Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Bray Tower

• 05-01-2004 3:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭

just wondering does any1 know when this tower will live?

just thought i'd ask here before i email them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Didn't know they were planning a tower in Bray, hopefully they'll put it high on the Sugarloaf to get broad coverage.

If you do get an answer from them on the placement please post it here as I'm sure a lot of people would be interested,

Thanks

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i mailed them and i will reply with the answer when i get it.

sugar loaf will probaly be where it's located cos bray head is occupied by something else :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Is IBB line of sight?? cause if it is and they put it on the sugarloaf or even the little sugarloaf, anywhere east of the Vevay road is ****ed! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

AFAIK IBB have both LOS and non-LOS gear. There are a number of threads about their Navini (non-LOS) equipment which so far appears to have only been rolled out on 3-Rock.

M.

they havn't got back to me in this yet.

but do u think that tower will support their ripwave product since not all the towers do?

i will ring them tomorrow to see what the story is.... i'm going crazy i need broadband now

• Advertisement

Beeze Home is a wireless Internet access system, which requires a small antenna to be placed on the customer's roof

just wondering how small is this small antenna?

any have like a measurement would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    they havn't got back to me in this yet.

but do u think that tower will support their ripwave product since not all the towers do?

i will ring them tomorrow to see what the story is.... i'm going crazy i need broadband now
    IBB were granted 3.5GHz licenses in November. It has been hinted that they plan to use the non-Line-of-Sight RipWave gear in their 3.5GHz roll-out, but there hasn't been anything definitive from them. They'll have to upgrade the gear on their towers when they switch to 3.5GHz whichever technology they use.

(I'm currently using the RipWave 2.4GHz kit from 3Rock, and IBB haven't been in touch with me about any upgrading).

ok i get you (i think).

is their service any good for online gaming (mainly counter-strike) or it is like satilite (spelling.)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

just wondering how small is this small antenna?

any have like a measurement would be great
    It's about one foot square (wire mesh - very unobtrusive), usually attached to a pole on your chimney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

I got a reply last week to a phone call re coverage in Loughlinstown/Shankill.
    No coverage yet, but Bray is coming up. When I asked?? A few months?
    The reply was that it could be 5 or 6 weeks. Ring back then...

• Advertisement

is their service any good for online gaming (mainly counter-strike)

no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Well, wait a bit before you buy... in case you hadn;t noticed, they have removed "online gaming" from the list of uses for their service, as their current equipment just ain't good enough for low pings constantly.

However when the move over completely to 3.5ghz, this problem might be solved. If you don't mind waiting, i'll be getting this new equipment "in the near future". Which means that after having 2 months of extremely slow internet (this is due to interference on the current frequencies they use. At times the speed is similar to a 14.4k modem), and several converstaions about it, they'll fix me up soon with equipment that works properly. I'll let ya know about the pings if/wjem i get the stuff.

EDIT: However when it works (which is rarely) it is possible to get pings as low as 50ms in game (and a few times i got less in irish servers) BUT, i repeat BUT, i havn;t gotten anything under 800ms during the last 2 months, this is probably due to interference. Before this started happening, the ping was a bit bouncy (the say it was interference again), making for a very unenjoyable game of CS.

Advertisement