Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yeovil Town - Liverpool (warning may contain traces of goals)

• 04-01-2004 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

0-0 at half-time.

Home side have played some very good neat football while the Pool have passed about without showing any flair in the last third...the mist is turning into fog as well.

Hopfully extra fitness will make the difference for Liverpool.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well it would be a bit of a humiliation if they did'nt win now would'nt it

Diouf is some diving b***ard,thank god he got booked

The weather is crap they'll probally have to use one of those illuminous balls:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Houllier really has to go if they can't beat Yeovil. I mean, he has had more than enough time and opportunity since Evans was deposed, and really all they have done is wallow in mediocrity. Don't get rid of him for the sake of doing something, by all means let him stay until you get a world class replacement lined to to take over, but God if they let a formerly great team like Liverpool continue this decline, you really could be looking at first division football in two years.

And, more relevant to todays match, Yeovil really are playing well under what pressure Liverpool can muster. Liverpool have been better through the second half, but hardly convincing in asserting what should be the chasm of quality between a Premiership team and a 3rd division team.

Even a draw simply isn't good enough, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

i was hoping the difference would be that as Liverpool are a premiership side and they *have* world class players.. but as long as GH is manager - Yeovil have a chance.. :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

im writing this with another 23mins to go ..... thats a long time in football... but wats impressing me is that yeovil are giving as good as there getting but then agian this is the fa cup ne thing can happen !

but liverpol loking at 1st divsion football in 2 years time NO CHANCE!!!!!!

it amazes me that liverpool have never sacked a manager , they aint goin start with now

btw 1 nill just now asd i finshed this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

god dam diving diouf give him an oscar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeovil Town 0 - 2 Liverpool

Well it turned out alright. Yeovil lost thier energy and it took Heskey coming on to make the 'pool attack click..he showed much more movement than Pongolle who I think is happier as "second striker" rather than leading the line...

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

and dont forget yeovil were a conferece side this time last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A stumbling stuttering performance. Just got away with it. kept the ball a lot better in the second half thank god. Before that Yeovil were playing really well. they deserved at least a goal but Dudek made a great save. Henchoz as good as it is to see him back doesnt really give us much attacking up the right ;)

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    Henchoz as good as it is to see him back doesnt really give us much attacking up the right ;)

Well he was only there as the alternative to Diao (come back Marcus Babble!)

Mike.

give Otstemy baby a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Once again liverpool cheat their way through a cup competition.
    At least Schmichel (sp?) had the courage of his convictions (on BBC) to actually speak his mind and not hold back like the other three puppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

When's Finnan back?

LFC were sh*t in the first half, Yeovil definately played with more passion and professionalism (I s'pose they'd more to gain). I thought Heskey coming on made a big difference:eek: - LFC looked like a different team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I thought Heskey coming on made a big difference - LFC looked like a different team.

I agree looks like Heskey has finally found his level.:D

Poor form the pool had to cheat to finish the mighty Yeovil off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I must say Kewell's dive was one of the worst I've ever seen. There wasn't even a tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I agree looks like Heskey has finally found his level.:D

Good one. Poor old Heskey.

Anyway, I wouldn't exactly be "shaking in my boots" at drawing Liverpool in the next round, judging by that performance. However, Liverpool never had to get out of 3rd gear, and I think, regardless of what people say, thay had a lot left in reserve, if they needed it.

Having said that, I think the penalty was a disgrace, as was Diouf's diving. I thought the 6'8" fella, Hugo Rodrigues, was probably man of the match, but the crowd were hilarious. If only every crowd was more of that, and less of the prawn sandwidches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Originally posted by Sarge

it amazes me that liverpool have never sacked a manager , they aint goin start with now

Was Souness not sacked? and Evans to a certain degree!?

Anyway even if i'm wrong about those 2 they still sack managers just not in so many words. Forcing someone to resign is as good as a sacking really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Des Cahill reporting on Morning Ireland:

Rodrieguez (Yeovil defender , big guy) speaking to Kewell after penalty award:

"I never touched you!"

Kewell in reply:

"Yeah I know mate but thats football"

Apparently Kewell could be in bother.

A storm in a teacup! If you zoom closely in (110x is suitable) you can see that there is indeed contact! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mr Grumpy

I was sent the following by a friend who is a Liverpool supporter who couldn't believe he'd received it. He laughed in disbelief - I just laughed.
    :)

To: ************* Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 12:04:26 +0100
    Subject: FW: My players can be very proud of themselves

Can you believe this ???

Is he for real ???

Is he 'George W. Bush' in disguise ???

What a t*sser!

Original Message
    From: g.houllier@liverpoolfc.tv [g.houllier@liverpoolfc.tv]
    Sent: 05 January 2004 09:59
    To: Liverpool FC Fan List
    Subject: My players can be very proud of themselves

Dear Liverpool supporter,

My players can be very proud of themselves. We knew this would be a
    difficult cup tie and that Yeovil would be up for it, but we approached
    the game in the right manner and I thought we deserved our victory. The
    way in which we went about the match was magnificent. We wanted to get
    into the fourth round and we did it.

We were strong when we needed to be, we remained composed throughout and
    our attitude was spot on. I can understand now why Yeovil are renowned
    giant killers and I can see why teams can lose here if they don't
    prepare properly.

I knew there would be times when they would raise their game and play at
    the same level as us, but I also felt it would just be a matter of time
    before we got the goal. Our second half performance was very good and I
    think we deserved to go through. Credit to Gary Johnson and his Yeovil
    team though because they played well.

Emile has a good scoring record in this competition and he took his goal
    well today. When you bring a striker on from the bench, he is often 20
    per cent fresher than the rest of the players and that can make the
    difference. Vladi hit the post and we had some other chances as well. I
    thought we could have scored more goals actually but Yeovil must be
    proud of their performance. They gave us a hard game. We were expecting
    that and fortunately the game went the way we would have hoped.

Regards,

Gerard Houllier
    Liverpool Manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Liverpool where very average against a side who have just came up from non league football . Newcastle will show them up for what they are and I agree Heskey has finally found his level

Mr. Grumpy I saw that myself last night on the LFC webby and nearly choked on me pot noodle! Im all for defending your team and players but cmon he unfortunatly has lost his grip on reality lately :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

@Dr.Dre - hansen , lineker and lawrensen said Kewell & Diouf dived, so you're mistaken in saying only Schmeichel had to courage to say so... Lawrensen attacked Houllier and the team more than anyone else on the panel...

I was disappointed to see that Kewell had dived, although my first impression was that it was a penalty - expected it of that twat Diouf who is a disgrace to the number 9 jersey. Lets be honest though - RVN as well as plenty of others do the same week in week out, it should be stamped out all the same.

Liverpool played dreadfully overall, a replay and a good performance would have been preferable to 2 nil and being made look like the 3rd division side for half the match.

It was painful to hear Houllier pronouncing before the match that our poor league position is due to injuries, in other words completely out of his hands, nothing to do with inept tactics and piss poor purchases then...:rolleyes:

As for the 4th round, Newcastle don't have a great record at Anfield and aren't exactly on fire at the moment either, so I'd imagine Liverpool will progress to the next round - hopefully this will be Houlliers last FA cup campaign as liverpool manager though...

I'd be confident of beating Newcastle! No really Liverpool need the be faced with quality to play at thier best. Its the minnows they wont/cant bother thier arses about...

Mike.

kdevitte
    RVN as well as plenty of others do the same week in week out, it should be stamped out all the same.

When is the last time you saw RVN taking a dive? I agree with you that some players dive on a regular basis but its a long time since I saw Ruud do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

wasn't clear in what I meant - I meant premiership strikers dive week in week out, as you said RVN has been known to dive - but i didn't mean he does it every week (maybe every fortnight though :cool: )

There just seems like a bit of a furore here over Kewell when imho diving has become common place at every single club in the league, and there is far more to worry about at Liverpool than diving - we were just as average against Yeovil as we've been for the last 18 months against most opposition unfortunately, and despite my pre-season optimism, I don't think it'll be sorted anytime soon...

A red card for ANYONE guilty of diving would soon sort it out but as the refs are being conned into giving pens I agree with you that it is unlikely anything can be done on the short term.

As for liverpools problems while some of their players are not as good as one would expect they have had more than their fair share of injuries to importants players TBH, I believe they will be at full strength in a month or so and it will be interesting to see how they finish the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

liverpool were so freaking depressing to watch,like i only had a few drinks the night before but watching them pathetically squander posession and play with the imagination of a dead pidgeon really annoyed me.
    el crappy diouf should be shot,but he would only be leading a long line of useless gimps out of anfield,obviously houllier should be driving that bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Has Comical Ali been touted as the new Liverpool manager ? he may be slightly more believable than what Houllier comes up with =)

• Advertisement

There is no lack of creativity in Liverpool. The infidels are feeding you with their lies!

Gerrard has injured himself in training and will now also be out of tomorrows game. He _may_ be back for Saturday... :/

Advertisement