Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Federasion ground forces

Options
  • 05-01-2004 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

What type of ground forces do you think the federasion would have ?

do you think it has hover tanks or Star wars type walkers ? what kind of Heavy phasers (not hand held) do you think they have how big would the feds standing army be etc

debate your brains out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i never really considered the ground forces of the federation or how much they would need them, especially when they can kick the crap out of a planet from above.

anywho, i suppose they could have mobile phaser platforms (maybe i've read about them in a book) and then you see the likes of the rocket launcher thingy that worf had in insurection. i supppose they would equip everyone with type 3 phasers also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

well the feddys arent into orbit bombing (after all they dont destory if they can avoid it) so they WOULD have to have a standing army trained in the peacekeeping role till a planet could be released form fed rule (at the end of a war or something)

its not unlikely that the federasion could have a standing army in the region of 10 million +

seeming the population is above 1 trillion

i'd say it would nearly be more in a u.n capacity then in an occupation force. however they are not above imposing marial law if needed iirc that episode of ds9 correctly.

its pritty populor in fandom that the feddys is a Commy state (a nice one but a commy state never the less) and that ep was the militry trying to over trow the earths/Feds goverment ( replaceing the civy commy gov with a militry commy gov) ...........anyway.......

be more in a u.n capacity then in an occupation force.

maybe But maybe the big planets (earth andor and other war like races in the fed) send their army to fight in a un role with the fed when not at war but when they are it reverts back to its militry role :dunno:

did any of that make sence ?

i don't think individual planets could just decide what to do with human troops etc, it would all be controlled via the federation and starfleet with one whole general foreign policy etc.

• Advertisement

well maybe each planet (earth could have 2-3 million stand troops andor could have 4-8 million being a war race etc) could contribute to a UN style Federasion militry the planets would give as much as they can more than likely under a law in the charter on the fed to the federasion in times of war while leaveing enough on the planet to defend it in case of invasion

however dureing peace the planets only hand over a small precent of their militry for peacekeeping mission

Theirfore keeping to the federasion being a kinda commy un of planets :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

hmm i guess some sort of small fighters to have close air suport for the ground forces , since orbital bombing couldnt kill all the enemy, some sort of combat gear and perhaps hover tanks with their own shields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

well theyed have phaser canons and rifles galor, but i wonder do they have snipers, id say the use ships like runabouts as there tanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I think however by the time the orbital defences are destroyed its all over for the planet thats going to be invaded

Originally posted by LastIrishMonkey
    well theyed have phaser canons and rifles galor, but i wonder do they have snipers, id say the use ships like runabouts as there tanks :D

well i'd say they do have snipers going by the zoom thingy shown in enterprise last week and the weapon erzi dax used in season 7 of DS9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Originally posted by bizmark
    well the feddys arent into orbit bombing (after all they dont destory if they can avoid it) so they WOULD have to have a standing army trained in the peacekeeping role till a planet could be released form fed rule (at the end of a war or something)

its not unlikely that the federasion could have a standing army in the region of 10 million +

seeming the population is above 1 trillion

I dont thin that would be right.. would it?

The federation is comprised of 145 wourlds? is that right spead across 800 light years.. hmmmm i think thats right and if you average 7-10 billion per planet and multiply.... we its allot but i dont think its a Trillion.

you alsohave to remember that probbley only about 10-20% of the federatins population actualy serve in starfleet/military capicity

The federation personel in DS9 (cant remember the episode name Ar4558 i think its calld (the 1 wher enog loses his leg)) In that episode they seem to be well trained for trench warefare. although the federation arnt into orbital bombardment the dominion are. Why didnt they just bomb the federation and the planet into oblivion?

When the feds controled that dominin comunactions array

The federation is comprised of 145 wourlds? is that right spead across 800 light years.. hmmmm i think thats right and if you average 7-10 billion per planet and multiply.... we its allot but i dont think its a Trillion.

10 x 100 = 1,000 50 x 10 = 500 Thats 1,5 trillion just for the major member planets acording to kirk the fed has over a 1,000 planets soooooooooooooooooo you could say that each major member planet has at lest 10-50 colony worlds (each with a fraction of the home world but still would be MASSIVE) and the rest are proctected planets or just not good enough to be considered member planets but still in the fed all the same.You could easly get up to 3 trillion

Oh and its ment to be 8000 light years but ds9 seems to suggest a less spread out Federasion because even at warp 9 it would take 10 years to cross the fed :dunno:

yes soory your right it is 8000 light years , thats a 8 year yourney from one side to the other?

So if 1 borg cube began a attack on a outer federation wourld and instead of typical borg tatics (head straight of rthe home wourld)
    If that borg ship was just going planet by planet of the federations outer terrirotys how long would it take the federation to assemble a fleet in the outer terroris to attack the cube?

God the federation could sure do with transwarp..

if they needed to pull a lot of ships from one side of the fed to the other it would take nearly 20-30 year's (given that not all ship's travel at warp 9 and the adverage is only 6)

but more than likely the fed wouldnt need to pull ship's away from one side of the fed as they have over 25,000 captial (so fans bleave) i think they have more personal maybe up to 40,000 - 50,000

Well could they actualy have that much? During the dominion war they did have a massive border to defend (The Cardassion and Breen borders) and at one stage there was a trd border to defend against (DS9 area)

but considering that at one stage the Dominion captured betazed and neered vulcan space whathappened to those 25000 ships

A lot of ships where destroyed in the war over 1,000 in the first few days i think at the end of the war the fed was down to 5-7,000 ships

Plus remember the fed cant pull ALL ships off their normal duitys ....they would still have to guard the boarders against other empirs proform police duitys train refit resupply .....the Enterprise -E was on diplomatic duitys etc

True, and remember for the first half of the war a part of the federation fleet was stationed along the romulan border

The Federation did take massive casulties in the War but the kingons took the brunt of it

As Sloan Said "At the end of the war the folowing will happen in short order. The dominion will be pushed back to the gamma quadrent the cardassion union will be occupied. The klingons will spend the next 10 years recovering from the war and be a threat to anyone. That leaves to powers to vie for control of the quadrents, The Federation and the romulans"

Also remember in the final attack the romulans took ridiclus casulties and lost there flagship aswell

The rommys arent a match for the fed.....

Or the dominion those Gemhadar attack ships are very manoverable and i didnt know the breen ships could move that fast!

well we didnt know the breen even had ships before ds9 seasion 6-7 :p

• Advertisement

I wonder what is suposed to happen next with the breen. i wouldnt be suprised if the klings or roms wanted to have a go at breen space

Are the breen just going to go back to there old policy of sitting in there space and destroying any ships that go in

Remember during the klingon empires 2nd dynisty chancler marcuincgung (i think) send a fllet to conquer the breen home wourld and they where neaver heard from again

So you remember (i think it was the 3rd episode) the 3rd epsiode of enterpise season 1 there was a ship that had attacked another ship and they dead bodies had liquid being drained from them (could have been T cells)

Then the same ship attcked the enterprise and was later destoyed by enterpeise and another ship. do you think that should could have been breen? it looked rather breen-ish

anyone rememeber the reason why klingon ships were immune to the breen energy weapon?

The defecltor of one of the bop's got a minor upgrade that stoped the effects of the weapion

i think it was only one bop that lived though the first use of the breen weapions :eek:

I think it was actualy to compensate for a problem in the engine core (warp drive) but im not 100% on that one. I could have been the deflector array

Advertisement