Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this really 'broadband'?

• 04-01-2004 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

With connection rates of 40kbps to 60kbps, I am starting to wonder if what we are getting here is really 'broadband'!

In the US of A, connection speeds are normally between 512kbps to 2000 kbps (cable), and story is same in most other places too. May be its time communities like IrelandOffline and other agencies wake up and start protesting against this pathetic excuse of a broadband!

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Let me be the 1st to say ure problably going to get a slating for saying that Ireland Offline should wake up.. Ireland Offline have done some great work.

Also I have a connection of 512k .. and the dload rate for such a connection is 52Kbs. Are you sure your not getting the Connection Speed mixed up with the dload rates?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Mr.Taz
    Couldn't have said it better :D

damn u taz... :mad: hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Originally posted by 124124
    May be its time communities like IrelandOffline and other agencies wake up and start protesting against this pathetic excuse of a broadband!

Didn't see you at the last protest, or the last ATM, what do you know.

• Advertisement

AGM no? :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In the US of A, connection speeds are normally between 512kbps to 2000 kbps
    as Dorathy said "I've a feeling we're not in Kasas anymore"

PS. Closer to home, (Sweden) it's 100,000 kbs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    AGM no? :/

I missed that one myself, :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

With connection rates of 40kbps to 60kbps, I am starting to wonder if what we are getting here is really 'broadband'!

In the US of A, connection speeds are normally between 512kbps to 2000 kbps (cable),

I have to say, I admire your bravery in displaying your ignorance so publicly.

DSL connection rates in Ireland are 512kbps and 1000kbps. just as they are in "the US of A". That's "kilobits per second", which translates to 50-60 kilobytes per second.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Slightly off topic but isn't there 2000kbps there somewhere too. Esat were/did(?) bring out that... I remember reading it a while back.

And is Eircom's highest speed not 1500 or 2000 yet? Thought they increased there capless top end one in speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by halenger
    Slightly off topic but isn't there 2000kbps there somewhere too. Esat were/did(?) bring out that... I remember reading it a while back.

And is Eircom's highest speed not 1500 or 2000 yet? Thought they increased there capless top end one in speed.

Esat have had 2mb dsl for about 2 years now, it's a business product though.

Strangely enough, oreillycom don't say what the specs of their various broadband services anymore - they seem to differentiate them solely based on price, and "download allowance". Even on the Business site, they are only offering signup for the "starter" service, but pricing information for the other options.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

It might have been when we enquired about it about a year back (a few of us were thinking of setting up our own wireless network to share a broadband connection) but I'm pretty sure Eircom's max speed was 1500kbps.

Their website is terrible now for giving information. Well more accurately it trys to sell you something without telling you what it actually is just what it "kind of" is.

I don't know how they can possibly sell DSL to companies especially with that sort of meaningless garbage on their website.

I don't know how they can possibly sell DSL to companies especially with that sort of meaningless garbage on their website.
    It probably tells you more about oreillycoms customers than it does about oreillycom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Eircom's best is istream enhanced - no download limits, 1024kbit down, 256kbit up for €169 per month ex vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Give it a couple of years we'll all be downloading 1,2 MB/S?????????????????

I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by joePC

I hope.

Rather have it now then pin it all on 'hope'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

With connection rates of 40kbps to 60kbps

Download speeds of 40-60 kbps are right for 512kb broadband compear that to the lovely 4 kbps (give or take) of 56k and yes indeed it is broadband ...I think your mistakeing Connection speed for Download speeds
    May be its time communities like IrelandOffline and other agencies wake up and start protesting against this pathetic excuse of a broadband!

:rolleyes: please :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

while japan will be getting 100,200 MB/S ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by bizmark
    Download speeds of 40-60 kbps are right for 512kb broadband

its 40-60 kBps ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

bytes bits eh! :D

ill stop makeing that mistake someday i promise

60 Kilobytes = 0.46 megs give or take .......so your broadband is working just fine m8

If your getting above 40 KB most days your fine

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Mr.Taz

The best reply I've seen all day :)

Oh and if you think 40-60k/sec is crap, count yourself lucky

I don't know about Esat or Eircom but in the UK BT consider anything over 30k/sec for a 512K as exceptable.

so enjoy your speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Ireland has other issues that needs to be resolved before they increase the speed... like the DL cap.

What difference does it make to anyone (except hardcore gamers) if you have 1Mbit or 100Mbit, if your DL is capped at something as retarded as 4gigs?

I think the first step is to lower the price to around 30yoyos a month for the standard eircom 512 line. Then, the cap needs to be increased to, at the minimum, 10gigs. Once that happens, they will start to offer faster connections so people can get better DL caps and speeds.

This alone will take atleast 2 years (I'm optimistic). :)

Once that happens, then we can resonably look at speeds higher than 1MBit.

I'm on the 1MBit eircom line, uncapped. Costs me 204yoyos a month. Lots of my friends back home (in Sweden) are on 26Mbit ADSL, 80yoyos a month, uncapped.

EDIT: If you're wondering why I left Sweden, here it is...

Sweden has the worlds highest tax-pressue. The taxbrackets are as follows: 33% is the first bracket, 50% is the second bracket, and 60% is the highest bracket. On top of that, the VAT is 25%. Furthermore, the employer pays 40% of your salary in a tax. Then, you have alcohol, tobacco and petrol, that have extra taxes.
    So, the country has good broadband, and the government is really pushing for higher speeds by subsidising broadband expansion and giving tax relief to companies... but it is being paid for from the taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

Well, no offence meant to IrelandOffline by my initial post, actually as far as I know that’s the most active and effective tech-community to get stuff done.

Yes, as most of you figured out, I think I messed up with download rates to connection speeds, but it was only out of my frustration over the poor download speeds that I am getting compared to what I used to get for similar (or less) money in the USA. (between 100-150 kbps and more, compared to 40-60kbps)

Good to know that most of boardsies are happy with these download speed’s

Pardon me for the confusion caused and again, no offence meant!

Cheers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Good to know that most of boardsies are happy with these download speed’s

No it's just we have no choice:rolleyes:; welcome to EIRE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭P3nfold

Originally posted by muffen
    Then, the cap needs to be increased to, at the minimum, 10gigs. Once that happens, they will start to offer faster connections so people can get better DL caps and speeds.

That's pessimistic =)

Ive had the privilege of having a 2 meg line for $35 a month and if you are pushing for a standardised 10gig cap along with increased speeds then I suggest you look no further than the end of this year. Eircom have the ability to distribute 1 meg residential connections as it is, but the wholesale prices would stop any other companies from doing so.

At the moment, they are content with a 512k service with a 4 gig cap while their competition is already allowing 8 gigs. We on the other hand are not content, and "we" being the the consumer, we have the power to push for decisions. Satisfy or lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

That's pessimistic =)

I was being sarcastic :)
    and if you are pushing for a standardised 10gig cap along with increased speeds then I suggest you look no further than the end of this year.

I hope you're right, although I expect to be on a 100MBit connection in Stockholm by the end of this year, with a 300gig DL cap :)

Originally posted by muffen
    I think the first step is to lower the price to around 30yoyos a month for the standard eircom 512 line. Then, the cap needs to be increased to, at the minimum, 10gigs. Once that happens, they will start to offer faster connections so people can get better DL caps and speeds.

Do you remember how long ago it is since oreillycom introduced DSL? We're actually in a much better position now than we were even 12 months ago. (DSL still cost €108/month this time last year!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Ripwave
    DSL still cost €108/month this time last year!
    Now theres a truly sobering thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

I'm getting 64KB/s all day every day as far as I can tell, then again I'm in Galway on the Esat BT business connection so the contention rate is probably very low, I might even be on my own :)

Advertisement