Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for feedback and answers

Options
  • 04-01-2004 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi there.

I'd appreciate it if any of you out there would want to give me some feedback on a web site of mine:

http://www.ipctool.com/

Anything from design and grammar (English not being my first language) to feel and ease of use.

It's a web site for comparing prices on various products and services; at present only for telecom and Internet. Designed to be light and fast loading.

Also; I've included one of my own web sites in the comparion tables. Should I mention this? And should I use 'I' and 'me' and not 'we' and 'us'? Comments appreciated.

Thanks,
    Thomas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Nice idea, and it certainly is nice, quick and simple, well done. The only thing that struck me was that the important navigation looks a bit lost within the content. Simple CSS formatting (e.g. shading or bordering) would make it stand out much better.

It might be also worth while making the different sections available globally, as also might having a printer friendly option.

Good luck with it.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Originally posted by cgarvey
    The only thing that struck me was that the important navigation looks a bit lost within the content

It might be also worth while making the different sections available globally, as also might having a printer friendly option.
    I've made some improvements and added a Navigation block which is the same on all pages.

There's now a 'Printer friendly page' available linked to below the tables, you can try here:
    http://www.ipctool.com/broadband/index.html

The 'Printer friendly page' show the table only and URL's rather than company names (the URL to the company web site). Not all pages have a printer friendly option yet as it takes (me) ages! to make the table scripts printer friendly :)

I don't want to do all pages now if the solution is no good (yes, I'm lazy) and I've to come up with something else ;) When looking for a suitable way to make a printer friendly page (i.e. html to pdf) I noticed that I haven't been good at validating the HTML code. So, I'm working on that too.

Thanks for your feedback.

/T

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Much better.. and printer friendly a good idea.. I'd still push for a more "obvious" navigation area (common to all pages as it is now). This is especially important as your site has so little visual aids to denote navigation. I may be just picky though!!

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Damn pep thats a handy Broadband comparsion list

well done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

might be good to add in number of users that can share the connection / available bandwidth under a 'contention ratio' column?

BrianG

• Advertisement

Originally posted by cgarvey
    Much better.. and printer friendly a good idea.. I'd still push for a more "obvious" navigation area (common to all pages as it is now)
    I've added some common navigational links under the top logo; and now I don't know what to do with da box to da right... :D
    Originally posted by bizmark
    Damn pep thats a handy Broadband comparsion list

well done
    Thank you!
    Originally posted by DubWireless
    might be good to add in number of users that can share the connection / available bandwidth under a 'contention ratio' column?
    I have a table column initially meant for Invoicing fees. But since that's not something the Irish providers use it got 'Reserved' instead. So I could use it for Contention ratio.

Since all the information on IPCtool should be easily verifiable I guess such a column would be for wireless access products only. I can't remember having seen Eircom, IOL or UTV have anything on contention ratios (or do I need new goggles?), but it's a feature on the wireless products.

/T

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

iol esat netsource and Utv Radsl has a contention ratios of 48 : 1

i cant remember the adsl ratio of the top of my head though :rolleyes:

i think eircom and co adsl Contention ratios are 24 : 1

wirerless is 8 : 1

you should check them up just incase im wrong btw (its known to happen to offen lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Best of luck with your site.

I'd suggest removing the shading from the tables in printer friendly pages. Also, as these pages will be printed having your site address clearly displayed on them could be useful.

Links to other consumer information or price comparison sites would be beneficial to browsers and have the additional advantage of increasing traffic to IPC, if you can get these sites to link back to you.

What about adding a forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hi, cool idea for a site. It's great to see.

One suggestions is to try breakdown the information in a more useful way. Perhaps graphs, pie-charts & summaries would be useful in addition to the tables of data. making the information easily understood is half the battle I think.

www.edwardtufte.com has some examples of how to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

When looking for a suitable way to make a printer friendly page....

eh save yerself a shed load of work. If you're using css you shouldn't need to make any new pages at all as long as there reasonably well constructed in the first place. Just create a new style sheet for print media, which uses display:none for all those element you don't want to print and declare both the styles: one for print, the other for screen media

eg
    http://www.coillte.ie/about_coillte/coilltes_history.htm
    prints with no top or side or bottom stuff.
    Take a look under the bonnet for more or compare the

print css and the screen css
    which is called from a cookie in which there is the plain ole css call... link rel="stylesheet" href="../css/coillte2-screen.css" type="text/css" media="screen"

most printers i've used honour the media=print call

• Advertisement

Thanks all for your feedback. I'm working on the issues and will hopefully have something more presentable ready soon ;-)

/T

Advertisement