Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi DVD Burner +R - R €130

• 03-01-2004 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Details Here . In Thursday.

Write speeds:
    16 x CD-R,
    4 x DVD-R,
    4 x DVD+R.

Re-write speeds:
    10 x CD-RW,
    2 x DVD-RW,
    24 x DVD+RW.

Read speeds:
    12 x DVD,
    32 x CD.

Comes complete with DVD copy, DVD recorder, DVD creator and discmaster software, one blank DVD and installation cable.

Not bad as there is no delivery charge . I never had a problem with thier Medion branded stuff it is mid market stuff on the whole.

Aslo doing external USB 2 HDD €170 for 160Gb next week.

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I wonder is it a rebranded mainstream burner ... I know LiteOn are very fond of rebranding ... anyone know if its own made or rebranded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I don't care tbh, at that price it's worth it either way loike.

/me sets up tent outside aldi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Just as a btw, komplett have a MSI dvd+r & dvd-r writer (4x) retail package for €121..... Here (click twice on link).

The MSI looks to have faster read & write speeds on normal cd's..... although its not a drastic ammount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭adeypius

think it might be a rebranded pioneer 106

seen on other sites patches to unlock dvd burners in medion computers, burners that were 106s

it looks like one from the picture
    its worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jacksonflam

that's a pioneer 106 alright i'll wage...the faceplate layout is identical to the one i'm looking at right now...that's good dealing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If that actually is a pioneer 106/A06, I'll be picking one up on thursday. Bit of a pisser that I'm working a 12 hour night shift on wednesday though, only finishing 8 am. Then a 45 minute commute to the nearest aldi. Hopefully I won't fall asleep on the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

If that is a pioneer 106 (rebranded) , then thats a great deal....... I have so much respect for pioneer drives. Would definetly pick this one up over the MSI one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A bit of googling shows that this is indeed a Pioneer 106/A06 clone. And there are plenty of tools out there to flash it back to original pioneer firmware, and to make it region free etc. Aldi were selling them in Germany about 2/3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭violenza

This tread suggests that you can't upgrade the firmware, you might need to use babel fish to translate...any ideas???

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=82116&highlight=medion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sparky191

Thats a decent price. I wonder how many they'll have? What time does the Dublin Store open? Why would you need to update the firmware? What extra functionality does that give you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭adeypius

all questions should be answered here
    http://kickme.to/pioneerdvd

this tread relates to medion
    http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=19534&highlight=medion&sid=2768007d24e553522ec7327f2a8b942c

flashware for all makes
    http://flashman.rpc1.org

if you purchase one of these drive, read up on how to flash your drive properly
    dont be a muppet and end up with a dead drive

if you worried about flashing it - leave it alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sparky191

From a quick reading of that, the reason to flash the drive is to make it region free and also to allow it to work in Clone CD. Though I don't see where it explains what the problem with CloneCD is. I'd only be using it for data and using nero as the software. I assume there'd be no problems with that?

Most burning software interrogates the burner and gets a result back that tells it what sort or burner it is and what speeds it can do etc ..... if its a medion badged firmware that the software may not like, it may refuse to work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by BigEejit
    Most burning software interrogates the burner and gets a result back that tells it what sort or burner it is and what speeds it can do etc ..... if its a medion badged firmware that the software may not like, it may refuse to work...

But theres an equally likelyhood that nero will work fine with this drive? I'd say medion would be a popular enough to warrant Nero having support for it.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    But theres an equally likelyhood that nero will work fine with this drive? I'd say medion would be a popular enough to warrant Nero having support for it.
    I suppose that if enough people hassle Ahead they will provide support, they (the burner software companies) release regular updates that provide support for new burners .... I think its all a matter or time, the Medion firmware will (er, should might be a better word) be the same as the official Pioneer firmware so there shouldnt be a big headache for Ahead to do it...:confused:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, that's not bad! If you're PC is plain coloured, you can order a plain fascia free of charge. Plus it has a 3 year warranty!

Is the supplied software any good?

All I need now is somebody to go to Letterkenny for meh on Thursday. Pity it wasn't Lidl doing this offer as it's near me. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just to let anyone going to the UK. The burner is on offer for 79.99 sterling... thats about 115 euro. (Aldi of course)

€15 saving...
    Gonna get one in Belfast if I can!

ambrose :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Medion is a german brand.Nero is german.Medion dvd-r(w) drives work with Nero. :D

CARB.

Advertisement