Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

d-link router wont auto connect to iolbb?

• 05-01-2004 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

have a dlink router (dsl 504 i think) and iolbb every thing works fine except when the router is first turned on it wont log on to the net i have to do this manually.
    a friend of mine (in holland) also has a router for his adsl (not a d-link) and his logs on to the net when turned on.
    is there an option in the settings to enable this? (couldnt see it my self)

hope some one can help me,
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by jozi
    have a dlink router (dsl 504 i think) and iolbb every thing works fine except when the router is first turned on it wont log on to the net i have to do this manually.
    a friend of mine (in holland) also has a router for his adsl (not a d-link) and his logs on to the net when turned on.
    is there an option in the settings to enable this? (couldnt see it my self)
    Yes, the DSL-504 has a PPPoE client.

It's on page 2 of the Quick Start Guide.

(search this forum for "encapsulation" if you don't know the right settings).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

if your router is anything like the one i'm currently using, and from looking at that manual i'd say it is, it doesn't support auto-connection. If you disconnect where's the major hassle in just logging into the router and hitting connect? However it may have the feature to connect on demand, i.e. when an app on your computer tries to dial out, your router will connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

thanks will try sort it out later when i get home,

just starting to find it irritating that i have to log into the router every time and even then it doesnt connect first go, plus my father isnt very good on a pc and he doesnt know how to do it wich means i have to do it for him (no mather how often i show him :mad: )

Originally posted by BoB_BoT
    if your router is anything like the one i'm currently using, and from looking at that manual i'd say it is, it doesn't support auto-connection. If you disconnect where's the major hassle in just logging into the router and hitting connect? However it may have the feature to connect on demand, i.e. when an app on your computer tries to dial out, your router will connect.
    The DSL-504 does connect-on-demand (it's on by default). There should never be any need to "log-in" to the router to connect to DSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

I have that problem, on and off on my dlink 504 iswell. I think its something to do with my line as I'm getting a few errors reported on 'line condition'. Updating the firmware helped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Afto agree with Ripwave my D-Link is always on and does Connection on Demand (it should be there on the very first page when you log in); do you turn off your Router frequently?; if so why?:confused:.

i have turned connect on demand on i still have to go to the log in screen.
    it just says connect there for a while and then a error message, when i hit connect it nearly always connects straight away?
    we turn it of because its on the same power lead as the pc and it gets turned of after use

Originally posted by jozi
    i have turned connect on demand on i still have to go to the log in screen.
    it just says connect there for a while and then a error message, when i hit connect it nearly always connects straight away?
    we turn it of because its on the same power lead as the pc and it gets turned of after use
    Well plug it into a different powerpoint then. Turning it off is obviously causing more trouble than it's worth (it's only drawing 15 or 20 watts, probably, so it's not really that big a deal to just leave it on all the time, even when the computer is off).

that was the idea at the moment its only a temp solution until we finish doing up the room with the pc.

does the router try to reconect when it fails, anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yes it does all that automatically - or at least it does for me.....plug it into the phone line and it will login on it's own; no need for any intervention.

• Advertisement
Advertisement