite.

2nd movemnt on repeat :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

John Cage's Sonatas for Prepared Piano. An acquired taste but a firm favourite of mine.

Tchaikovskys' 6th Symphony, performed as part of the BBC proms. being broadcast on BBC2 TV.

Gidon Kremer was the solo violin in a performance of the Shostakovich First violin concerto earlier.

Glorious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fractal

Furtwangler/I can't remember the orchestra, but it's the big famous 1950s recording of Tristan und Isolde. Dietrich Fischer Dieskau is in it, I think. 4 discs on Naxos and about €20 cheaper than most other recordings, tee hee! Can't seem to work past disc 2 though, sheer sensory overload.

fractal wrote:
    Furtwangler/I can't remember the orchestra, but it's the big famous 1950s recording of Tristan und Isolde. Dietrich Fischer Dieskau is in it, I think. 4 discs on Naxos and about €20 cheaper than most other recordings, tee hee! Can't seem to work past disc 2 though, sheer sensory overload.

I have a copy of the one I think you're talking about:
    Rhoderick Davies, baritone / Edgar Evans, tenor / Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, baritone / Kirsten Flagstad, soprano / Josef Greindl, bass / Rudolf Schock, tenor / Ludwig Suthaus, tenor / Blanche Thebom, mezzo-soprano
    Royal Opera House Chorus, Covent Garden
    Philharmonia Orchestra
    Wilhelm Furtwangler, conductor
    Recorded: 10-21 and 23 June 1952
    Mark Obert-Thorn, producer and audio restoration engineer

Truly glorious recording. The other good label that you get great value historical Opera recordings on is Opera D'Oro- they seem to be making their way over to Europe, but they're all over the US. Got a couple of nice Tristans on this label as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭rom1

"Transcriptions pour choeur d'oeuvres de Bach, Berg, Chopin, Ravel..." by Accentus

Amazon Link

• Advertisement

Mozart/ La Clemenza di Tito
    Bartoli/ Heilmann/ Jones/ Montague/ Cachemaille/ Bonney

The Academy of Ancient Music Orchestra & Chorus/ Hogwood

Glorious stuff.

Shostakovich Jazz Suite No. 2 (Suite for Promenade Orchestra)

from "Shostakovich- The Jazz Album" Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra/ Riccardo Chailly (Decca)

Great undemanding Sunday night listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

Beethovens Seventh Symphony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Rachmaninov

Piano Concerto - 1

Vivance
    Andante
    Allegro Vivance

Advertisement