Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Boot Problem. Help!!

• 04-01-2004 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

When I go to start my system I get the following message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

c:\windows\system32\config\system

It happened after I removed camera software using the uninstall provided.

I have tried "booting fom the last known good configuration" but get the same error.

I have also tried the repair console that is on the windows XP CD but I not not familiar with and have so far got no where with it.

Can anyone help, please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

That file forms part of your registry, very hard to repair ..... dont do anything for a while though, there are ways and means of getting your machine working again and I am sure someone here knows them :p ... unfortunately I am not one of them :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Stupid camera software has deleted something that is needed by something else on your PC. If you can find out what file it was then you might just be able to copy it back. Not sure how you will find what file it is if its not telling you. Otherwise your going to have to reinstall all you applications and/or windows. Be lets see what other people have to say.

Its stupid that a camera requires software. Because theres no reason for a camera to need software installed to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Not knowing the exact file/s is going to make it dificult, I personally would load the hdd with another PC as slave copy all your files over e.g.WORD,EXCEL etc, Foramt the Hdd and reinstall XP.

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 End_Item

Thanks for the replys guys, I will wait and see if there is anymore ideas before I proceed. As you say Joe I might have to put as slave to another system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

End_Item

the camera application made delete entries into the registry.

the corruption to the registry was probably caused by a lazy write by the camera installer application or an application shutting down that was terminated by windows in the middle of a registry read/write or query call.

what is your machine make ?
    you can possibly copy someone else registry over but
    baring in mind..

all your applications will have to be reinstalled .

• Advertisement

Gui,

It's a custom built system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

1. Start the setup media and press R at Welcome to Setup.

2. Press C to start the Recovery Console.

3. Select the install instance you wish to repair.

4. Enter the administrator password. If this is a domain controller, you must enter the Directory Services Restore Mode Adminstrator password.

5. Type the following commands:

cd system32\config
    ren system system.old
    ren system.alt systemalt.old

6. Copy the more recent of %SystemRoot%\repair\regback\system or %SystemRoot%\repair\system to the current folder (%SystemRoot%\System32\Config).

7. Type exit to restart.

SystemRoot being C:\WINNT.......I dont know if you need step 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

If you have your registry or System32 folder backed up, you could probably just copy it back across. However, without them, you're probably going to have to reformat.

Yep step six appears to be reduntant tell us if it works by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

sorry for jumpin in, but maybe u can help me offler. i tried goin into that recovery thing before but it sed i needed an admin password! wen i type it, it sez its the wrong one. i can log in as admin normally if i boot up as theres nothin wrong with my system, but just in case anything ever fuks up, i need to know if theres 2 admin passwords or watever! is there anything i can do to change it or reset it?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the posts guys, but it turned out to be a bit simpler to fix than i originaly thought. When in the recovery console i tried change to the %root%\system32\config\ directory and i recieved an enumeration error (and the contents would not display) - which was very easily fixed by using chkdsk. it found 1 error and when i restarted it worked fine.

thanks again guys

Originally posted by The_B_Man
    is there anything i can do to change it or reset it?

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Users and Passwords; click on users must use password etc.. choose the Admin a/c and select Set Password, see if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

1) Reformat the HD - why for petes sake?
    2) Copy the registry from another machine - I'd love someone to try that (kapboom)
    3) Has the Recovery Console ever worked for anyone? I've never seen it work. Same in w2k and NT. The machine always ended up screwed when someone tried that route.

End_Item - you got lucky. Time to relook at that regular backup plan you don't have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Yeah if something like this goes wrong with the registry then its best to reinstall, and NO ive never heard of anyone using the recovery console with total sucess.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

i had that same problem before. After reinstalling it happened again within 2 days. Turned out there was a bad HD in the machine. Now that your machine is up, it doesnt mean its going to stay like that. Make a ERD disk while you have the chance and a system state backup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

With a subtle gust of irony, the same thing happened to me this morning. Turns out I had to copy C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\software to the config directory though. Thanks for the 6-step programme OfflerCrocGod! I hadn't a clue how to use the recovery console otherwise.

Advertisement