Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messed up PC with Partition Magic

Options
  • 03-01-2004 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

I had win 98 on the C: Drive, and Windows 2000 Fat32 on the D: Drive.
    I used Partition Magic to delete the C: drive partition, and i extended the windows 2000 partition over the free space of the deleted C: drive. I then made this an Active partition, and I also changed it from a logical drive to a primary partition.

The problem is that Windows 2000 won't boot now.
    First it was giving an error "Invalid System Disk". I messed about with it a little, by booting from floppy, then running "sys c:" which now makes the windows 2000 partition bootable, but obviously only for win9x.

How can i make windows 2000 boot up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Try using the recovery console and fixing the MBR(Master Boot Record), you can get this by using dos -> /fixmbr(?) I think is the cmd or using repair option in the Win2k install CD options.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So NT was on the second partition and now it's on the first one.

If you are getting a missing file error (HAL ?) then you should edit the BOOT.INI file

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

ntdetect.com
    ntldr
    boot.ini
    You'll also need to edit the boot.ini file to point at the first partition as stated earlier.
    But since the boot sector is probably not an NT/2k one you'll need to fix that also.
    You can do this by booting from the win2k install CD [Make sure you hit a key to boot from CD]
    Hit 'R' for repair then hit manual repair.
    You should be able to follow the instructions from here.
    You'll need to re-apply service pack 4 and also all the Post SP4 security fixes after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

ntdetect.com
    ntldr
    boot.ini

my guess is these were all on the c drive that you blanked

win2k was on the d drive, so even if you get it to boot it won't let you login unless its still on the d drive. unless you ran sysprep before you started this?

if all fails plug the hard drive into a mates pc, copy all the important stuff and format it (ntfs if you can), plug it back into your pc and boot from your win2k cd

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I managed to fix it.
    I ran the CD and choose repair, did a manual repair. Which allowed me to boot up windows 2000. As it was now on the C Drive, it wouldn't allow me to log in. So i did a search on support.microsoft.com, and they gave 5 ways to try and fix it. The first one i tried didn't work (run fdisk /mbr). The second option was to create another D: partition, which luckily i had unpartitioned space, and create a winnt\system32 file structure on it, and copy the file userinit.exe to it. Tried that and it work.

So when I got into Win2k, i edited the registry to fix the problem, and put windows 2000 back on the D: drive.

Oh, i did actually copy ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini off the C: drive before i wiped it. It was te boot sector that was gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement