Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

looking for a used car

Options
  • 04-01-2004 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

As some of you know i had a focus that got robbed. Ive waited about 3 months and have been rallying a van form a-b to get me by untill i can find a good used car.

Where in gods name can i find one? ive trolled through cbg every 2 nights in hope that i can get one, but nothing meets the standard i am looking for, or what anyone really looks for.

Im in the market fora civic or focus, 1.4, with 0-20k miles on the clock. Now i have seen a few civics but the details have to be utter tripe.

For example, if you look on cbg you will find a 97 civic with a body kit (that alone says im not getting it) with '20k' on the clock.

Its blatent that there are no real milage cars that are out there. Just because a car is a 2002 some people believe that it is worth about 3k off the cost price... although it has 80k on the clock and in the pic its covered in muck.

The least the person can do is clean it up and make it look respectable.

What am i to do? Are all the good bloody cars gone?

Im 20 and i live in a respectable area, insurance is bad, but i can cope with it... so im not in lookin for a 1.6+ ltr engine.

I was at one point going to get a new citroen c2 for 14000, with the sport trim and what not - smashing car imo... but its all gone with the triptronic gear box, so thats useless. Im not a fan of citroens, and afaik they are pritty pants(no offence to citroen drivers).

Can someone help me out? the only civic worth lookin at is a 99 with 6k on the clock (legit) but its automatic.

Thanks

reD.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You should also try your local classifieds paper or www.buyandsell.net and God knows how many more there are.

Did ya try any car dealers? I know they can be rip-off merchants but worth a try none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Whats ur budget?

Try motornet.ie. Its not as good as cbg.ie but it will give you a different selection.

How do you feel about the nissan almera(2000 on) Its a larger engine but the insurance is actually cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did you get your money sorted from the last one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

yea i did victor - their cocks shrivled when my dad mentioned the court room :)

Cheers lads, ill have a look in them sites! btw the budget is 14k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

good site that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Also try www.carzone.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Coming up to Christmas is not a great time to be buying a car as many people who are trading in for a brand new car will wait for the 04 reg.
    So, you should see a lot more cars on the 2nd hand market in the next 2-3 weeks.

Also, regards the auto, I wouldn't bother personally. Although they are great for city driving, you'll pay a lot more in fuel plus they don't tend to last as long as a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,363 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Kananga
    they don't tend to last as long as a manual.

Where did you get the info from, Kananga? I always thought it was the opposite, seeing as you can't make any gear-changing mistakes or abuse the engine in an automatic car.

Fuel consumption on a modern automatic (5 or 6 speed) should be almost the same as petrol. On the one hand the automatic car is slighly heavier. On the other hand the automatic transmission should be able to make more efficient gear changes than a manual driver would make

Also some very recent automatic cars reportedly accelerate faster than the manual version because they take maximum benefit of the car's torgue curve, which has been programmed into the electronics

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm in the market for the same sort of car, been looking for a decent one for about 3 months now and cant find a single decent car, i've been to all the dealers around and everything, not a stitch of look, so gonna see about getting a brand new car now, have sorted out an interest free loan with the parents, :D

theres loads a magazines out there, autotrader, CBG, Motormarket, buyandsell, and all the classifieds in local papers, should be alot of second hand cars in dealerships over the next few weeks too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

I know how you feel! I am just dying to buy the new shape clio - I have the old shape! Anyone know any other sites i can look up. I tried cbg, buy+sell, carzone, motornet.ie? Any help anyone can give me?
    Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by red_ice
    yea i did victor - their cocks shrivled when my dad mentioned the court room :)
    Ridiculous that legal action should even have to be mentioned. Next time buy from a reputable dealer reddy :)

Advertisement