Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

humming noise through the speakers?!

• 04-01-2004 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have this uber-annoying problem with my computer.. Whenever I stop playing music or anything I get this seint humming, which fluctuates as I do stuff. For example I take the mouse and then do some typing, the humming changes in pitch slightly.

It stops immediately when I start playing some mp3s (at a volume lower than that of the hum, so as not to swallow the sound)

Im on the nforce 2 with reasonably good 5.1 speakers. I also have the latest drivers. Anyone else ever have this problem? Can anyone think of a solution, or cause even?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are you sure its speaker hum? I mention that because sometimes the PC case can "hum" which is really very subtle vibration. There is no earthly reason why speaker hum should alter with the click of a mouse/keyboard...:confused:

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Weird
    High or low pitched humming ?

If it's high pitched moving will change it - eg: truning your head..

Try a set of head phones to determine if it's the PC or the Speakers ?

A phone directory on the case can help damp it's humming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Try getting the volume settings on your computer,
    either by clicking the speaker symbol on the task bar or comtrol panel/sounds & audio.

You should see the volume controls for wave\cd audio\line in\mic
    and select mute for the mic or line in, maybe this will solve it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A dodgy analogue audio cable from a CDROM caused this problem for me in the past. Muting the CDROM audio was a workaround.

Advertisement