Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cisse jets in for medical

• 04-01-2004 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

Auxerre striker Djibril Cisse flewto Liverpool on Sunday for a medical but denied having signed a pre contract agreement to secure an Anfield move in July.
    "I want to move to Liverpool and I'm sure I'll play at Anfield next season but I havent signed anything yet," said the 22 year old frenchman.

"It would be impossible for me to do so because I'm still under contract with Auxeree until 2005."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I'm a big admirer of Cisse but does anyone else think its kind of stupid for Liverpool to sign another player similar to Owen? Would it not be better to find someone who can support Owen instead? and i don't think Owen or Cisse will sit on the bench tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

Cisse is not that similar to Owen, except that both score goals.

Cisse is preety much what Heskey should be. Big, strong fast, very good in the air and lethal in front of goal. He can also stay on his feet.

He'll be a very good partner to Owen I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Houllier has denied any paperwork involvement to date, but it seems a certaintity at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Tray

A nice link to a site with vids of a selection of Cisse's goals
    http://ajauxerre.phidji.com/_private/download/videos.asp?Num_Pers=17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

According to Houllier it's rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He must be just sight seeing the beautiful city that is Liverpool so.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

cisse will be a good addition as i have a feeling he will be replacing owen next season, 30 million for owen and we get 3 quality players, definately need a centre back and a right winger as we were shocking against yeovil on sunday, anyone else like to c o neill :) grace our shores next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Tray

Originally posted by The Muppet

Whatever about footie, Liverpool is a University town with 2 of the biggest uni's in the UK. The women are only amazing over there! It'd make even seeing Everton a more pleasurable experience;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Originally posted by The Muppet

have you ever seen manchester
    what a dump!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Jesus Jank leave it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Cisse is pretty much what Heskey should be

thats fairly spot on from what I've seen of him... he's a regular in the french team now, or would be regular if he hadn't got himself banned for a few matches..

By all accounts the only reason the deal won't go through is if he fails his final medical or Liverpool pull out of the deal, I read a while back that some preliminary payments had already been made. Cisse also said last week that he'll be playing for Liverpool regardless of Houlliers position - it had been reported that the deal would fall through if Houllier was forced out of the club. If we manage to keep Owen, I'd be more than happy having Owen/Baros/Pongolle/Cisse as our four main strikers , just need a few midfielders and defenders now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Cisse is the quality that Liverpool need to partner or challenge the other strikers there for their positions. At least 'when' he arrives, Liverpool will then have the quality to rotate the players in two positions - goalkeepers and strikers.

A big part of Liverpool's problem this season has been not being able to score goals. The games against Villa, Spurs, Arsenal and Utd are all games that would have been won had 1 or 2 of the many chances they had in each match been converted. Now if that had happened we might be looking at a very different PL table at the moment. People can cry all they want at Houllier to leave but thats been one of Liverpool's main problems this season (the others being the length of the injury list and lack of backup and pace in central defence)

I will wait with anticipation for next season when GH has to choose between Cisse, Owen, Pongolle, Baros and Mellor for the starting front men :)

The strikeforce isn't the main problem imo. I think they need a creative midfielder. Liverpool have become rather predictable imo.

Also does anyone else think that Houllier made a major blunder in selling Litmanen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Yes, and Berger too. Berger used to be my favourite Liverpool player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Litmanen wanted guaranteed first team football something which he was never going to be guaranteed and didn't get when he moved to Ajax - he whinged about Ajax seeing him as only a utility player prior to his move but he finally agreed to it.

Berger left on a Bosman because he refused a one year contract extension. He felt he deserved a better contract and basic wage even though he had spent the majority of the previous two seasons injured. He certainly didn't feel that he owed it to the club to remain for another season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

Brill, just what we need. Another french jit. What is GH's plan? They cant sack me because very few english based managers speak french?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Cisse will help Liverpool score goals and get back on form

God know's they need it

I think he would be a brilliant addition to the squad. He could form a great partnership with Owen and he has played up front with Pongolle with Le Tallac supporting for France U-21. I think/hope that he will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

cisse, he'll be as good as sylvain wiltord if he's lucky... similar track record in france if i'm not mistaken.

Yeah thats the thing too. The French league isn't the best and Auxerre aren't even the top team in it. Cisse hasn't done anything on a bigger stage. Granted hes played a couple of times for France but he hasn't exactly set the world alight. Another Diouf?!

• Advertisement

All you guys knocking Cisse. Have you actually seen him play????

I've watched a number of game on Eurosport and I have to admit he looks awesome. Huge amount of pace and ability. Knows exactly where the net is and give defenders a torrid time with his strenght.

Watch the guy properly before you say he another Wiltord. Thats an insult to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

Of course I've seen him play, a good few times infact... but it's the same as saying did you ever see wiltord play in France? He was the dogs wotsits at the time! Another thing I'd like to point out is, I don't think wiltord is that bad a player! it's just that he isn't top drawer in my opinion. Cisse has been impressive in the french league though, agreed on that. I stand to be prooven wrong but knowing liverpool's track record for signing the 'next big thing'... he's likely to flop!

they should never have sold fowler! it's all been downhill since he left! :p how many trophies have they won since then!? ;) liverpools loss, citehs gain, 3 in 4 games now!

Originally posted by JaneyMackers
    All you guys knocking Cisse. Have you actually seen him play????

I've watched a number of game on Eurosport and I have to admit he looks awesome. Huge amount of pace and ability. Knows exactly where the net is and give defenders a torrid time with his strenght.

Watch the guy properly before you say he another Wiltord. Thats an insult to him.

We have seen him play too. True hes doing great with Auxerre but as I said they're not the top team in France and the league isn't that great to be honest. It's like a player banging them in in Division 1, he won't necessarily do it in the Premiership.

Wiltord was great when he was in France. I'm not saying hes bad now but hes not totally lived up to expectations has he?

I hope Cisse comes and does well but the point I'm making is that he is very much unproven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

french league has 2 teams leading their respective group in CL (monaco and lyon) + some others in UEFA like bordeaux, sochaux, marseille, auxerre....
    the problem is that we can't keep our best players and only few teams are able to buy international classy players.
    but the french school of football has produce many famous players inclued african players.

about cissé, he is the best scorer of the french league, very fast, powerful but his technic is not still at its best, he is young, he can still improve his technic.

Guy Roux has confirmed on sky sports that Cisse was in Anfield at the start of the week to check out the facilities and for medical examinations. He said that player and club have reached agreement for a summer move and all that has to be finalised is the fee which is in the region of 13.8million (20million EURO).

Here

Wiltord is a about half a foot smaller. Less power ful and less of a Cisse type player.

If your going to say he's another Wiltord why not say will he be another Trezeguet or another Saha or another Henry. Mind he was a winger when he went to italy.

Its very easy to be negative. However he is the leagues top scorer. Is in the French national team since the age of 20. Wiltord did not make his debut until after he went to England. He has gotton banned and the French National coach is going mad about it. Shows how much he is in his plans.

And i must say i didn't rate wiltof when he was in france i used to see see miss open goals. There was always something that made me think he was not top drawer.

Just info worth considering.

Lili.

I understand what you are saying. However the fact the all you best players go abroad and few teams can buy internationl is probably one of the most signifcant reasons that France's national is so strong. You best players go abroand and you have a decent legue with CL places for you younger players to come through too and develop.

England's problem half the time is their young players have no room in the PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭SuperStudent

Cisse suits Liverpool's style of play. They're both overrated and mediocre at best.
    He looks like an idiot aswel which would suit him playing with similar looking idiots
    like mini forehead Gerrard the knacker, Risse, Heskey and Cinema Pongo whatever.
    Long live Gerrard Hullahoops.
    14 yrs, 14 yrs, 14 yrs!!

Should you not be at school!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement