Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Bye Windows 98/98SE

Options
  • 05-01-2004 2:34am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

According to slashdot Win98/98SE is gone the way of the Dodo as of Jan 16th :)

I don't know about anyone else but I see this as a bloody good thing, for the majority of users that use Win98 they'll have to upgrade to WinXP eventually and I think in the end they'll be happier users due to the lack of one of Win9x features
    the beloved BSOD
    :D

Though in saying all of that, it don't stop the odd memory dump in Win2k\xp (NT)

Image below is Eircoms Internet Phone BSOD (NT4)
    http://www.cabaal.org/gallery/eircom/001.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

If you look carefully, you'll notice that that bugcheck is build 1381 (Windows NT4), not Windows 2000 or XP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

there's a problem with your slashdot link, it brings up the post new thread page instead of the slashdot page.

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/04/2158233.shtml?tid=109&tid=185&tid=187&tid=190&tid=201

Don't think it'll affect things too much. If someone was that worried about bugfixes etc. then they would have already migrated from Windows '98 to Windows 2000. The only people left on Windows '98 atm are the totally apathetic and people on old hardware I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Good riddance too. Win98se was the best of Win9x but I have grown to loath it since w2k.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by ColmOT [MSFT]
    If you look carefully, you'll notice that that bugcheck is build 1381 (Windows NT4), not Windows 2000 or XP :)

I realise that, I actually typed that arseways...
    I ment if you get a BSOD in Win2K/Xp (NT in general) its a more serious problem then a BSOD in Win9x.

As for the digi camera image, yeah its WinNT4 64MB/Ram I'm well aware of that :D
    Originally posted by amp
    Good riddance too. Win98se was the best of Win9x but I have grown to loath it since w2k.

All they need to do now is kill of WinME :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

Originally posted by Cabaal

All they need to do now is kill of WinME :)

hehe, I don't think winMe needs any help with that, it does the job perfectly well on its own :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

WinME - three legged win2000/win98 mongrel. Will accumulate digital mange after 2 weeks of being left on your computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

about 27% of the internet users use 98
    nov03_pie.gif

That's more than NT + Linux + 95 + MAC + Others put together
    Also 2000 only accounts for 19%

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/04/2158233.shtml?tid=109&tid=185&tid=187&tid=190&tid=201
    The day somebody finds an easy way to "root" win98 machines remotely, they could potentially use 27% of the internet-reachable machines in the world.
    Actually 98 has been immune to most of the ROOT problems that NT/2K/XP/2003 have had with msblaster etc. - also there less rpc - remote control vectors..

With windows 95 (and likely 98 now), Microsoft is removing the availability of critical updates (equivalent factory recalls). They then wield the power via copyright law and DMCA to prevent anyone from making them available to people who run win 98, thus forcing a paid upgrade.

From a Network Support position at a University, I almost wished they discontinued Windows Me before they did 98. We have more problems with ME than any other OS, mostly due to it being a peice of sh1t.

I suspect MS has just lost a lot of hardware developers. Win98 was the last MS operating system that allowed direct access to the I/O ports and memory. This allowed the hardware to be built and a quick and dirty software system to be hacked up in user space.

This is no longer the case. Instead hardware designers will be required to get bogged down in driver developement, just to get the first few bits into and out of their systems. In my limited experience with MS Windows driver development, DDK information is 'restricted' and 'quick and dirty' tests are no longer possible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://msnbc.msn.com/Default.aspx?id=3660516&p1=0

Dec. 8, 2003 - Microsoft will retire several of its products next week, including Windows 98 and SQL Server 7, to comply with a court order related to its dispute with Sun Microsystems over Java. In a posting to Microsoft’s developer Web site, the company lists several older products that are being phased out and that will no longer be available to customers as of Dec. 15.

The roster of products to be dropped includes SQL Server 7, Office XP Developer, Windows 98, and a number of Office 2000-related tools and patches. Microsoft said it will update Java-compliant versions of some products by the end of December, including Office XP Professional with FrontPage, Publisher 2002, Windows NT 4.0 and Small Business Server 2000. (MSNBC is a Microsoft - NBC joint venture.)

According to an agreement reached with Sun over the distribution of the Java virtual machine, Microsoft’s software has to run Java programs. Microsoft has the right to modify Microsoft’s Java software to fix critical bugs or security holes through January 2, 2004.

LOL :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by mike65
    psht! Old news Cabaal!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131600

Mike.

awww crap!
    now I'm going to have to go home and kill myself...again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement