Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.S.T.N.

Options
  • 17-02-2000 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Anyone give me any info on this?, it's something they can do to u're line to optimize it for data transfers. And if u get istn what are the advantages, increased stablility?, increased connect speeds etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

/me wonders did you get this information from Bubbles smile.gif

Jimmy...

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

I think u can get it done but i might have mixed up the name smile.gif, me da was on the phone to eircom so he might have got T mixed up with D smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Ok I'll be nice, beats workin anyway..

I assume you mean "ISDN" - "Integrated Services Digital Network". This is basically a digital phone line, which has two channels, so you could hook up two telephones to it, or a telephone and a computer.

The lines are digital, so you need an adapter - "Terminal Adapter (TA)" to use the line. The TA plugs into the ISDN unit that Eircom install in your house, you then plug your computer and normal phone into the TA.

ISDN is good because:

1. It has higher bandwidth - 64kbps, as opposed to 56bkps with normal modems (which you never get on a modem, the highest I ever got was about 44kbps).

2. Much lower latency - if you ping at 150-200 to a quake server using a modem, you can expect to ping at 50-100 using an ISDN line.

3. More stable - it doesn't break connection as often (I've found) or retrain or anything like that.

4. Faster connect time - ISDN gets you online in about 1 second, as opposed to 30 seconds a modem takes while it beeps and gurgles to itself.

Have a look at Eircom's ISDN page for more info:
    http://www.eircom.ie/AtHome/Products/isdn.html

ISDN in Dublin will take about 3-4 months to install. It will cost 200-300 quid to install, and about 35 quid a month rental (I think). You will also have to buy a TA (about 70 quid for an internal PCI one, or about 200 quid for a decent external one)

All of the ISPs support ISDN, in the case of Eircom Net, you just have to ring up and tell them and they'll switch you over - there is no additional cost to using ISDN with them.

Hope that helps..

Teeth.

I.S.D.N. aint what i meant, but say u're on eircom, what are the costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

same as usual phone costs, except line rental is 30 quid a month instead of 20 quid for 2 months like a normal phone line

and no, afaik there is no such thing as istn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

All the isps except esat snl, any news on esat doint snl isdn. I hear rumors before christmass will this ever happen, anyone know...

thks for replys, what is snl?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

surf no limits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Wan the no-limits!!! Connect every day at 6pm, then, disconnect every morning at 8am sunglasses.gif

[This message has been edited by Steven (edited 17-02-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It's the biz.

Play GLminesweeper! Lunacy Abounds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

its good but you have all the ppl that connect and download for a few min and then disconnect.(they take up our bandwidth)
    dam normal ppl!!!

but I'm not mad (well not that much)

Sutty any reply from u're retailer yet? smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 18-02-2000).]

Advertisement