Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV in bargain shock!!!

• 04-01-2004 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

That's right, HMV bargain shocker!!!

Picked up three DVDs today in the Swords branch (Pavillions Shopping Centre).

Leon €7.99
    Once Upon A Time In America (2 Disc Set) €11.99
    Any Given Sunday (2 Disc Set) €12.99

The only one I saw cheaper online was Any Given Sunday, from www.cd-wow.com.hk for HK$107.99, roughly €11.

All three were more expensive on www.play.com.

I'm still in shock.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

:o U SERIOUS!??!?

They must have mispriced them ;) - that HAS to be it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

:D

Not at all.

And I didn't even get indignant when I wasn't allowed to use their book of money off vouchers because they were at sale prices.

Bloke behind the counter was very apologetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

There are alot of good deals in HMV over the year once your selective and arent looking for very current cds/dvds.

On Sunday I got 2 books (5 euros each ) and trainspotting for 24 quid and then I used a 3 euro off voucher from that voucher booklet without any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Trainspotting for 14 quid - not a bargain in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭revolver2k

Funnily enough i was allowed to use a voucher from one of those books on all sale items in HMV Grafton Street. It was a €10 discount if i spent over €60.

So i got :

memento(€12)
    The third Man (€15)
    Glengarry Glen Ross(€10) (Watched it today , it's excellent)
    Dogma (€7.99 !!!!)
    Road to perdition(€17)

came to €52 with voucher.

They have Some other really good movies nice n' cheap but i already have most of em anyway.

eg:
    28 days later , matrix w/ revisited , insomnia , one hour photo , solaris etc .... all for around €15 each .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

I too was allowed to use a voucher in the Cork HMV.

I got leon, saving p ryan and animatrix all for under 10 euro each!!

I got shrek for 16.99 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

jaysus.. i'll have to get me into hmv tomorrow. might even nick the gf's €20 voucher :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Originally posted by therecklessone
    :D

Not at all.

And I didn't even get indignant when I wasn't allowed to use their book of money off vouchers because they were at sale prices.

Bloke behind the counter was very apologetic.

varies from shop to shop

I used my €100 one in Grafton St but Henry st refused to take it
    Among my purchases in both were some reduced items

policy is not to take them for sale items I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth

policy is not to take them for sale items I believe

This is true. Me gots paul simon greatest hits for 8.99. Not bad, All digitally remastered and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Tower Records have "Even better than the real thing" for 19.99 in Wicklow St and 17.99 in Easons.
    It was yesterday that I was in Easons but I doubt if it has gone up since then.

It has some bargains though - Got the 4ofUs songs for the tempted for 6.99

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by kida
    Tower Records have "Even better than the real thing" for 19.99 in Wicklow St and 17.99 in Easons.
    It was yesterday that I was in Easons but I doubt if it has gone up since then.

It has some bargains though - Got the 4ofUs songs for the tempted for 6.99

Whats that 4 of us album like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Henry_14
    Whats that 4 of us album like?
    It's the designated "if you only buy one of their albums, buy this one" album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah, you can get some good bargains now and again in HMV.

I was there yesterday and got "Wonderland" by the Charlatans, "Thriller" (special edition) by Wacko, "Greatest Hits" by Space, and Trainspotting 2DVD Edition all for the not so grand total of €32! Not bad me thinks!!

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I got tonnes of DVD's off em from Grafton Street, root around, They also have/had the Back to the Future Trilogy for €33.

Deer Hunter, Heat, LA Confidential, all 9.99 afair. Holy Grail 12.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by Angry_Penguin
    There are alot of good deals in HMV over the year once your selective and arent looking for very current cds/dvds.

On Sunday I got 2 books (5 euros each ) and trainspotting for 24 quid and then I used a 3 euro off voucher from that voucher booklet without any problems.

i bought trainspotting a couple of days ago (the 2 disc definative collection one you mean?) for €12.99 out of HMV grafton street... why did you pay 25?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

i bought trainspotting a couple of days ago (the 2 disc definative collection one you mean?) for €12.99 out of HMV grafton street... why did you pay 25?

I didnt, I bought 2 books and trainspotting (2 disc dvd one) for 24 euros and got 3 euros off with vouchers, so that comes out at 21 euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Just a quick note: Be wary of HMV bargains if you're really into DVD's. They sell stuff off for a reason: Either they can't get rid of it, or more likely, there's a special edition or Box set coming out soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

And the award for stating the obvious goes to...

Sorry, but did you actually think that shops exist to do you a favour? They are there to make a profit after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by jill_valentine
    Just a quick note: Be wary of HMV bargains if you're really into DVD's. They sell stuff off for a reason: Either they can't get rid of it, or more likely, there's a special edition or Box set coming out soon...
    Yup, for instance someone mentioned they just got the deer hunter, I have it too, but there is a special edition out soon, and as for the animatrix, we all know that there will be a box set with all 3 films and the animatrix out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Jorinn
    Yup, for instance someone mentioned they just got the deer hunter, I have it too, but there is a special edition out soon
    Already out about a month ago. And it's in the current HMV promotion.

Most shops sell off old/ slow-moving stock to get it out of the way (Golden Discs, Virgin etc.) so that they can bring in stuff guaranteed to turnover quicker.
    You can get a decent ex-rental bargain if you're not too fussy about case condition etc from Xtravsion, though Chartbusters does have a wider selection, and the really large chains use Loss Leaders to entice the paying public into the shop.

What I mean is that HMV is the worst offender when it comes to Sell Off/ Special Edition strategy. Nastiest is when they offer a special price on various segments of a season and then whack out a boxset for a fraction of what it would have cost to assemble a few days before. Some of my friends and relatives work in music shops so I get a heads up (and a healthy discount...) but I've seen a lot of people get stung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

Sometimes its down to luck ! I was in Newry two weeks ago when the record store Sanity (near Sainsburys) was closing down. The prices were unreal,
    All cds were £2.00 , all DVDs were £2.00 and all Videos were 50p, the playstation2 games were a bit more expensive at £4.00

Spent a fortune on DVDs, CDs and games bought 15 cds, 12 DVDs and 6 playstation games for a total of £78 which was a little over 100Eur

Top quality stock, new releases etc.

:eek: Thats fantastic! You jammy git!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

From what I've seen, Dogma, Leon and (recently) Donne Darko have been added to their 7.99 band. Dogma and Leon have been available at those prices for many months now. Other than these loss leaders (either that, or they just shift _lots_ of copies) you're always better off avoiding hmv for DVD purchases.

Advertisement